Last 4 Games...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:45 pm I can barely think of a 3 star recruit for us that’s done dick poop
Josh Allen.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

calpoke25 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:27 pm You’re cherry picking a few examples. Yeah some guys had other offers but I’m talking the recruiting as a whole. As a whole we’ve been ranked very low.
I'm actually not cherry picking - I'm pointing out the (almost) only positions where we've been able to recruit three star talent who other schools were after. If you look at our entire roster, WR and QB is where almost all our 3 star guys are (Overstreet was one too, and I do think he had talent, but the busted knee set him back quite a bit, and then once he finally started breaking out, he got hurt again and called it quits).

In other words, if we have two positions where recruiting services claim we have ALL our talent, shouldn't those be the positions where we actually see results on the field?!

I still think this all points to Vigen, whether we're talking lack of development or actual play calling.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:51 pm
laxwyo wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:45 pm I can barely think of a 3 star recruit for us that’s done dick poop
Josh Allen.
Josh was a 3 star with an EMU offer. Any others? Seems like a lot of our 3 star wash out.
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:47 pm
laxwyo wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:43 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:06 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:41 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:57 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:25 am
Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:00 am Points Scored Opponent
29 New Mexico State
19 Washington State
13 Missouri
17 Wofford
14 Boise
13 Hawaii
3 Fresno

The poop part of this is our offense has steadily been getting worse. It's like they have packed it in. This says allot about the coaching. The defense has still been playing hard. It's a disgrace.
This tells me that the staff is utterly incapable of identifying a problem and implementing adjustments. Completely and totally out coached. sad. Fire them
Changing coordinators isn't going to make any of the offensive players any better. Not one of them would start on another MWC team outside of Nico.
you don’t understand jack about football if you don’t think the players are being held back.
I hope they change coordinators so when you’re wrong I can come on here and run you off this board.
You’re too much of an asshat to run anyone off the board. I think you like Wyoming losing because you can say, “I told you so”.
Nope. I’d rather all you were right. I can just see things for what they are I guess.
Except when we’re winning bowl games and you call our defense a bunch of kitty after a loss?
W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

I should point out that whomever's been helping Cooper Rothe train does deserve some credit, though.

He's been perfect this season, even though we haven't given him that much work.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:02 pm
Josh Allen.
Josh was a 3 star with an EMU offer. Any others? Seems like a lot of our 3 star wash out.
Well, like I mentioned in my previous post, Vigen's been in charge of a very large percentage of our recent 3 star recruits, including Smith. Allen's really the exception.

Our other coaches have been able to do way more with less talent.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:04 pm
29 New Mexico State
19 Washington State
13 Missouri
17 Wofford
14 Boise
13 Hawaii
3 Fresno

The poop part of this is our offense has steadily been getting worse. It's like they have packed it in. This says allot about the coaching. The defense has still been playing hard. It's a disgrace.
This tells me that the staff is utterly incapable of identifying a problem and implementing adjustments. Completely and totally out coached. sad. Fire them
Changing coordinators isn't going to make any of the offensive players any better. Not one of them would start on another MWC team outside of Nico.
you don’t understand jack about football if you don’t think the players are being held back.
I hope they change coordinators so when you’re wrong I can come on here and run you off this board.
You’re too much of an asshat to run anyone off the board. I think you like Wyoming losing because you can say, “I told you so”.
Nope. I’d rather all you were right. I can just see things for what they are I guess.
Except when we’re winning bowl games and you call our defense a bunch of kitty after a loss?
Bowl games plural?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:06 pm
Josh Allen.
Well, like I mentioned in my previous post, Vigen's been in charge of a very large percentage of our recent 3 star recruits, including Smith. Allen's really the exception.

I don’t think there’s any difference between 2 and 3 star recruit. Nick Smith was a 3 as well. 4 star is different. Boise gets them. We don’t
W-Y, Until I Die!
specialteamsguru
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:21 am
Josh Allen.

I don’t think there’s any difference between 2 and 3 star recruit. Nick Smith was a 3 as well. 4 star is different. Boise gets them. We don’t
Boise's 4 stars aren't the differentiator. It's player development of the 2 & 3 star players
In 2014 Boise got 2 4 stars- they red shirted one and the other got dismissed from the team
In 2015 Rypien was their only 4 star
In 2016 Boise got no 4 or 5 star recruits
In 2017 Boise got one 4 star recruit a DB- they redshirted and he isn't visible on their depth chart yet
In 2018 Boise got a TE that didn't red shirt, but has no stats this year yet
That's 5 four star recruits since 2014 and only one has made an early significant impact.

Vigen and the offensive staff has had FBS size and speed within the skill positions that came to Laramie with greater stats and physical attributes than they have all ever coached, save Wentz. Speaking of Wentz, the fact that he remained on the bench at NDSU behind Brock speaks to their collective lack of talent development and recognition. Hurts at Alabama giving up time to Tagovailoa is what coaches do when they recognize talent and are serious about making 'changes'.

Smith is a big brain that knows the offense. He should be sharing time at QB. TVW hasn't fully developed yet, and it's not clear if he even has the green light to audible. If he doesn't..it's a true coaching shame. If he does have that power, it's a shame that it's not been demonstrated effectively. Especially when the box is so frequently stacked against us.

If Bohl so loves Vigen, and is hitching his Wyo wagon to "Mr. Waste First Down", the least he could do to demonstrate change for the rest of the season is fire his own kid from the staff.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

specialteamsguru wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:04 pm
laxwyo wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:21 am
Josh Allen.

Boise's 4 stars aren't the differentiator. It's player development of the 2 & 3 star players
In 2014 Boise got 2 4 stars- they red shirted one and the other got dismissed from the team
In 2017 Boise got one 4 star recruit a DB- they redshirted and he isn't visible on their depth chart yet
That's 5 four star recruits since 2014 and only one has made an early significant impact.

Vigen and the offensive staff has had FBS size and speed within the skill positions that came to Laramie with greater stats and physical attributes than they have all ever coached, save Wentz. Speaking of Wentz, the fact that he remained on the bench at NDSU behind Brock speaks to their collective lack of talent development and recognition. Hurts at Alabama giving up time to Tagovailoa is what coaches do when they recognize talent and are serious about making 'changes'.

Smith is a big brain that knows the offense. He should be sharing time at QB. TVW hasn't fully developed yet, and it's not clear if he even has the green light to audible. If he doesn't..it's a true coaching shame. If he does have that power, it's a shame that it's not been demonstrated effectively. Especially when the box is so frequently stacked against us.

If Bohl so loves Vigen, and is hitching his Wyo wagon to "Mr. Waste First Down", the least he could do to demonstrate change for the rest of the season is fire his own kid from the staff.
Great point about development. I always assumed Bosie got more four star recruits.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

specialteamsguru wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:04 pm Boise's 4 stars aren't the differentiator. It's player development of the 2 & 3 star players

Thanks for doing this work. I was about to start digging through their recruiting myself to see who their difference makers had been...
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

specialteamsguru wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:04 pm Smith is a big brain that knows the offense. He should be sharing time at QB. TVW hasn't fully developed yet, and it's not clear if he even has the green light to audible. If he doesn't..it's a true coaching shame. If he does have that power, it's a shame that it's not been demonstrated effectively. Especially when the box is so frequently stacked against us.
This discredits your entire post. We've seen Nick Smith play. We know what he can do (run) and what he can't (literally every other aspect of the position).
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

29 New Mexico State
19 Washington State
13 Missouri
17 Wofford
14 Boise
13 Hawaii
3 Fresno

From your lips to God's ears... :rofl:
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:56 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:27 pm You’re cherry picking a few examples. Yeah some guys had other offers but I’m talking the recruiting as a whole. As a whole we’ve been ranked very low.
I'm actually not cherry picking - I'm pointing out the (almost) only positions where we've been able to recruit three star talent who other schools were after. If you look at our entire roster, WR and QB is where almost all our 3 star guys are (Overstreet was one too, and I do think he had talent, but the busted knee set him back quite a bit, and then once he finally started breaking out, he got hurt again and called it quits).

In other words, if we have two positions where recruiting services claim we have ALL our talent, shouldn't those be the positions where we actually see results on the field?!

I still think this all points to Vigen, whether we're talking lack of development or actual play calling.
Now this is interesting... I don't follow recruiting rankings like some of you all do so this tidbit about the distribution of star rankings among positions was news to me. I must say that some things are making more sense now. If I had to choose between skill position players and lineman to have as my most talented positions on a football team it would be lineman EVERY time.... Imagine the best qb/rb tandem lined up behind a crappy offensive line.... Going to be tough sledding. Now the inverse is not the same result. The best offensive line would give crappy qb/rb/wr huge holes and lots of time in a clean pocket. Obviously you want both but if what you say is true I think it's time to reevaluate our recruiting priorities.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

We definitely don't get many highly ranked offensive linemen. I think we were close to getting one, and then he changed his commitment after Nebraska offered him? Or was that not a lineman?
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:35 pm We definitely don't get many highly ranked offensive linemen. I think we were close to getting one, and then he changed his commitment after Nebraska offered him? Or was that not a lineman?
I believe it was David Engelhaupt 2* TE. Decomitted from UW the day prior to NSD and signed with Nebraska. Not “highly” rated but good talent. He’s also no longer on the team.
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

I think Bohl and OL coach Fuchs think they can build and develop o linemen. But what's really weird to me in year 5, is how many underclassmen, especially freshmen, are starting on the line. Never saw more than 1, and usually an upcoming star, while they were at NDSU. They've really missed the mark so far.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

wyoair wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:35 pm We definitely don't get many highly ranked offensive linemen. I think we were close to getting one, and then he changed his commitment after Nebraska offered him? Or was that not a lineman?
I believe it was David Engelhaupt 2* TE. Decomitted from UW the day prior to NSD and signed with Nebraska. Not “highly” rated but good talent. He’s also no longer on the team.
Ah, yep. I was just really annoyed, but sounds like maybe we didn't actually lose anything after all?
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:21 pm
wyoair wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 pm
Ah, yep. I was just really annoyed, but sounds like maybe we didn't actually lose anything after all?
Same here especially considering he was committed for months before Nebraska offered a few days before NSD. You’re right we didn’t lose much except for potential. He never appreared in a game and I can’t even find if he’s playing anywhere.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

yopaulie wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:07 pm I think Bohl and OL coach Fuchs think they can build and develop o linemen. But what's really weird to me in year 5, is how many underclassmen, especially freshmen, are starting on the line. Never saw more than 1, and usually an upcoming star, while they were at NDSU. They've really missed the mark so far.
This is the #1 issue to me. We might literally never know how good TVW and Sean Chambers are if the pass blocking of the past two years continues