Culture vs Coaching

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Look at the list of Coaches that have come to Wyoming in the modern era. Surely they were not all terrible and yet they all ended their careers here ignominiously. At what point do we start to point to something systemic that is beyond the coaches control.

Maybe five years from now I'll look back a this post and laugh at how shortsighted I was as Bohl and the Cowboy's win their third straight conference title but history says otherwise.

At this point Wyoming is firmly entrenched in the middle tier of the G5 programs. Some years we are at the bottom of the middle and some years we are at the top of the middle but wyoming has not made the jump into the next higher echelon. What is the Historical precedent for middling college teams to make that kind of competitive jump? Utah and TCU would probably be the golden standard for this sort of leap. Both schools have some pretty incredible commitment to football that I don't see happening in Laramie.

I've always felt like if Wyoming just could get the right coach in here and mold the program according the state culture we could have a special program...Maybe if that was going to happen it would have happened by now...geez i'm depressed lol.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Deleted, read the old posts wrong
Last edited by WyomingAg on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

WyomingAg wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:16 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:55 pm Look at the list of Coaches that have come to Wyoming in the modern era. Surely they were not all terrible and yet they all ended their careers here ignominiously. At what point do we start to point to something systemic that is beyond the coaches control.

Maybe five years from now I'll look back a this post and laugh at how shortsighted I was as Bohl and the Cowboy's win their third straight conference title but history says otherwise.

At this point Wyoming is firmly entrenched in the middle tier of the G5 programs. Some years we are at the bottom of the middle and some years we are at the top of the middle but wyoming has not made the jump into the next higher echelon. What is the Historical precedent for middling college teams to make that kind of competitive jump? Utah and TCU would probably be the golden standard for this sort of leap. Both schools have some pretty incredible commitment to football that I don't see happening in Laramie.

I've always felt like if Wyoming just could get the right coach in here and mold the program according the state culture we could have a special program...Maybe if that was going to happen it would have happened by now...geez i'm depressed lol.
What happen to your "Everyone needs to f****** relax, Bohl has set the foundation for all years to come, we will compete in every game the rest of the year, and only the vocal minority is posting on here."

Coming around that the vocal minority that could see after 2 games and now 3 games that this offense is just as bad as last year and we will be lucky to get to a bowl game?
Your right, WyomingAg. This post was just a thought that has bubbling around in the back of my head ... lots left to play for this season and I did like what I saw out of TVW in the second half tonight (going to need him to be great).

Like I said hopefully I look back on this post in the future and shake my head. I still think its a question worth contemplating though....Beyond haveing a good season every now and then how does a program make a competitive leap that is sustainable?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

The fact is, we lost to two pretty good Power 5 teams. No they aren't at the very top of FBS, but they are solid programs.

I'm honestly not worried. They are probably the two best teams we face all season. At very worst, two of the top three best. These games have little bearing on if we will beat CSU or Air Force or New Mexico.

You're right, we aren't the best G5 team this year. So what? That's not a reason to fire your coach.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:31 pm The fact is, we lost to two pretty good Power 5 teams. No they aren't at the very top of FBS, but they are solid programs.

I'm honestly not worried. They are probably the two best teams we face all season. At very worst, two of the top three best. These games have little bearing on if we will beat CSU or Air Force or New Mexico.

You're right, we aren't the best G5 team this year. So what? That's not a reason to fire your coach.
They will both be bottom feeders in their respective conferences.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:35 pm They will both be bottom feeders in their respective conferences.
Mizzou isn't going to be a bottom feeder. They're a very solid team with a quarterback who will be a first round pick next summer.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:35 pm
joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:31 pm The fact is, we lost to two pretty good Power 5 teams. No they aren't at the very top of FBS, but they are solid programs.

I actually agree with you. They will be at best middle of the pack teams in the PAC 12 and SEC. I think Boise St. is probably better than both of those teams. I also think Utah St., Fresno St. and Hawaii will work Wyoming over pretty good as well.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:39 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:35 pm They will both be bottom feeders in their respective conferences.
Mizzou isn't going to be a bottom feeder. They're a very solid team with a quarterback who will be a first round pick next summer.
Missouri at best will probably be 3-3 after 6 games. We will see how they do after that. They have Alabama, Georgia and S. Carolina coming up as well as Purdue.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:42 pm
Missouri at best will probably be 3-3 after 6 games. We will see how they do after that. They have Alabama, Georgia and S. Carolina coming up as well as Purdue.
Wait, what? South Carolina is far from a sure loss, even though Georgia and Alabama will likely wipe them out. Aside from that, there's not a single game on their schedule that they don't have a decent chance of winning. They could easily win 9-10 games this season.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:45 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:42 pm
Wait, what? South Carolina is far from a sure loss, even though Georgia and Alabama will likely wipe them out. Aside from that, there's not a single game on their schedule that they don't have a decent chance of winning. They could easily win 9-10 games this season.
I'm not saying they couldn't finish with 9 or 10 wins but I think they will probably finish 8-4 at best. S. Carolina will beat them. They have to play in S. Carolina and the gamecocks only looked bad today because Georgia is that good.

I don't see Missouri going into S. Carolina and winning.

NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

307bball wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:55 pm Look at the list of Coaches that have come to Wyoming in the modern era. Surely they were not all terrible and yet they all ended their careers here ignominiously. At what point do we start to point to something systemic that is beyond the coaches control.

Middle tier is being generous.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

Doubtful.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:40 pm

I actually agree with you. They will be at best middle of the pack teams in the PAC 12 and SEC. I think Boise St. is probably better than both of those teams. I also think Utah St., Fresno St. and Hawaii will work Wyoming over pretty good as well.
Middle of the pack is not the same as bottom feeder.

Beyond that you are right. I have all of those as losses right now.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:48 pm

Middle tier is being generous.
Maybe..i don't think so though ... plenty of G5 programs haven't even gone to bowl games in a very long time...though with as many bowls as there are now it's getting tougher to not make one.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

This post is not really a commentary on this season...Probably should ask these questions at the end of the season but as I said above this has bubbling around in my mind. I'm not concerned that our record is 1-2...but I am worried about how we got to 1-2.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I think it's obvious we will struggle to score points against anyone this year. I don't think anyone is saying fire Bohl. But it will be interesting to see if we regress back to the pre Josh Allen era and win 3 or 4 games. Csewe beat Arkansas tonight. So a marginal G5 team can beat a P5 team at home. We can't play one within 3 touchdowns. The program hasn't come very far.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

Losing is one thing, being dominated/humiliated is a whole other story.

CSU beat a SEC team today. Fresno had Minn on the ropes. It probably says something that they can compete with P5 teams and we can’t.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:07 pm

Two years ago we were dominated/humiliated by Nebraska and still made it to the conference championship game. Last year we were dominated/humiliated by Oregon and to a lesser extend Iowa and still won 8 games. We'll be fine.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:32 pm
NowherePoke wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:07 pm

Two years ago we were dominated/humiliated by Nebraska and still made it to the conference championship game. Last year we were dominated/humiliated by Oregon and to a lesser extend Iowa and still won 8 games. We'll be fine.
Last year we also suffered the incredible humiliation of a loss at SJSU. Last year should not be something we aspire to.

2016 and Nebraska would be a good point and comparison after the WSU game as both games were close until the 4th quarter. We were outplayed in those matchups. Tonight we were outclassed (like Oregon last year).

Biggest thing I see is the contrast between what we are doing and other MWC teams (Fresno, BSU, CSU, etc.). Our OOC to date bears more of a resemblance to UNM, Nevada, SJSU than it does to the top teams.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

IMO, Bohl is going to need to tweak his offensive strategy. When he was hired several of us were concerned that he couldn't get the linemen he needs. Previous coaches had similar issues.

Year in and year out, I don't think we will be able to run people over. That doesn't mean we abandon the philosophy entirely. A team that can straight pound the ball is the hardest team to beat. However, we need speed and playmakers at skill positions. Pro offenses have lots of wrinkles and quick hitting passes. The O must develop a legitimate passing threat in order to allow the ground game to flourish. 1 dimensional offenses rarely if ever succeed.

I do believe Bohl will fix the offense but I don't believe he can if Vigen is in charge.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.