I see a lot of blame pointed to vigen

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

But let’s be honest.

1.Our vaunted defensive front had no pressure the entire game and the defense got eaten alive in the first and fourth quarter.

2. It’s no coincidence that when nico went out with injury that our offense wasn’t as potent. Our freshman backs are talented but ultimately not feature backs

3. Penalties killed us. Some of it was due to the offense but a lot of defensive mishaps

None are really on vigan. We were in a position to win going into the 4th quarter but we flat out crapped a collective bed in the 4th quarter
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

This was a l.o.s. failure. Our young oline didn't have enough. Defensively, we did great against the run, but wazzus system kinda eliminates the pressure. You have to leave a section of field open to bring some heat. Their oline was impressive.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

I blame Bohl myself.

Vigen sucks at calling plays but Bohl is just as much a part of it and the head honcho. The defense isn't near as good is what people wanted to believe after last week's win. Wyoming just beat a really bad New Mexico St. team is what it boils down to.

Washington St. will end up finishing in the bottom half of the Pac 12 also. Think this will at best be a 6-6 Wyoming team. Next week will be a beat down most likely and Boise is going to handle us as well.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:22 pm I blame Bohl myself.

Vigen sucks at calling plays but Bohl is just as much a part of it and the head honcho. The defense isn't near as good is what people wanted to believe after last week's win. Wyoming just beat a really bad New Mexico St. team is what it boils down to.

Washington St. will end up finishing in the bottom half of the Pac 12 also. Think this will at best be a 6-6 Wyoming team. Next week will be a beat down most likely and Boise is going to handle us as well.
I think you're pretty spot on. I do think our run blocking is actually better than last year, at least so far. Washington st. was not that impressive. I don't think we will overwhelm anyone offensively this year (other than Wofford). Whatever TVW's strengths and weaknesses, we know what the alternative is.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:07 pm But let’s be honest.

1.Our vaunted defensive front had no pressure the entire game and the defense got eaten alive in the first and fourth quarter.

2. It’s no coincidence that when nico went out with injury that our offense wasn’t as potent. Our freshman backs are talented but ultimately not feature backs

3. Penalties killed us. Some of it was due to the offense but a lot of defensive mishaps

None are really on vigan. We were in a position to win going into the 4th quarter but we flat out crapped a collective bed in the 4th quarter
Not feature backs.. YET. Plenty of talent there
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Yes. Penalties killed us. Refs did us no favors, either. whatever, though.

I truly believe we have the talent to be special, it just needs to be unlocked. The D DID play well enough to win, but not when they are expected to get stops ALL game long when we give them the ball at mid field.

Oh, and our punter is crap. Holy cow, what a weak leg he's got.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

How bad is Evans rib injury?
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

The defense wasn't great but they were constantly on the field. Our offense blew the game.....there was plenty of opportunity to take charge and they laid an egg in the second half. There has to be balance between the offense and defense and we are a one trick pony.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Good coaches adapt to the skill and talent of the players they have. Expecting our entire offense to rely on dominating the LOS is not going to work every time.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

It's pretty simple, this system relies on identifying talent and player development. When the roster is loaded with NFL talent, the offense clicks.

The offense doesn't work unless you have as much or more talent than the opposing team. At least that is where it is 5 years in.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:37 pm

I truly believe we have the talent to be special, it just needs to be unlocked.
Umm just .. no...no.

There are some standout guys (most every team as at least a couple) but Wyoming's top to bottom raw talent does not jump off the page.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:37 pm Yes. Penalties killed us. Refs did us no favors, either. whatever, though.

I truly believe we have the talent to be special, it just needs to be unlocked. The D DID play well enough to win, but not when they are expected to get stops ALL game long when we give them the ball at mid field.

This is something I was noticing during the punting spree we put on today. Admittedly, I wasn't a punter during my football days, but it looks as if Zaleski is pulling the power off his kicks like a boxer pulling punches. I don't see any follow through and it looks as if he is just dropping the ball onto his foot with no real power behind it. I am naive on the nuances of punting, so if anyone can help me understand this technique, I would be appreciative....
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Penalties did kill us, but penalties didn't keep us to 200 yards offensively against a mediocre P5 defense. You may have noticed that when we actually had offensive success, our play calling was WAY more diverse. Then we went back to the same old plays and constant 3 and outs.

CSU is a complete dumpster fire, and they still managed to get more done offensively on a team that's far better defensively than Wazzu.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:13 am Penalties did kill us, but penalties didn't keep us to 200 yards offensively against a mediocre P5 defense. You may have noticed that when we actually had offensive success, our play calling was WAY more diverse. Then we went back to the same old plays and constant 3 and outs.

CSU is a complete dumpster fire, and they still managed to get more done offensively on a team that's far better defensively than Wazzu.
+1
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:37 pm Yes. Penalties killed us. Refs did us no favors, either. whatever, though.

Yeah I don't know why kickers have been so hard to get to Laramie and the elevation. Although the punts aren't good, one positive is for the first year in I think 10+ years, is we have a kickoff kicker who can consistently kick it out of the end zone. On a downer weekend, that is one pleasant surprise, it is a far cry from just a short time ago when we were lining a linebacker to do our kickoffs and telling ourselves that was a positive because at least he would run down there and make a tackle.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

WyomingAg wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:20 am On a downer weekend, that is one pleasant surprise, it is a far cry from just a short time ago when we were lining a linebacker to do our kickoffs and telling ourselves that was a positive because at least he would run down there and make a tackle.
Our kicker is starting to look solid. He's getting consistent distance on kickoffs, and he seems really calm and collected for both extra points and field goal attempts. I know he'll miss eventually as that's just the name of the game, but he's been perfect to this point.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WyomingAg wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:20 am

Yeah I don't know why kickers have been so hard to get to Laramie and the elevation. Although the punts aren't good, one positive is for the first year in I think 10+ years, is we have a kickoff kicker who can consistently kick it out of the end zone. On a downer weekend, that is one pleasant surprise, it is a far cry from just a short time ago when we were lining a linebacker to do our kickoffs and telling ourselves that was a positive because at least he would run down there and make a tackle.
:thumb: cooper has become a really good kicker
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

It’s clear they had superior WRs to us. Yeah, they dropped some passes but man, they’ll fly through the air and haul down some great passes
W-Y, Until I Die!
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:22 pm I blame Bohl myself.

Completely agree.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

To me it came down to penalties. On their first half TD drive we had them at 3rd and long and got the stop but we roughed the passer. If we hadn't done that we could have gone into halftime up at least 16-6. Then on one of the early second half TD''s we had them stopped on 3rd and long again and had another penalty to give them another first down(THink it was a PI on a ball that was most likely uncatchable). Can't give an offense like WSU that many extra chances and hope to win.
As ugly as our offense looked it would have been good enough to give us a chance to win the game if we were disciplined and didn't shoot ourselves in the foot constantly.