Pokes say Extra Point was Good!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Dread_Pirate_Cowboy
Ranch Hand

The CST reports the players on the field were baffled as to why the extra point at the end of the game was no good. Sounds like it went right through the uprights and wasn't questionable. One more embarrassment for that crew I guess. Somebody on that crew had to have money on the game.
"Good?...Bad?.....I'm the guy with the Gun!" -- Ash Williams
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

This is worth posting! Here is the article from the Casper Star-Tribune:

http://www.trib.com/sports/college/arti ... fd134.html

UW, FAU COMBINE FOR 24 PENALTIES
The flags were flying
Story
Discussion
ERIC SCHMOLDT - Star-Tribune staff writer | Posted: Sunday, October 4, 2009 12:00 am | No Comments Posted
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size
In the second quarter it seemed like Wyoming and Florida Atlantic couldn't go a play without a penalty.
The numbers didn't look any better by the end of the game.
Each team was flagged 12 times, combining for more than 220 yards on penalties alone.
"I don't even want to comment about what happened on that field; it was an embarrassment," UW coach Dave Christensen said. "I've had 25 years in Division I football and I've never see anything like that."
At the helm of Christensen's frustration was one play in the second quarter where the Cowboys appeared to score a touchdown on a fake field goal where Orlando Arnold came on the field just prior to the snap and caught a pass for a score.
Instead, the referees whistled an unsportsmanlike penalty and while they were walking off those 15 yards, they tacked on 15 more when Christensen argued with them.
"I don't know what the call is because I talked to the umpire prior to the game and told him we had the play in and then someone else called the penalty," Christensen said. "It was completely legal. It was ran on ESPN by Georgia Tech four weeks ago for a touchdown, the exact same play. And today it's illegal and it was never brought to my attention prior to the game when I told them we'd be running it."
WIDE LEFT CONTROVERSY?: The Cowboys' missed extra point didn't have an effect on the outcome of the game.
If it had, there would have been more fuming.
Walk-on kicker Ian Watts said after the game that his kick after what turned out to be the winning touchdown was good.
"It was funny because every single kid said, 'Coach, why was that no good? It went right through the uprights,'" Christensen said. "Who knows? Why wasn't the touchdown good on the fake field goal? I don't know. Because the official decided he didn't want it to be good, I guess."

POKES LOOK TO LEONARD: UW wide receiver David Leonard has been a key cog in the Pokes' offense this year, but never like this.
Leonard, who had just 29 catches in two seasons coming into this year, caught a career-high 13 passes for 97 yards against the Owls.
"We knew they had great speed," Leonard said. "We saw an opening for the shorter stuff and then we just preached yards after catch, yards after catch all week long."
NEUHAUS COMES UP BIG AGAIN: Mike Neuhaus came up with one of the biggest plays of the game ... again.
The senior defensive end often gets overshadowed by starters John Fletcher and Mitch Unrein, but continues to make critical plays.
He tipped a pass against Tennessee last year and nearly came away with a pick six.
During his sophomore year, he forced and returned a fumble late against Ohio to preserve a victory.
On Saturday he batted down a pass at the line of scrimmage on fourth-and-four, essentially ending the game.
"It was actually kind of funny [because] I didn't know the exact play call that was called in," Neuhaus said. "So I kind of froze, sat down on the line, jammed my O-lineman and just read the quarterback's eyes. As soon as I saw he was looking to the right ... and I just tried to put my hands on it and bat it down.
"That's my job."
UW THROWS FIRST PICK: The Cowboys, who were intercepted 17 times a year ago, finally threw their first pick of the season against the Owls and it proved to be costly.
Florida Atlantic cornerback Tavious Polo jumped in front of a receiver on a short pass on the first play of a UW drive late in the first quarter and returned it 16 yards for the Owls' second touchdown of the day.
For the record, Carta-Samuels had 97 consecutive clean passing attempts before throwing his first career pick.
BUMPS AND BRUISES: Carta-Samuels emerged from the locker room looking like he was a key contributor on 58 offensive plays -- 20 on the ground and 38 through the air.
The freshman quarterback had a cut on his left knee, another on his right elbow and was on his way to get stitches on a cut on his head sustained on the first offensive play of the game.
Senior left tackle Ryan Otterson, who started his 29th consecutive game, missed the entire second half with a right leg injury.
Christensen said he believed that was the only other injury.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I saw it with my own eyes. It's hard to think sun belt refs are worse than the mtn west but they are!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Years ago I had a high field goal go between the uprights that was called no good! I was furious and was immediately in the refs face about it pissed off it was called no good... He didn't seem to care and threw a flag on me lol.

So on later PAT that went right down the middle I went to back judges and said "Was that one good enough for you? you blind motherf'ers" and was flagged again! I would like to find a kicker who has been flagged more than me :twisted:
I'm good for 3!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Wicks wrote:I saw it with my own eyes. It's hard to think sun belt refs are worse than the mtn west but they are!
I did as well...but couldn't tell exactly from where we were all sitting. Interesing point about it though, the kick did go left...but the ref on the right side of the poles was the one that originally called it no good...and I HAVE to know...how they hell could HE tell?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Protocol is that if the ball is close to being near left/right officials upright he makes that call. The official on the far side will usually look at the other for the call, not actually make the call himself. The Sun Belt should seriously look into how bad this game was officiated
I'm good for 3!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Cornpoke wrote:Protocol is that if the ball is close to being near left/right officials upright he makes that call. The official on the far side will usually look at the other for the call, not actually make the call himself. The Sun Belt should seriously look into how bad this game was officiated
That makes sense, and still, I don't get why the guy on the opposite side made the initial call? Maybe it was because he wanted revenge for the verbal ass whipping they all got coming off the field (or back on) at halftime. That was hilarious!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Was the verbal ass whooping from DC, other coaches, or the fans?
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

get watts a scholarship please