Keys to the game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

1. Get after that quarterback. Omar Clayton was a little too clean by the end of the game, and the FAU player is no slouch.
2. Convert third downs - Making plays on third down means the offense is in rhythm and the defense stays off the field.
3. Play smart - So far, the Pokes have avoided turnovers and with the exception of the CU game (like this one, on the road) have not had stupid penalties. They have to keep it up to beat the Owls. FAU is better than their record. They've had slow starts the past two years and gone on to win bowl games, so their record won't faze them at all.
socalpoke82
Buckaroo

1. I agree. Rusty Smith can put up some numbers. Plus he'll have his full arsenal back with Cortez Gent being reinstated - so the secondary should have their hands full. But if the pokes can get some pressure on him, hopefully we can force him into some mistakes.
2. I also agree, and have nothing more to add here.
3. Avoiding turnovers will definitely help. Always does. But I also think the cowboys need to continue to create turnovers. And if they get them, they have to capitalize on them. Especially If they get the ball in the FAU redzone off a turnover, they need to get 6. If you have to settle for FGs it probably helps the other teams mentality more.

And I'm adding these:
4. Show up and be ready to PLAY. When Wyoming played CU, they were winless, and had their backs against the wall. Similar situation here. So, it's very important that the cowboys do not come out flat on offense and defense like they did at CU. If that happens, could be a long day, because FAU will probably want to come out guns blazing.

5. Finish. Wyoming did it last week, and it worked great. Played 4 quarters and came out with a win. If they do it again here, I don't see any reason why the result would be any different.

GO POKES!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Avoid giving up big plays to FAU's speedy players. Make them execute!
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

Plus, and this goes without saying, the special teams (forces) have to be flawless. McCoy has to continue to help pin the Owls deep in their own territory and Watts has to continue to hit the FGs.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

The biggest key to the game is to score more points than they do.

sorry, had to be a smart ass, it cracks me up everytime. It's so obvious it's funny - not really a key, but THE key. I just might post this for every game, I apologize in advance.

GO POKES.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

I think we need a big play or two throw the ball deep make something happen down the ield and protect ACS and get some turnovers
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

gopokes1399 wrote:I think we need a big play or two throw the ball deep make something happen down the ield and protect ACS and get some turnovers
Bolling hasn't stepped up for the long ball -- possibly because the offensive line just can't hold long enough for the long throw. Forget the long ball this week. Short passes the order of the day. But the biggest issue, I think, will be how well the secondary sticks, in the sticky weather, to the receivers. This is where the Pokes will hurt. Maybe some new defensive sets are planned to get to their QB.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

After reading writeups on USA today, I think Alvester could have a huge day as their run defense has been suspect. If we can run, it could be easy pickings for ACS in the passing game. We still need a complete game, D getting turnovers, offense getting first downs & touchdowns, special teams playing solid.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
TheBuckhole
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times

socalpoke82 wrote: 4. Show up and be ready to PLAY. When Wyoming played CU, they were winless, and had their backs against the wall. Similar situation here. So, it's very important that the cowboys do not come out flat on offense and defense like they did at CU. If that happens, could be a long day, because FAU will probably want to come out guns blazing.
See above.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

I think not necessarily Bolling all though i really hope its him, but maybe McNeil or even Bolger catch a long one or Alvester can break a long one!!! one big play and it could be ours... Go Pokes