Group of 5 playoffs

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... er-5-teams
http://es.pn/2iHWOHg

We talked about it quite a bit when we as fans realized no G5 member will ever have a chance for anything other than a NY6 Bowl game. Conference Officials are finally realizing it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I think that we are lying to ourselves if we believe that we aren't already in a different division then the power 5 schools.

The "power" is the key word in power 5 and they have all the power. They throw a bone to the greater 5 by giving us on New Years 6 but I agree they will never let an undefeated non power 5 into the party so why not have a greater 5 playoff instead of our lame bowl format and see where things go.

That is a lot of bumps and bruises for these college kids to take so they may have to address that as well.

I have always said there is something to say for being the best among your peers and that's why conference championships are meaningful. This would be the ultimate best among your peers scenario and I hope we see it.

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

8 team playoff with one G5 spot would satisfy me.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

NO!!!NO!!NO!!!

We shouldn't voluntarily segment ourselves farther from rest of D1 football. The only way to prove ourselves is playing in the big bowls agains the Big name teams. Not playing in a JV tournament. Might as well move to the FCS.

And the article states that officials are coming around to it and quotes one AD with that opinion. Then quotes several other sources that are very against it so it soesn't sound like the support is as great as the writer wants us to believe. The AAC and MW would be against this.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

TSpoke wrote:NO!!!NO!!NO!!!

We shouldn't voluntarily segment ourselves farther from rest of D1 football. The only way to prove ourselves is playing in the big bowls agains the Big name teams. Not playing in a JV tournament. Might as well move to the FCS.

And the article states that officials are coming around to it and quotes one AD with that opinion. Then quotes several other sources that are very against it so it soesn't sound like the support is as great as the writer wants us to believe. The AAC and MW would be against this.
You miss the point being made that the division already happened and it happened when we were relegated to a non bcs conference and now as a power 5 and greater 5 conference. We are completely fooling ourselves if we believe we are in the same league as power 5 schools. It's the reason everyone wil beg borrow and deal to get into a power conference.

There is nothing wrong with being best among your peers. It's the reason you have smaller high schools compete with each other and don't have your largest high schools play smaller schools.

TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

pokefanchaz7 wrote:
TSpoke wrote:NO!!!NO!!NO!!!

You miss the point being made that the division already happened and it happened when we were relegated to a non bcs conference and now as a power 5 and greater 5 conference. We are completely fooling ourselves if we believe we are in the same league as power 5 schools. It's the reason everyone wil beg borrow and deal to get into a power conference.

There is nothing wrong with being best among your peers. It's the reason you have smaller high schools compete with each other and don't have your largest high schools play smaller schools.

We already have a way to be the best among our peers. Make the NY6 game and play another top ranked team and beat them. Yes there has been a divide between the P5 and the G5 but I don't see a reason to make the divide bigger on our own. This would officially separate the divisions and I have no interest in doing that. If teams wanted to do this then may as well drop down to FCS it is easier, they already have a playoff in place.

It doesn't matter because we know the AAC and the MW aren't interested in doing this.
LanderPoke wrote:8 team playoff with one G5 spot would satisfy me.
I would be for this as well. In general I am not for moving to an 8 team playoff but if it would guarantee the G5 a spot I would be for it.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

This needs to happen. Screw the P5. We don't need them. Let them do their thing, G5 do ours. No more scraps, no more crumbs.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I love an 8 team playoff too but have to say that there is still no guarantee G5 would be represented.

Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

pokefanchaz7 wrote:I love an 8 team playoff too but have to say that there is still no guarantee G5 would be represented.

No chance CFP change before 2025 and we G5 schools will never get a spot. They made it a 4 team playoff for a reason.

cowboyz
Cowpoke

If there is a separate G5 play off, the day that trigger gets pulled we are FCS. Call it whatever you'd like, but if there is a play off for the upper echelon and a separate one for G5, we and all G5 teams are no longer DI football. I don't care about budgets, fan bases, total scholarships, etc.  when you have a play off to determine 65th place, you're the new JV.

Working with the system as it is now, I'd like an 8 team play off, as long as the G5 gets at least one spot.  That will never happen as a G5 team winning would blow up their whole (almost) monopoly. The only scenario I see a G5 team getting a shot now or with 8 teams is if they run their schedule by all giant margins and they just happen to play a couple OOC P5 teams that are real good, maybe even conference winners and their only losses are to this G5 team. Then it'd be hard to ignore this G5 team.

The funny thing is that the P5 conferences are not all the best teams.  They have many, even a majority of the best teams, but it's not like they are all the best and all the G5 teams fall under them.  Purdue, Kentucky, Rutgers, Indiana, Vanderbilt and so many other P5 teams are never going to sniff a conference championship let alone a national title. Most of the P5 teams will not win a national championship in the next 100 years.

Where we should be going and maybe we will be going soon, is a separation of real college football teams and semi-pro or minor league football teams, sponsored by or wearing the colors of certain universities. 100,000 seat stadiums, multi-million dollar coaches and assistant coaches, billion dollar revenues and giant TV deals is not amateur sports. When a school pays a head coach more than another schools entire program's budget, let's call it what it is.  Let the Texas, Alabama and Ohio State's of the world have their semi-pro league that feeds the NFL, not exclusively, but mostly.  And let the rest of us enjoy college football. But they need to pay these players and I couldn't care less if they are students of the university or hired guns. I'm guessing there'd end up being 2 or 3 dozen teams in total.

Eventually these amateur players are going to be paid and when that happens, how does the Wyoming's of the world compete with Texas?

Program budget caps could also work, but that will never happen, as the playing field gets even real fast, and the big guys do not want a level playing field. Could you imagine Saban "only" making half a million?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

FCS is a different division we wouldn't suddenly become FCS that's pure nonsense.

G5 teams will NEVER be invited into any playoff system unless they create thier own.

The separation has already happened and it was completed the day the BCS took over everyone has been hoping for a chance to be that cinderella team but that only exists in basketball

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

The nfl needs to create a separate D league or minor league. Pull the top tier talent out of college football and have the ncaaa or someone step up and assert dominance over their conferences to establish a system that provides parity to the sport. Every pro sport has a system to try and normalize inherent advantages of one team over others.

W-Y, Until I Die!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote:FCS is a different division we wouldn't suddenly become FCS that's pure nonsense.

G5 teams will NEVER be invited into any playoff system unless they create thier own.

The separation has already happened and it was completed the day the BCS took over everyone has been hoping for a chance to be that cinderella team but that only exists in basketball

Bingo! I don't understand how it would be any different for Wyoming then status quo. The only difference is instead of playing byu for the poinsettia bowl you are playing to advance and play the winner of Toledo and app state and eventually be the best of your peers.

TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

pokefanchaz7 wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:FCS is a different division we wouldn't suddenly become FCS that's pure nonsense.

Bingo! I don't understand how it would be any different for Wyoming then status quo. The only difference is instead of playing byu for the poinsettia bowl you are playing to advance and play the winner of Toledo and app state and eventually be the best of your peers.

Sorry that doesn't excite me at all. Toledo and App state? I want to try to make a NY6 game and play a top 10 team in the sugar or Fiesta bowl. That is what I want to strive for. That is all most teams have striven for the majority of the history of college football.

And to say there is "zero" chance to make the playoff may be wrong. Look at Houston this year. With their early season wins they had a shot at it before they poop the bed in conference. And if Louisville had remained good all year then Houston's win over them could have vaulted them into the playoffs. They would have been in the discussion anyway if they were undefeated and Louisville had still been a highly ranked team. It is extremely hard and unlikely for a G5 school to make the playoffs but I wouldn't say impossible. And I don't think a G5 school has deserved a shot yet so I don't have an issue with it.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I would much rather win the G5 National Championship than wait around and hope the P5 bestows upon us the opportunity to play one of them. A playoff for the G5 would be awesome!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote:
pokefanchaz7 wrote:

Sorry that doesn't excite me at all. Toledo and App state? I want to try to make a NY6 game and play a top 10 team in the sugar or Fiesta bowl. That is what I want to strive for. That is all most teams have striven for the majority of the history of college football.

And to say there is "zero" chance to make the playoff may be wrong. Look at Houston this year. With their early season wins they had a shot at it before they poop the bed in conference. And if Louisville had remained good all year then Houston's win over them could have vaulted them into the playoffs. They would have been in the discussion anyway if they were undefeated and Louisville had still been a highly ranked team. It is extremely hard and unlikely for a G5 school to make the playoffs but I wouldn't say impossible. And I don't think a G5 school has deserved a shot yet so I don't have an issue with it.
Lol Houston would have been ignored no matter what they did and the fact you actually believe it would have ended any different is pure comedy gold.

Think of the outstanding seasons Boise, Utah and TCU teams had that went undefeated to never get any recognition they deserved.

Having amazing seasons only means a possible chance to be recognized when P5 conferences expand.

Mark my words you will never see a G5 team in the CFP that is just not going to happen. There will always be a reason why they don't deserve it and it will always come down to conference isn't strong enough to back the schedule.

An undefeated G5 team that beats 6 P5 teams will always be judged on the 6 conference games that weren't strong enough to get them CFP status.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Houston would have been in no doubt with an undefeated season.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:Houston would have been in no doubt with an undefeated season.
Lol pure comedy that you believe that.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyo2dal wrote:

Why? They would have had wins over a bunch of decent teams in the AAC plus a win over Oklahoma and Louisville.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:

Why? They would have had wins over a bunch of decent teams in the AAC plus a win over Oklahoma and Louisville.
And a bunch of wins over sub par G5 teams which would completely devalue everything else they did.

It won't happen ever it's nothing but a pipe dream. I'll bet you $100 right now we don't see a G5 team in the CFP as long as it remains a 4 team playoff.