Point guard question...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Who is gonna play point guard other than Lieberman? Other than kelley, I don't see anybody on the roster who is a true point guard....
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Long winded post coming from Couer D'Alene in 3... 2... 1...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

Hopefully L. Adams can play a little point. That's my hope
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I'm think we may see lineups without a "true" PG. Maybe it'll be Adams, maybe James or even Marshall.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Still dreaming of Conway returning............with the goal of being our backup PG by MWC game time. I know it's hard to get him to know their system and all this other stuff. It's also crazy hard to play 2 sports in college and still go to school. Goddamnit though that kid is an athlete and I'd love to see him on the hard wood for the first time ever. Maybe too tall an order but he should go and have a showdown with our other backup PG's at least.
Riding High!!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

No chance.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

Justin James will be the primary ballhandler any time Lieberman is not on the floor. That's been my prediction all off-season and I'm sticking by it.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Conway is a football player now. There is less than no chance he comes back to the hardwood
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Conway is a football player now. There is less than no chance he comes back to the hardwood
And frankly, I think he has the potential to be huge for the football team going forward. I don't want him to come back...
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I still think Cody Kelley is going to get minutes this year.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Conway is a football player now. There is less than no chance he comes back to the hardwood
And frankly, I think he has the potential to be huge for the football team going forward. I don't want him to come back...
Well I'm just saying if he can play 2 sports maybe he should. Academics seem like the hardest part of the equation. Bball would keep him in damn good shape year round (barring injury) and there's no reason you can't still be hitting the weights doin what needs to be done for football. I don't think the walk on scenario should be written off so quickly if Conway wanted to do it. That's the big if. Message board fonder right now is all. It could also be hard to get up to speed with all that Edwards is implementing with the squad. Like I said though the goal would be for Conway to be hitting the court more by conference play time. Would anyone be upset if all of sudden come MWC tourney we have a legit MWC quality walk-on backup PG that allows others to gravitate more to their natural roles?? Maybe Kelly can do this too but I have a hard time thinking he might be higher quality then Conway. Certainly could be dead wrong.

One more thing. Conway's role for the football team thus far isn't that of a full time starter. He's not out there even 50% of the plays right? I mean it would kinda of be like that with both sports I figure which lessens chances for injury. However the years to come that isn't going to be the case so there's the counter to that but just sayin..............
Riding High!!!
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Cowboy Junky wrote:I still think Cody Kelley is going to get minutes this year.

I agree with CJ on this one. To me, the staff was clearly trying to prepare for that by running Kelley at the point for significant minutes in the Bahamas.

I do think we will see some minutes without a PG on the floor. How well the team plays in that scenario will probably dictate how much we see it as the season goes on. The strength of this team is the wing position IMO with JMac, James, Adams, and Gorski all very capable scorers. It will be interesting to see how often we try to just play the best players and see what happens.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I would still rather have Conway on the hardwood. He is so damn quick and shifty
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

NowherePoke wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:I still think Cody Kelley is going to get minutes this year.

I agree with CJ on this one. To me, the staff was clearly trying to prepare for that by running Kelley at the point for significant minutes in the Bahamas.

I do think we will see some minutes without a PG on the floor. How well the team plays in that scenario will probably dictate how much we see it as the season goes on. The strength of this team is the wing position IMO with JMac, James, Adams, and Gorski all very capable scorers. It will be interesting to see how often we try to just play the best players and see what happens.
I hope Gorski took steroids, or something. He was one of the least impressive players I've seen in recent memory last year.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:
Well I'm just saying if he can play 2 sports maybe he should. Academics seem like the hardest part of the equation. Bball would keep him in damn good shape year round (barring injury) and there's no reason you can't still be hitting the weights doin what needs to be done for football. I don't think the walk on scenario should be written off so quickly if Conway wanted to do it. That's the big if. Message board fonder right now is all. It could also be hard to get up to speed with all that Edwards is implementing with the squad. Like I said though the goal would be for Conway to be hitting the court more by conference play time. Would anyone be upset if all of sudden come MWC tourney we have a legit MWC quality walk-on backup PG that allows others to gravitate more to their natural roles?? Maybe Kelly can do this too but I have a hard time thinking he might be higher quality then Conway. Certainly could be dead wrong.

One more thing. Conway's role for the football team thus far isn't that of a full time starter. He's not out there even 50% of the plays right? I mean it would kinda of be like that with both sports I figure which lessens chances for injury. However the years to come that isn't going to be the case so there's the counter to that but just sayin..............
I am under the impression, and could be wrong, that Bohl gave him an ultimatum. You join the football team and you're part of the football team. I thought part of the stipulation of him playing football was he was not allowed to play basketball as well.... Did I make this up or was it part of the deal?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:One more thing. Conway's role for the football team thus far isn't that of a full time starter. He's not out there even 50% of the plays right? I mean it would kinda of be like that with both sports I figure which lessens chances for injury. However the years to come that isn't going to be the case so there's the counter to that but just sayin..............
Injury risk isn't the most difficult part of being a two-sport athlete.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
Cosmic Cowboy wrote:One more thing. Conway's role for the football team thus far isn't that of a full time starter. He's not out there even 50% of the plays right? I mean it would kinda of be like that with both sports I figure which lessens chances for injury. However the years to come that isn't going to be the case so there's the counter to that but just sayin..............
Injury risk isn't the most difficult part of being a two-sport athlete.
Yeah I listed other things too man. People have done this before though. I think Conway seems intelligent too which is huge with the academics part of things.
Riding High!!!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:

I agree it would be great to have him on the hardwood. My thought was that he probably wouldn't do it this year e did do it. Get back into football have a full year plus in the program then maybe next year if he still had the desire he could join back up as a junior. He should do whatever is best for him and what he wants but I think it is awesome when kids can play both sports.
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: I am under the impression, and could be wrong, that Bohl gave him an ultimatum. You join the football team and you're part of the football team. I thought part of the stipulation of him playing football was he was not allowed to play basketball as well.... Did I make this up or was it part of the deal?
I don't remember seeing anything about this. It could very well be the case but I don't think it was reported anywhere or I don't think Conway or Bohl have said anything publically that this is the case.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I can't remember what Conway's major is, but I don't believe it was an easy one.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

WYCowboy wrote:I can't remember what Conway's major is, but I don't believe it was an easy one.
According to his bio on the Athletic's website, his major is Management.

http://www.gowyo.com/sport/m-footbl/201 ... d131abc203