Silent recruits....How many commitments do we have?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

The coaching staff seems to think that certain teams have been seeing who Wyoming recruits and basing offers off of that. Taking silent recruits is a way for us to get commitments with less risk of losing a commitment to someone that goes after our verbals.

It seems a little paranoid to me, but the coaches know better than I do. This might be a good way for us to keep commitments from some of our better recruits.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... a1324.html
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

I thought this was a really good article. I don't think the coaches necessarily ask the kids to be silent, but when they are they like it... It makes sense to me and if Bohl continues to build something up, bigger schools will absolutely start to take notice and pay attention to who Wyoming is recruiting.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

gopokes1399 wrote:I thought this was a really good article. I don't think the coaches necessarily ask the kids to be silent, but when they are they like it... It makes sense to me and if Bohl continues to build something up, bigger schools will absolutely start to take notice and pay attention to who Wyoming is recruiting.
I think certain teams already do, like NDSU.

I like the idea. Even if it only results in us landing one more guy that usually decommits, it's still worth the effort.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

IIRC there was a PAC 12 school that would "ambulance chase" us. Offer all the kids that we did.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

OK schools as well
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 126 times

So, by that logic, what does that say about the 2 recruits that are listed out there for everyone to see?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote:So, by that logic, what does that say about the 2 recruits that are listed out there for everyone to see?
Haha good point :lol: :lol:

I also find it ironic how the coaches always talk about getting guys who are completely invested in the program and philosophy, but this article clearly shows that nearly every recruit the coaches are going after will stop considering us as soon as they get an offer from a P5/their dream school and the coaches expect recruits to settle for us when that golden ticket doesn't arrive :popcorn:
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

Yeah. Us and every other G5 program.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:I also find it ironic how the coaches always talk about getting guys who are completely invested in the program and philosophy, but this article clearly shows that nearly every recruit the coaches are going after will stop considering us as soon as they get an offer from a P5/their dream school and the coaches expect recruits to settle for us when that golden ticket doesn't arrive :popcorn:
Well it's either that or recruits where UW is the only FBS offer so they jump at the chance to sign. Those are the recruits Bohl was criticized for getting his first two years. Now we're going for guys with a chance at P5 offers and that's not good either?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:I also find it ironic how the coaches always talk about getting guys who are completely invested in the program and philosophy, but this article clearly shows that nearly every recruit the coaches are going after will stop considering us as soon as they get an offer from a P5/their dream school and the coaches expect recruits to settle for us when that golden ticket doesn't arrive :popcorn:
Well it's either that or recruits where UW is the only FBS offer so they jump at the chance to sign. Those are the recruits Bohl was criticized for getting his first two years. Now we're going for guys with a chance at P5 offers and that's not good either?
Never said it wasn't good enough, I totally understand it's the reality. I was just pointing out what I see as ironic. We need to rely on bigger schools not offering kids and having recruits settle for us. But the coaches always talk about going after kids who want to be here and get an education at the University of Wyoming blah blah blah. Same applies to the fans who say "screw 'em" when referring to kids who go elsewhere, but in reality the players they love most on our roster wouldn't even be here if they were lucky enough to get a letter in the mail from someone else.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

99.9% of kids would go somewhere if they had a bigger offer. That's not just Wyoming, but anywhere. Doesn't mean they don't want to be here.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
dakarpoke
Buckaroo

joshvanklomp wrote:99.9% of kids would go somewhere if they had a bigger offer. That's not just Wyoming, but anywhere. Doesn't mean they don't want to be here.
Alabama has a bunch of kids from Texas on their roster, and they have kids from Florida, Carolina's, Georgia etc.
You know most of those kids had offers from the P5 schools in their states to.
The top Colorado kids usually go to USC or Stanford or Florida etc. not CU. The fact that Wyoming and as you have over 99% of other kids will take a bigger school offer is the way it is.
I do wish some of these kids would do a little more research on some of those big schools though because bigger is not always better or a good match for each individual.