The Forgotten Border War- UW @ NEB

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

The excitement is palpable around Poke's nation. It's time to start the Nebraska thread early. Even I'm wrapped up in this thing as of right now. Poke's have a monumental chance to do something big this season if they win this. Lots of story lines heading into this thing. Bohl is heading back to Lincoln to play the his old team. This seems like our best shot to get the Huskers since Tiller. I know this game tends to mean a lot to Wyoming fans even though it's almost always gut wrenching HEARTACHE. Wish this series had a name and happened yearly or bi yearly at the very least (didn't they get scared of playing us when we were actually good). It seems like this time around the Pokes bring a gun into the gunfight.

Let's get pregame talk chatter rolling right into the game day thread because believe it or not....UW football has a BIG TIME game ahead. All you Brown N Gold kool-aid drinkin supremes better slam it all down while you can. They win this and you could be heading into the unthinkable (top 50??, conference championship??). We have 5 days to dream and the 6th day is the reality maker. At the very best it won't be easy, but when are things easy when your from Wyoming?

Go POKES!!!
Riding High!!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:Lots of story lines heading into this thing. Bohl is heading back to Lincoln to play the his old team. This seems like our best shot to get the Huskers since Tiller. I know this game tends to mean a lot to Wyoming fans even though it's almost always gut wrenching HEARTACHE. Wish this series had a name and happened yearly or bi yearly at the very least (didn't they get scared of playing us when we were actually good).
Haven't won a game in the series in 7 tries.

Previous matchups: 1934, 1968, 1983, 1984, 1994, 2011, 2013
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

25-point underdogs. I'd be optimistic just to keep it within 10-14 or so.

That said, we almost beat these guys in 2013 and then went on to suck the rest of the season.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:25-point underdogs. I'd be optimistic just to keep it within 10-14 or so.

That said, we almost beat these guys in 2013 and then went on to suck the rest of the season.
25 POINTS!!! Holy hell.

What was the line on Neb vs. Fresno?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: 25 POINTS!!! Holy hell.

28.5. Covered with ease.

That said, Mike Riley is excellent at dropping games to inferior foes. It is his specialty.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Damn. Even without B&G glasses, we should cover that spread easily... I too would expect this game to be in the 10-14 range....
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: 25 POINTS!!! Holy hell.

28.5. Covered with ease.

That said, Mike Riley is excellent at dropping games to inferior foes. It is his specialty.

:oops:
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Is it too early to see one of Craig Bohl's signature big opponent upsets?

I guess we'll find out.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

We are +1450 on the moneyline. It's tempting but I can't go there yet. Would like to hear arguments to push me towards that near lottery like number.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Fresno's been crap the last couple of years. And Nebraska wasn't anything to write home about last year either. So, this could really go a number of ways.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:Fresno's been crap the last couple of years. And Nebraska wasn't anything to write home about last year either. So, this could really go a number of ways.
Yup, and the score was 21-10 going into the 4th. Huskers did all they could to make that scoreline look better than the game really was for them.

I don't think Wyoming wins, but I confident they'll beat that 25-point spread.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

J-Rod wrote:I don't think Wyoming wins, but I confident they'll beat that 25-point spread.
I agree. We won't win BUT we'll beat the spread.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

Have to remember that we were a 30 point dog going into that game in 2013 and realistically could have pulled out the win. If it weren't for a bonehead coach that decided to sit on the ball with around 2 minutes to play in the first half....(we had the momentum and was moving the ball with relative ease...) we could have gone into halftime with the lead and a crapton of confidence.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

It's clear Wyoming football has made hardened realists out of you boys ahahahah. Can't say I blame you, it's been one hell of rough relationship if you've been a part of it a decade or more. Sounds like we're due for a win. We've never beat them before? Damn that's sad...well sad=Wyoming Football for almost decades at a time.

Ok positive thoughts now people

Our O is gonna have to play outta their minds, but I really think they're capable of other levels this season. The O line is like WOW. Best line since Tiller's it seems to me. We have maybe the strongest upside QB I've ever seen at WYO, a Cali QB :shock: :shock: I've gotten this far without mentioning Brian Hill??? Mr BEASTMODE. What about Wick too? Man this O is dope and our white boy Wr's are playing like they need to prove something too. I'm excited to see them play again. Conway was fantastic. Man I wanted him on the hoops team bad, can we please allow this member of the High 5 to play duel sports???? The first member to strike outta the High 5 baby!!!! :dope: Bring on the blackshirts!! I have a hard time thinking we won't turn it over at least once to the blackshirts. We're gonna have to play clean/tough or respond well to adversity fast to win.

Now the D. Well they just showed a hell of a lot more athletic fight then we've seen in awhile didn't they? Certainly not one of our classic UW defenses yet by any means. Something about them though. They have some inner thing it seems. A passion. I just can't write them off as easily after that last game. There's some real leaders out there. I mean did we smoke that punter on purpose? Do these guys have a nasty a streak? A personality? Our D has been so vanilla hell give me some chocolate. We might just have an interesting chocolate D on this team this year. A new flavor. Nebraska is gonna test them to the MAX. I can't wait to see them respond for better or worse. Just remember to tip your hat whenever we hold em on 3rd down boys and go :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: for TO's

Not saying we will beat Nebraska but this is surely our best bet since Tiller. This is a fun week. Stay positive you guys. Hell get excited. This team has earned that much from us, right here and right now. We gave a National Championship level Nebraska team hell in their house once before. Don't think we can't do it again.
Riding High!!!
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

NIU was also favored by 9 and the Pokes covered by 2 tds.

Line at 24.5...and I think that is about right. I would think the Pokes cover though.

I watched the Fresno game. It was 10-14 at half. Nebraska did pull away in the 4th, but it was only 21-10 after three quarters. Fresno got wore down.

Fresno had 17 first downs, and about 300 yards (mostly passing). They just don't have a running back that did anything.

I loved the win vs NIU. Great confidence headed to Lincoln, but I don't think we are there yet. 41-24 Nebraska.
dakarpoke
Buckaroo

I know I'm mostly being hopeful, but in the Fresno game, Dogs had 2 turnovers and Neb. none, TOP was about even surprisingly with Neb 4 more min. However like was mentioned Fresno only had 31 yards rushing to Neb 292 but Neb only had 114 passing yards of which about half of that were a couple big plays.
I really think Pokes have a shot at the upset here. I think if they can keep the big plays by Neb down to a minimum and not turn the ball over (or win the t/o stat) Pokes can keep this game close and maybe pull an upset.
I'm also not sure how the really late game and then playing a really early game on Sat will affect the team either but Neb did play an evening game last Sat. too. At least the weather should be good (unlike the terrible heat last time in Lincoln). I'll be at the game!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

dakarpoke wrote:I know I'm mostly being hopeful, but in the Fresno game, Dogs had 2 turnovers and Neb. none, TOP was about even surprisingly with Neb 4 more min. However like was mentioned Fresno only had 31 yards rushing to Neb 292 but Neb only had 114 passing yards of which about half of that were a couple big plays.
I really think Pokes have a shot at the upset here. I think if they can keep the big plays by Neb down to a minimum and not turn the ball over (or win the t/o stat) Pokes can keep this game close and maybe pull an upset.
I'm also not sure how the really late game and then playing a really early game on Sat will affect the team either but Neb did play an evening game last Sat. too. At least the weather should be good (unlike the terrible heat last time in Lincoln). I'll be at the game!
Heat wasn't the issue last time the Pokes went to Lincoln. It was a couple of boneheaded decisions that killed it.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Don't you guys think we seem in better shape then that last Nebraska game? It's really hard to say for sure because last year was ummmm....ROCKY (nice way to put it) and we've played one home game. I watched that last Nebraska game years ago and we actually had somewhat of a team for that one. However when your coach coaches scared, well confidence comes from the top. Not gonna pretend to know what Nebraska is about but we know the drill. More money, more tradition, more media recognition, more depth.

Bohl has a different attitude it seems. He's very level headed even when we're getting trashed. Seems like a steady ship driver but he's got some of the best talent we've seen in awhile especially on O. I see this team getting up for this game. Our D is speed vs Nebraska's power. Tackling and gang tackling are key here. They're gonna give up big plays but if they get 3 & outs its game on. Play calling is big time in this one too. We need a game without fear. Go for it, this game is already penciled in as L by everyone. Why not go for it?
Riding High!!!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

> Go for it, this game is already penciled in as L by everyone. Why not go for it?

Yeah, if by some kind of miracle we're up in the fourth quarter, I don't want us to go super conservative again rather than trying hard to increase the lead. Closing out games is a huge thing for a young team to learn.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Yeah, if by some kind of miracle we're up in the fourth quarter, I don't want us to go super conservative again rather than trying hard to increase the lead. Closing out games is a huge thing for a young team to learn.
Well it goes beyond that too. I mean we're talking first half and at any point we have momentum or opportunity. It kills me when you coach to lose, I hate that poop. If you can go get points then let the negative thoughts of "oh we could turn it over" or "we're lucky to be here" be damned. Go for the W. Wyoming is always gonna have to take risks to knock off top 50 opposition. There's no other way around it right now. Live on the edge and die by the sword swinging.
Riding High!!!