Long Term Expectations

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Hello all,
I am new to the board, born and raised in Wyoming but currently going to grad school out in southern California.
I am wondering what everyone's long term goals/expectations are for football at UW.
I dont know that we will ever reach the level of year in year out competing for a MWC crown (at least in the near future, really long term anything is possible) , but I think it is realistic to expect to compete for a winning season/bowl bid every year, and every 4-5 years you get a good mix of talent that rises up and wins a league title, at least for the next 10-20 years until we get a real foundation of winning going.
Any thoughts?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Welcome to the board, calpoke25. Where ya going to school down there? I spend some time down there every year w/ my girlfriend's family.

The history of UW football is a positive one.. things haven't always been this bad, and they won't stay this bad for much longer. The team was real dominant in the 50s and 60s, and even into the 70s.. they're in a downturn right now, but it won't last long.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

My expectations?

To see Wyoming beat the living poop out of BYU like 72-0 before I'm dead of old age!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

MrTitleist wrote:Welcome to the board, calpoke25. Where ya going to school down there? I spend some time down there every year w/ my girlfriend's family.

The history of UW football is a positive one.. things haven't always been this bad, and they won't stay this bad for much longer. The team was real dominant in the 50s and 60s, and even into the 70s.. they're in a downturn right now, but it won't last long.
Thanks for the welcome, I'm going to Cal. St. Long Beach
I know we were dominant in the 50s, 60s,70s, even 80s and we were pretty good in the 90s too...,
but the college football landscape has changed a lot since those days. Back in those days there were what, 50-70 division I teams? Now there are 120. College football has become a lot bigger a business since then too
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

With 9 teams in the league, I expect to be THE MWC champs at least once a decade, and with almost half of the MWC teams getting bowl games, I expect to go to a bowl game at least 4 times a decade. I know that is drastically better than we have done lately but it is MY expectation as a cowboy fan. We need to hold our own in our league, we have done it before and need to do it again.

That is my expectation......

MY GOAL would be to be that little school in the MWC that has an awesome coaching staff, pays them well to keep them, that keeps churning out a top 25 team, wins lots of bowl games, and is a BCS buster every now and then. People across the country would say, oh you are from Wyoming, they have a good football team. ESPN's college gameday will air from Laramie, WY. To be a national powerhouse is my goal as a fan.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

My other expectation..........

To have Wyoming be the FIRST non-BCS school to play for the National Championship...and WIN it!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Welcome to the best message board for Wyoming Athletics!

Long term...I expect a MWC championship in the next 4 years. I want to see UW in a BCS bowl game in the next 6 years. I never want a losing record again...but understand that mediocrity (6 & 6 or 7 & 5) happens (call them the Joe Glenn good years). I want UW to have to build a 15,000 seat structure in the south endzone because of season ticket demand. I want UW to serve beer at the hoops and football games. ;)
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

McPeachy wrote: I want UW to have to build a 15,000 seat structure in the south endzone because of season ticket demand. I want UW to serve beer at the hoops and football games.
Right. And I want the cheerleaders to go nude. And I want free coffee and donuts.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:Right. And I want the cheerleaders to go nude. And I want free coffee and donuts.
Well...I would say that if UW was in a BCS game in the next 6 years, season ticket demand may drive the university to put in more seats. And...again...as been debated many times, if UW would want an extra 1/2 million plus toward the bottom line (just football) beer sales would do that. Will it happen? Probably not, but you never know.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
Adv8RU12 wrote:Right. And I want the cheerleaders to go nude. And I want free coffee and donuts.
Well...I would say that if UW was in a BCS game in the next 6 years, season ticket demand may drive the university to put in more seats. And...again...as been debated many times, if UW would want an extra 1/2 million plus toward the bottom line (just football) beer sales would do that. Will it happen? Probably not, but you never know.
This fan base is ready to explode and support the Pokes. Problem has been a decade of crappy to mediocre football. If we have some success at all, we might be able to use a south endzone. I envision something closer to 5K to 7K though. And, this isn't that far fetched.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Even though Glenn didn't have any teams competing for the MWC championship, he still managed to increase fan support and laid the ground work for an explosion of fan support if and when we do start winning and competing for conf. championships. The fans are very hungry for a winning team and I think it will be in the near future. The legislature has backed their end with the funds for facility improvements that puts us at or above the average of the conference, and everyone connected with UW - from Buchanan to Burman to DC are completely committed to getting us back to the top. We are going to get there soon.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I think we'd have to sell out the War for a good 6-7 years in a row to get anyone to believe we have a big enough demand for extra seats for the long term, and that could only happen if we got REALLY good within the next 3 years. I really would like to see a capacity of at least 40K though I believe that's a LONG way in the future before that happens.
I never can understand why they won't sell alcohol at the games. Is it some trustee's moral dilemma or something? Good god even when we only have 20K in the stands they'd make a fortune off of WYO fans, we probably drink the equivalent of 4x that many people. Does anybody know the reason for them not selling beer?
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

It's probably the same reason that the legislature keeps voting down the powerball lottery when it is introduced every year. If you check the voting on that, you will find it is the Western Counties of Wyoming that vote that down every year and I'll bet it is the trustees from the Western Counties of Wyoming that put the damper on beer sales at War Memorial Stadium.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
pokerupfront
Ranch Hand

Replace the Denver Broncos in the AFC West, and compete for the playoffs.
WYONUT
Buckaroo

Wyokie wrote:My expectations?

To see Wyoming beat the living s##t out of BYU like 72-0 before I'm dead of old age!
72-0? I hope you are either extremely young and of good health. If not, I hope that have and will behave yourself so that you can watch it happen from above? You should be happy with a solid win; say Wyoming 54 and BYU 7 with 4 ints (2 for TDs); 4 TD passes with 425 yards passing; 1 rushing TD with 150 yards rushing; 1 FG (55 yards). BYU ends up with 14 yards rushing (in honor of the Black 14) and a total offense of 69 yards.

I hope that would satisfy your need for a little revenge for the abuse they have tried to pile on us. :lol: