Will Wyoming over-commit for 2017 if both Hunter and Parker chose UW?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

There's a crap load of talent left on the board for the class of 2017. Wyoming is in the final group of at least three guys that are rated 4 stars by one recruiting service. In fact, the 2017 class has almost as many 4 star guys as it does 2 star guys. :D 4 star Buddha Jones can play in 2017.

What happens if Hunter and Parker both want to commit, or Tyler and Parker, or....? Do we just take a commitment from one of them and close up shop? Or do we sign both of them, knowing that we've had attrition in almost every season for the last 30 years?

The reason I ask.....I think there's a very good chance we could end up with two more four star guys wanting to commit to Wyoming this year, and only one scholarship available. Hunter is coming in this weekend and I think we've got a great chance to see him commit by the middle of next week. Parker Stewart is scheduled to visit again as well. I still like our chances with him.

I don't think we should make it a policy to over-commit, but when it's obviously going to help improve the team, I think we should. A few years ago we took one more commit than we had scholarships for it worked out just fine. Eventually though, if we keep playing with fire we're going to get burned.

Obviously, this wouldn't work if the two guys that want to commit are both bigs. The team has a lot of bigs right now and we could end up with a shortage of guards if that attrition is from the guard ranks. If it's Parker and Bay or Thompson, then it doesn't matter where the attrition comes from, we've got a 6'5" guard and a big, so we'll be set either way.

What do you think Poke fans? Should we take two more commits this year(if they're the right guys) even though we only have one scholarship available?
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I think we accept as many as these highly recruited guys that want to sign on the dotted line. Our numbers always seem to work themselves out.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Buddha Jones is part of the 2016 class. We have Hunter Maldanado(sp?) as our one current 2017 commit.

As far as oversigning. We have oversigned every year, or at least were planning on oversigning when someone left opening up a scholarship. I don't know why we would change now. The coaching staff knows there will be attrition so they anticipate it and over sign by one. I have no problem with them signing both Stewart and Thompson.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Did something change with Parker Stewart? Last I saw he is coming on October 1st for his visit , not on Halloween or did that get changed?

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote:Buddha Jones is part of the 2016 class. We have Hunter Maldanado(sp?) as our one current 2017 commit.

As far as oversigning. We have oversigned every year, or at least were planning on oversigning when someone left opening up a scholarship. I don't know why we would change now. The coaching staff knows there will be attrition so they anticipate it and over sign by one. I have no problem with them signing both Stewart and Thompson.
Buddha Jones won't play until 2017, so he'll be eligible the same time as the rest of the 2017 class that doesn't redshirt.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

seattlecowboy wrote:Did something change with Parker Stewart? Last I saw he is coming on October 1st for his visit , not on Halloween or did that get changed?
Nope. That's right. I just had to recheck my source. Thanks. I edited the original post to reflect that.

Still, I still think there's a good chance we end up getting him though.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote:
TSpoke wrote:Buddha Jones is part of the 2016 class. We have Hunter Maldanado(sp?) as our one current 2017 commit.

Buddha Jones won't play until 2017, so he'll be eligible the same time as the rest of the 2017 class that doesn't redshirt.
Yeah but he is signed with the 2016 class. Hunter Maldanado is our one current 2017 commit.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:

Yeah but he is signed with the 2016 class. Hunter Maldanado is our one current 2017 commit.
True that.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote:
TSpoke wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:

True that.
Who are the two scholly openings for 17 ? JMac and ........? TW3?
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Who are the two scholly openings for 17 ? JMac and ........? TW3?
Morris Marshall. TW3's and Conway's scholarships were filled by Adams and Buddha Jones
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Of course you over commit if you can get both, would be stupid not too. Can figure it out after the fact, plus someone always leaves it seems like
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Who are the two scholly openings for 17 ? JMac and ........? TW3?
Morris Marshall. TW3's and Conway's scholarships were filled by Adams and Buddha Jones
I forgot Mo is a senior. Thanks man!
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

I feel like we'd have to take the overcommitment of this class if we can land 2 of these guys. We haven't seen recruiting on this level ever in the modern era to my knowledge. Our best teams were always with guys that were under the radar/grow within the program types. With hoops just a few extreme quality players can elevate your program into that top 75 perennial mode or even top 25 depending on their talent level. Great players love to play with other great players as well. You set that tone and W's will start flood the AA. I mean even if your coaching is questionable you can still win national championships off talent alone. If Edwards can stack recruits like this, well we'll all be happy campers :bow: :bow: :bow:

The flip side is things might not be that nice when we have to run off an underachiever. Seems like that's what we might be talking about here. Pulling schollies from guys isn't the best look. I mean if your a new coach its your ass on the line if things go south so I understand the cut throat nature of the biz. So is this the real question? I still think we have to over commit if we'd have to subtract a guy for it with players of this magnitude. The fact that we're cover 3 different positions with the recruits is the key.
Riding High!!!
Cowduck
Cowpoke

Can I ask how possible it is that Thompson qualifies for a Hathaway and that he accepts that route?
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Cowduck wrote:Can I ask how possible it is that Thompson qualifies for a Hathaway and that he accepts that route?

Hunter would be crazy to take that and not a full ride athletic scholarship, with the possibility of the extra stipend
wiley wapiti
Ranch Hand

gopokes1399 wrote:Hunter would be crazy to take that and not a full ride athletic scholarship, with the possibility of the extra stipend

Can I ask you what this extra stipend is you are talking about? Thanks.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Cowduck wrote:Can I ask how possible it is that Thompson qualifies for a Hathaway and that he accepts that route?
Well this would be a great thing in our Poke's dreamworld but I don't know if it'd work as well in reality. Hard not to give an athletic scholarship to a dude that is being offered by some big time programs and is the number 1 in state prospect. I mean that could setup even crazier in our dreams with Hunter taking a Hathaway, then somehow we still over commit with Bey and Parker coming in creating the golden generation :D Man o man could you imagine getting that class with 4 different position players?????
Am I that high this morning to be dreaming something like this? No, no I promise...... :laugh:
Riding High!!!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

wiley wapiti wrote:
gopokes1399 wrote:Hunter would be crazy to take that and not a full ride athletic scholarship, with the possibility of the extra stipend

Can I ask you what this extra stipend is you are talking about? Thanks.

I'm referring to the "cost of attendance" that was put in place. http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... 96e91.html
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:I feel like we'd have to take the overcommitment of this class if we can land 2 of these guys. We haven't seen recruiting on this level ever in the modern era to my knowledge. Our best teams were always with guys that were under the radar/grow within the program types. With hoops just a few extreme quality players can elevate your program into that top 75 perennial mode or even top 25 depending on their talent level. Great players love to play with other great players as well. You set that tone and W's will start flood the AA. I mean even if your coaching is questionable you can still win national championships off talent alone. If Edwards can stack recruits like this, well we'll all be happy campers :bow: :bow: :bow:

The flip side is things might not be that nice when we have to run off an underachiever. Seems like that's what we might be talking about here. Pulling schollies from guys isn't the best look. I mean if your a new coach its your ass on the line if things go south so I understand the cut throat nature of the biz. So is this the real question? I still think we have to over commit if we'd have to subtract a guy for it with players of this magnitude. The fact that we're cover 3 different positions with the recruits is the key.
We might not have to run off an underachiever. Sometimes they fail out. Sometimes they realize that they won't see the court the entire time they're in Laramie.

I wouldn't support it if we had to run someone off.

If I could chose, I would yank Barnes or Marshalls schollie so fast it makes your head spin, although Marshall wouldn't do us any good since he's done after next season. I don't see Barnes failing out or quitting though. He just seems like the type of kid that will see things through.

This is one of those ethical dilemma's. It's almost like celebrating when an opposing player gets hurt. It sends out waves of bad mojo that immediately takes down one of your best players. It feels like wishing for someone to leave will result in someone we don't want to leave going instead.

I hope we don't run anyone off, but I can't see us passing on Bay, Stewart, or Thompson, regardless of how many schollies we have left.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: We might not have to run off an underachiever. Sometimes they fail out. Sometimes they realize that they won't see the court the entire time they're in Laramie.

I wouldn't support it if we had to run someone off.

If I could chose, I would yank Barnes or Marshalls schollie so fast it makes your head spin, although Marshall wouldn't do us any good since he's done after next season. I don't see Barnes failing out or quitting though. He just seems like the type of kid that will see things through.

This is one of those ethical dilemma's. It's almost like celebrating when an opposing player gets hurt. It sends out waves of bad mojo that immediately takes down one of your best players. It feels like wishing for someone to leave will result in someone we don't want to leave going instead.

I hope we don't run anyone off, but I can't see us passing on Bay, Stewart, or Thompson, regardless of how many schollies we have left.
Well the other bummer about getting rid of Barnes could be that by his Senior season he might be able to help the squad out. It always seemed he needed to redshirt. It's gonna be interesting to see how his game has evolved this year. It's hard to say with him. I mean its footwork/foot speed that are a couple of his biggest problems. Maybe he gets things a little more figured out and becomes a contributor this year or the next. If Barnes finds ways to contribute to the squad by then it'll be awesome because we'll be able to toss a lot of big lineups at opponents. I mean if Barnes puts in big work at the weight room 2 more years maybe he can just rag doll up some points & boards.
Riding High!!!