Craig Bohl's demeanor

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Not drawing any singular or definitive conclusions...I'm just interested in some theories from the board.

I haven't seen him lose his cool once this season - or last for that matter. He has stayed incredibly even keeled throughout his first 2 seasons and seems like he's in complete control and has this thing on the right track despite what has been a more than difficult season.

So what's your read? Are you offended that Bohl shows no outward signs of being offended, not relating to the angst of many here, a few who have even mentioned we should drop the program a level?

Or perhaps Bohl has the absolute security of knowing he has 5 years no matter what -- and the sense in getting emotional and visceral at this point, showing anger, showing frustration, this would be counter productive at this juncture?

Would love to hear a few of your theories.

Thanks.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Hard to tell. Maybe he isn't showing much emotion because he knows it is what it is? He knows most of his players have limited upside. Hard to get livid with guys who you don't have high expectations for to begin with.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

He knows what this season is. We all hoped we could beat our biggest rival with nothing but 19 yr olds and the 3rd string QB but it'd be difficult for any team in our conference to win under conditions like that. I'd prefer Bohl doing what he's found compared to how the Nevada coach was acting.

Still find it amusing the rants after each loss. We know what this team is and isn't yet people still freaking out when we don't pull a rabbit out of a hat.

I thought our D played pretty good for 2.5 quarters when the game still mattered but just like the other games, they have a completely abysmal quarter or so and completely submarines any chance at winning.
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

laxwyo wrote:He knows what this season is. We all hoped we could beat our biggest rival with nothing but 19 yr olds and the 3rd string QB but it'd be difficult for any team in our conference to win under conditions like that. I'd prefer Bohl doing what he's found compared to how the Nevada coach was acting.

Still find it amusing the rants after each loss. We know what this team is and isn't yet people still freaking out when we don't pull a rabbit out of a hat.

I thought our D played pretty good for 2.5 quarters when the game still mattered but just like the other games, they have a completely abysmal quarter or so and completely submarines any chance at winning.
When I see a comment like this, I have to ask if you saw the game? We didn't make them punt until late in the 2nd quarter. The only reason they had to punt then was they had so many penalties, the refs stopped the game to make sure it was 4th down. If that's good D, I don't want to see bad D.

Btw, you predicted a 44-0 win. So don't come on this board and post that this is exactly what you expected. It's hypocritical, at best.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

What did Colorado state do In the second half? Not much? Did you read my post? I said 2.5 quarters of decent D. So tell me where I'm wrong again? They gave up 9 points over the last 3 quarters. 3 was spotted by Priester losing his poop. It was already 17-0 when I was able to watch so my judgement of the last three quarters isn't as skewed as someone who watched the poop show of a 1st quarter.

And if you took the 44-0 post as a literal prediction, you're probably the dumbest mother f-word on this board. As if our f-word D could shut someone out
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote:What did Colorado state do In the second half? Not much? Did you read my post? I said 2.5 quarters of decent D. So tell me where I'm wrong again? They gave up 9 points over the last 3 quarters. 3 was spotted by Priester losing his poop. It was already 17-0 when I was able to watch so my judgement of the last three quarters isn't as skewed as someone who watched the poop show of a 1st quarter.

And if you took the 44-0 post as a literal prediction, you're probably the dumbest mother f-word on this board. As if our f-word D could shut someone out
Well, I didn't take your score prediction literally. But, I read between the lines you thought we would win. There's a lot of hope and bravado in these score predictions but my point is: don't predict a win and then feign amazement when posters like me can't believe we could play that bad against a poop team.

If you attach equal weight to the second half as the first, I can't help you. CSU could have hung 50 on us if they wanted. The fact they ran a very conservative offense (even Dave and Kevin mentioned it, between their interview with the 10 year old) doesn't tell me ANYTHING about the performance of our defense. I will never understand giving any importance to what we do after the game is decided, other than maybe pride.

Lastly, I am dumb, maybe even borderline retarded. But to make it to dumbest on this board is something I can only dream about.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote:
laxwyo wrote:What did Colorado state do In the second half? Not much? Did you read my post? I said 2.5 quarters of decent D. So tell me where I'm wrong again? They gave up 9 points over the last 3 quarters. 3 was spotted by Priester losing his poop. It was already 17-0 when I was able to watch so my judgement of the last three quarters isn't as skewed as someone who watched the poop show of a 1st quarter.

Well, I didn't take your score prediction literally. But, I read between the lines you thought we would win. There's a lot of hope and bravado in these score predictions but my point is: don't predict a win and then feign amazement when posters like me can't believe we could play that bad against a poop team.

If you attach equal weight to the second half as the first, I can't help you. CSU could have hung 50 on us if they wanted. The fact they ran a very conservative offense (even Dave and Kevin mentioned it, between their interview with the 10 year old) doesn't tell me ANYTHING about the performance of our defense. I will never understand giving any importance to what we do after the game is decided, other than maybe pride.

Lastly, I am dumb, maybe even borderline retarded. But to make it to dumbest on this board is something I can only dream about.
Wait, don't predict a win and then feign amazement when posters like you can't believe the outcome... What about Nevada a only three weeks back, when I predicted a win and you called me out. Then! Then, WYO wins and posters like you (namely you) don't even come back for a full week until the next loss.

Who has the bravado?
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

If you could see him during practice or after games. He is as ruthless as any!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:

Wait, don't predict a win and then feign amazement when posters like you can't believe the outcome... What about Nevada a only three weeks back, when I predicted a win and you called me out. Then! Then, WYO wins and posters like you (namely you) don't even come back for a full week until the next loss.

Who has the bravado?
You predict a win practically every week. So I failed to congratulate you on your lone correct prediction. I'm doing it now. You were right. You're practically clairvoyant.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I guess I don't understand the week to week outrage about a team we all know is bad. I had come to terms with the fact we might not win a game. Do I hold an outside hope that they might win some of the games? Sure. Ask my wallet and I'd wouldn't put money on it. Do I think the team has improved? Sure. I actually think we'd beat emu and nd if we played them right now with a healthy Coffman. Well, we can't. We played the weaker teams earlier in the year when 70% of our team was playing their first games. I don't see the point in bitching and moaning about games we know we're getting trucked in.
W-Y, Until I Die!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

He regurgitates the same poop after every game. He doesn't give two poop if they win or lose. If I was at that press conference I would tell him to shut the hell up.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

SDPokeFan wrote:He regurgitates the same poop after every game. He doesn't give two poop if they win or lose. If I was at that press conference I would tell him to shut the hell up.
No you wouldn't.
ImageImageImageImage
knhendon
Buckaroo

Calm demeanor... Prozac dispenser

Too bad the fans, and this board don't have access
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 241 times

laxwyo wrote:I guess I don't understand the week to week outrage about a team we all know is bad. I had come to terms with the fact we might not win a game. Do I hold an outside hope that they might win some of the games? Sure. Ask my wallet and I'd wouldn't put money on it. Do I think the team has improved? Sure. I actually think we'd beat emu and nd if we played them right now with a healthy Coffman. Well, we can't. We played the weaker teams earlier in the year when 70% of our team was playing their first games. I don't see the point in bitching and moaning about games we know we're getting trucked in.
+1
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I get it, we may be in "tougher games," but this is FAR from a tough schedule. The mwc sucks so bad. Not a single team that could compete in a real conf. The fact we aren't even competing with arguably the worst mwc since its inception is a pretty big kick in the nards.

I am seeing some individual improvement, but I honestly haven't seen much collective improvement. Just my opinion.

I still think Bohl is the right guy, but I think the transition to FBS was bigger jump than expected. (Even to crappy mwc)
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Okay, Bohl isn't exactly the greatest coach of all time. But I'm still onboard.

I was watching the way they handled #2, the sophomore corner Robert Priester in the 3rd qtr.. he was getting burned in what looked like one on one with Higgins from CSU. After getting a personal foul for fifteen yards, he held Higgens out of frustration, got called, and melted down screaming something he shoudn't have. 15 more yards.

Coaches called him off the field. Bohl had a serious discussion with him. Instead of benching him, they sent him out after a couple of plays against Higgins again. This time, he broke up a close play on a throw to Higgins. Priester looked around as if he expected a flag. I looked toward Bohl and he was smiling and clapping toward Priester and gave him a thumbs up.

I know the game was bad, but I saw improvement. You can't take away one quarter, but they played toe to toe with Colorado State for the final three quarters. Moral victories suck...but that's all we'll get out of this game.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

I think he handles himself like a professional in front of the public. A view it as a positive. Now as the CEO, he needs to get some new executives before the entire company tanks under his watch.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

Yabadabadoo wrote:Not drawing any singular or definitive conclusions...I'm just interested in some theories from the board.

I haven't seen him lose his cool once this season - or last for that matter. He has stayed incredibly even keeled throughout his first 2 seasons and seems like he's in complete control and has this thing on the right track despite what has been a more than difficult season.

So what's your read? Are you offended that Bohl shows no outward signs of being offended, not relating to the angst of many here, a few who have even mentioned we should drop the program a level?

Or perhaps Bohl has the absolute security of knowing he has 5 years no matter what -- and the sense in getting emotional and visceral at this point, showing anger, showing frustration, this would be counter productive at this juncture?

Thanks.
I'm a coach. What I've been taught in coaching education is that you have to project calm to your team regardless of circumstances. When times get hard, players look to the coach for leadership. If the team is getting blown out and the coach is losing his mind, that mindset will take hold in the team. You have to model the behavior you want your team to demonstrate. If you lose your cool in the face of adversity, you can't expect your team to keep it together. If you're a whiny bitch at the referees, you can expect your players to be the same. I don't have a problem at all with Bohl keeping a calm demeanor on the sideline regardless of circumstances.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Cowduck wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:Not drawing any singular or definitive conclusions...I'm just interested in some theories from the board.

Thanks.
I'm a coach. What I've been taught in coaching education is that you have to project calm to your team regardless of circumstances. When times get hard, players look to the coach for leadership. If the team is getting blown out and the coach is losing his mind, that mindset will take hold in the team. You have to model the behavior you want your team to demonstrate. If you lose your cool in the face of adversity, you can't expect your team to keep it together. If you're a whiny bitch at the referees, you can expect your players to be the same. I don't have a problem at all with Bohl keeping a calm demeanor on the sideline regardless of circumstances.
This is fine except he isn't calm before ,after, and in practice. Quite the opposite actually. He is vocal and demanding. His press face is what I call it.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

CSU played with us that 2nd half they coulda hung more on us, no doubt about that!!!