Why can't we get a kicker?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

This is really bugging me. The EMU kicker made every field goal, kicked every extra point over the net; every kickoff was a touchback except for the onside kick which he recovered. The guy had a stellar day and he plays for Eastern Michigan! How is it they can recruit a kicker like that and we no longer get kickers like that? We used to after all. Back in the Roach days, Sean Flemming used to warm up by kicking 65-70 yard field goals. In '96 Gragert was drafted by the Broncos. I can't even remember the last good kicker we had? Do our coaches just not care about the kicking game? Granted we have bigger problems like a QB who can't throw and a defense that can't defend, but recruiting a kicker to 7220 should be easy.
Gocowboys
Buckaroo

Remember Derrick Yaussi ? I may be spelling his name wrong, but he could kick as well. I was thinking the same thing yesterday about Cowboys inability to find a kicker. I guess it's difficult to recruit a kicker to Laramie, I can't think of another reason. The same may hold true for all the positions.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Gocowboys wrote:Remember Derrick Yaussi ? I may be spelling his name wrong, but he could kick as well. I was thinking the same thing yesterday about Cowboys inability to find a kicker. I guess it's difficult to recruit a kicker to Laramie, I can't think of another reason. The same may hold true for all the positions.

It shouldn't be hard!

Every other season Bohl should send a big memo out to all HS coaches in Wyoming and say there is a kicker spot available. Have the HS coaches make sure their kicker is doing well. Send them all to a camp/tryout in Laramie. Bohl will give the best one a scholly.
Repeat the process in 2 seasons.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

Bohl should, you know, try giving a scholarship to a kicker. What a stupid, stupid move to rely on walk-ons for such a crucial position. What other single player on the field besides qb is as individually valuable as kicker? Asinine
Gocowboys
Buckaroo

I don't know how often we have Division I talent level high school kickers coming out of Wyoming High Schools. I remember a kid from Green River way back in 2008-2009 who had a strong and accurate leg, but I don't know what college he ended up attending, if any. That said, if we do have D-I level high school kickers graduating pretty consistently, then I totally agree with your suggestion.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
Gocowboys wrote:Remember Derrick Yaussi ? I may be spelling his name wrong, but he could kick as well. I was thinking the same thing yesterday about Cowboys inability to find a kicker. I guess it's difficult to recruit a kicker to Laramie, I can't think of another reason. The same may hold true for all the positions.

It shouldn't be hard!

Every other season Bohl should send a big memo out to all HS coaches in Wyoming and say there is a kicker spot available. Have the HS coaches make sure their kicker is doing well. Send them all to a camp/tryout in Laramie. Bohl will give the best one a scholly.
Repeat the process in 2 seasons.
Remember, you are talking about a state whose highest level of high school football still has 3 or 4 teams go for 2 because they can't consistently kick a PAT.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:Bohl should, you know, try giving a scholarship to a kicker. What a stupid, stupid move to rely on walk-ons for such a crucial position. What other single player on the field besides qb is as individually valuable as kicker? Asinine
He was relegated to having to go with walk-ons. If you recall in a previous thread he had a 3 star kicker out of Texas who later decommitted. At that point it was a little late to go after anything else.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:He was relegated to having to go with walk-ons. If you recall in a previous thread he had a 3 star kicker out of Texas who later decommitted. At that point it was a little late to go after anything else.
The reason he decommitted was because he received a full ride offer to another school, while we were only offering a partial scholarship I believe. I may be thinking of someone else, but I'm pretty sure it was this kicker...
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:He was relegated to having to go with walk-ons. If you recall in a previous thread he had a 3 star kicker out of Texas who later decommitted. At that point it was a little late to go after anything else.
The reason he decommitted was because he received a full ride offer to another school, while we were only offering a partial scholarship I believe. I may be thinking of someone else, but I'm pretty sure it was this kicker...
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought in football there are no partial scholarships. Its all or nothing
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Aaron Elling was a good "Wyoming" kicker we had (born in Minnesota, but went to high school in Lander). Good enough to play a few seasons in the NFL as well. There's got to be a few more like that.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Correct.....
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:
He's from a catholic family. He got a Scholly to play at a much closer to home catholic school in Incarnate Word. I remember reading something on him wanting to further his studies into religion. Which is why he decommitted.
I don't think there is such a thing as partial scholarship. You either get the full ride or you walk on and hope for academic schollies.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
He's from a catholic family. He got a Scholly to play at a much closer to home catholic school in Incarnate Word. I remember reading something on him wanting to further his studies into religion. Which is why he decommitted.
I don't think there is such a thing as partial scholarship. You either get the full ride or you walk on and hope for academic schollies.
Ok, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't offered a scholly here. Just a guaranteed roster spot and he had quite a bit of academic scholarships.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

This is total bulls--t. If there's anything we should be able to recruit it's a kicker. It's pretty simple- find a kid from the coasts and ask him if he wants to set NCAA kicking records. Keep him on the coast to train, and only bring him to Laramie a week from the 1st game. Send him back to the coast to practice as much as possible during the season.

In my opinion, recruiting kickers should be the lowest-hanging fruit on the recruitment tree for Wyoming...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

Yes, as a few people mentioned...in Division 1 football and basketball all scholarships are all full-rides, no partials.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

One concerning quote from Bohl. He wasn't too concerned about the kicking, basically called anything past the 40 hit and miss. I need to go back to find the direct quote.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

The kicker from EMU was also a team captain. So they must of thought he was pretty important.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Slow Hand wrote:The kicker from EMU was also a team captain. So they must of thought he was pretty important.
That EMU kicker had a leg. I swear I saw him hit a 6O yarder at halftime warmup that sailed in high...
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

He made the prestigious Lou Groza Collegiate Place-Kicker Award 2013 Preseason watch list going into his sophomore season. He's now a senior.

He's legit.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 38 times

Cuttslam wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought in football there are no partial scholarships. Its all or nothing
No partials in FBS, all or nothing. You can split scholarships and offer partials in FCS.
ImageImageImageImage