Good effort today..... just not enough talent

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

We really need a big guy in the post. Johnson had another really poor game. Thiam isn't the answer either. Waddell actually did enough good things today that I questioned not having him in there in the last few minutes.

New Mexico has some really good players. Dandridge was the best player on the court today, imo. Having a big guy who can play inside and outside...makes me think of Reggie Slater.

As good as Ewing has been, the dribble the shot clock down and then going into the Chinese fire drill has had horrible results all year. The tournament looks tough as we went 0-6 against the top 3 teams.

I hope Heath can recruit a few guys for next year. Ogirri and Ewing will be hard to replace.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

What it came down to, in my observation, was that NM was simply a better team. By that I mean they played like a team. There was, for the most part, a rhythm and flow to their half-court, in contrast to the Pokes. Except for Dandridge, I think the Pokes match up very well with NM, so it is up to Shroyer and staff to come up with a better strategy than going to the foul line.

I'm guessing that the Pokes play NM in the first round of the tourney.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I hated the last play, like it was mentioned it hasn't worked all year. Schroyer needs to come up with something new. Ewing threw up a prayer looking for a foul, but it didn't work.

Dandridge has a great shot, but the guy flat ran over people at least 6 times and not a single charging call on him. He also took about ten steps on the wide open dunk.

Tyson lowers his shoulder occasional (like Dandridge did several times) but he is called for the offensive foul almost every time. The reffing in this league flat out sucks. There were some very questionable call on both ends, but I'm not shocked, it's been like that all year.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

I actually don't have a problem with putting the ball in your best player's hands at the end of the game. I haven't been able to see many of the games this year, but my guess would be that either the other players aren't moving to try to get open when Ewing drives or Ewing isn't looking for an open teammate. The strategy itself isn't flawed though. In fact, many teams use the exact same approach in end of the game situations. Help is on the way in this years recruiting class. Manzano will make an immediate impact. His offensive skills are top notch and he is a bonified shooting threat. I think M'Baye will stand out to a lot of people with his defensive work ethic. The guy is also a monster on the boards. I really hope we can sign Quinton Thomas. He reminds me a lot of Afam but with better defense. If we can continue to get recruting classes like the one we got this year, then things are looking good for the future of Cowboys basketball. I would say the only team with a better recruiting class this year was Utah. I think we get to 20 wins next season and end up in the NIT. The year after that is going to be explosive in my opinion. The Pokes will make some major noise come 2010-11.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

TheRealUW wrote:I actually don't have a problem with putting the ball in your best player's hands at the end of the game. I haven't been able to see many of the games this year, but my guess would be that either the other players aren't moving to try to get open when Ewing drives or Ewing isn't looking for an open teammate. The strategy itself isn't flawed though. In fact, many teams use the exact same approach in end of the game situations. Help is on the way in this years recruiting class. Manzano will make an immediate impact. His offensive skills are top notch and he is a bonified shooting threat. I think M'Baye will stand out to a lot of people with his defensive work ethic. The guy is also a monster on the boards. I really hope we can sign Quinton Thomas. He reminds me a lot of Afam but with better defense. If we can continue to get recruting classes like the one we got this year, then things are looking good for the future of Cowboys basketball. I would say the only team with a better recruiting class this year was Utah. I think we get to 20 wins next season and end up in the NIT. The year after that is going to be explosive in my opinion. The Pokes will make some major noise come 2010-11.
Brandon Ewing led the conference in both scoring and assists this year (first time any player of any MWC team has ever led in both), so I have no problems with putting the ball in his hands in the situation we had at the end of the game. I agree with you that the future looks good for the Cowboys.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.