No pep band last night? WTF?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Televised on the mountain, big home tilt against a perennial conference winner, and no band? That was strange. Bad move UW.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

What does it matter? They never get to play. At least, we used to not get to play that often. One or two timeouts, a couple of tunes at halftime, and pre and post game. As an ex-band geek, my guess is that there was some other event in the music department that took most of the band away and they couldn't get enough replacements to fill it. It happens once in a while, and I'd guess that the marketing department doesn't mind too much, because they don't have to split timeouts with the band.

Nice win for the Pokes last night. If we can manage to play like that down the stretch, there may be some hope left for this season.

GO POKES!
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

wellpoke wrote:What does it matter? They never get to play. At least, we used to not get to play that often. One or two timeouts, a couple of tunes at halftime, and pre and post game.
The AD's selection for entertainment at athletic events is a bunch of poop. Nobody really gives a poop about Verizon ringback tones, or some of the other stupid poop they play. This isn't the NBA. Collegiate sports are special because of the pageantry, and one of the main pieces of that is the band. Watch any big time college game on TV and the band is playing all the time. This is one of my biggest gripes about UW. LET THE BAND PLAY!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

PokeNer wrote:
wellpoke wrote:What does it matter? They never get to play. At least, we used to not get to play that often. One or two timeouts, a couple of tunes at halftime, and pre and post game.
The AD's selection for entertainment at athletic events is a bunch of poop. Nobody really gives a s##t about Verizon ringback tones, or some of the other stupid s##t they play. This isn't the NBA. Collegiate sports are special because of the pageantry, and one of the main pieces of that is the band. Watch any big time college game on TV and the band is playing all the time. This is one of my biggest gripes about UW. LET THE BAND PLAY!
I agree...but UW is nutsack-tied HARD to Leerfield (sp) Sports Marketing, and THEY dictate what gets played and when. It is all about the $$...and UW is just one big "friendly ladies" when it comes to cash. I wouldn't blame Tom though...I think it was the hand he was delt (all the crap was in place prior to his arrival).
Dear Karma,

wellpoke
Ranch Hand

I agree Peachy, but the problem was in place long before Leerfield came into the picture. It all started with Moon-pie back in the mid-90's when he was doing presentations and crap during time-outs and halftime. In fact, timeouts and halftime have been scripted down to the minute for quite a while. Same is true at football games. IMO, I think it's a big reason that the game-day atmosphere has gone in the crapper. Let the band play, often and loud...

GO POKES!
sharpshooter
Buckaroo

Maybe the tie in's with the Communications would be lessened if we actually made some money from the ticket revenue by bigger crowds????
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

sharpshooter wrote:Maybe the tie in's with the Communications would be lessened if we actually made some money from the ticket revenue by bigger crowds????
UW could sell out, every home game, at every venue, and "they" would still be whoring around like a meth addict that hasn't hit the pipe in a week. Attendance, in all honesty, has nothing to do with Leerfield and their strangle hold on UW's balls.

Maybe your point was just to bash UW's less than stellar attendance(s) this season...and to that I agree, but you would be preaching to the choir here at WyoNation.

Blame McClain, and Blame Glenn. Blame Vic, and Blame Moon. And let's toss Barta under the bus as well. But the second UW fans started to accept mediocrity, was the second fans started to become apathetic.
Dear Karma,

PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

McPeachy wrote: I agree...but UW is nutsack-tied HARD to Leerfield (sp) Sports Marketing, and THEY dictate what gets played and when. It is all about the $$...and UW is just one big "friendly ladies" when it comes to cash. I wouldn't blame Tom though...I think it was the hand he was delt (all the crap was in place prior to his arrival).
Yeah, I knew that it was due to Learfield. I think that Burman renewed the contract with them a year or two ago though. He had a chance to get us away from them, but renewed anyways. Nobody really wants to go to games and listen to one big commercial. We're going to watch collegiate sports. Sell the naming rights to the Stadium and AA for all I care, but get rid of the poop gameday experiences.