Next up Utah @ home - how do we do?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
PorkerPoke
Buckaroo

All the crappola aside from Schroyer has wasted talent leftover from McClain and ran off good players blah, blah, blah....

The fact is that since 2002 this league has gotten stronger and in Glenn like fashion the basketball program floundered with poor recruiting. C'mon, waiting until late in the spring signing period to snag the "diamond in the rough" James Ebert and sticking with the academic casualties from Sheridan College that once in a while had a AAA battery spark. As for Platt - Schroyer ran his stereo type "some ethnic guys can't jump" ass off after seeing him unable at 6'4" to even come close to the rim or block out when in perfect position when Giddens flew over the top of him to slam home an offensive rebound as New Mexico came back to beat the Cowboys.

That said we are at where we are at right now with some exciting new talent in the program mixed in with remnants of the McClain era. We are still a couple of years out from making our league move.

This year Utah has more weapons than the Cowboys starting with Neville. The Cowboys will be returning to their home court and hopefully so pissed off from a 91-64 drubbing in SLC that they cannot wait to get out and kick some Utah ass!

I expect the Cowboys to come out ready to play and to start jumping on Utah early. The problem is that the Cowboys never play a complete game for the most part. They either get their asses run out of the place (on the road anyway) before 10 minutes passes or at home they fight for their lives to hold on and win a closer game than it should be.

I look for a very competitive game but the home court magic is going to be over when the Cowboys once again cannot figure out how to overcome the constant double teaming of Ewing and also fail to cover the 3 pointers Utah will pour in when we try to double Neville, Brown or Green. At least the Schroyer squad won't go into halftime down almost 20 points to Utah like the McClain squads got accustomed to doing.

Utah 78 Wyoming 71
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Someone will have to drop back to double Neville. No way anyone the Pokes have can cover him one on one. So will Neville be able to find the open man? Well in games so far it hasn't mattered, has it? The three point boys get open without a kick-out from the post.

And will the Pokes fiddle-fart around with the ball like they did at NM and give it up before taking a shot? If so, good bye early - again.

If they come out with the same-old, same-old that the MWC coaches have already seen, lights out. However, something new might confuse the Utes for long enough for the Pokes to make a game of it. We will see who gets out-coached Sat.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

79-72 Pokes. Good as golden.
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

PorkerPoke wrote:All the crappola aside from Schroyer has wasted talent leftover from McClain and ran off good players blah, blah, blah....

The fact is that since 2002 this league has gotten stronger and in Glenn like fashion the basketball program floundered with poor recruiting. C'mon, waiting until late in the spring signing period to snag the "diamond in the rough" James Ebert and sticking with the academic casualties from Sheridan College that once in a while had a AAA battery spark. As for Platt - Schroyer ran his stereo type "some ethnic guys can't jump" ass off after seeing him unable at 6'4" to even come close to the rim or block out when in perfect position when Giddens flew over the top of him to slam home an offensive rebound as New Mexico came back to beat the Cowboys.

That said we are at where we are at right now with some exciting new talent in the program mixed in with remnants of the McClain era. We are still a couple of years out from making our league move.

This year Utah has more weapons than the Cowboys starting with Neville. The Cowboys will be returning to their home court and hopefully so pissed off from a 91-64 drubbing in SLC that they cannot wait to get out and kick some Utah ass!

I expect the Cowboys to come out ready to play and to start jumping on Utah early. The problem is that the Cowboys never play a complete game for the most part. They either get their asses run out of the place (on the road anyway) before 10 minutes passes or at home they fight for their lives to hold on and win a closer game than it should be.

I look for a very competitive game but the home court magic is going to be over when the Cowboys once again cannot figure out how to overcome the constant double teaming of Ewing and also fail to cover the 3 pointers Utah will pour in when we try to double Neville, Brown or Green. At least the Schroyer squad won't go into halftime down almost 20 points to Utah like the McClain squads got accustomed to doing.

Utah 78 Wyoming 71
Interesting post. I am willing to bet that Nelson can out jump Schroyers "big and magic" recruit Liskens. He certainly hustled better than Liskens and played better. But you are right about the Glenn like recruiting that Schroyer has done. But, to you that is all "blah blah blah." Next year, didnt we all say that last year? And, although I would like to think that Wyoming will be competitive, I just dont see it. Utah is to deep and to strong for the pokes and Jim Boylen's kung fu is WAYYYYYYY to advanced and strong for Schroyer. Schroyers inability to coach will provide Utah with a huge blow out victory.
PorkerPoke
Buckaroo

Was Nelson going to propel this team to the next level? Perhaps if he would have stayed in the program he would have contributed better than Wadell or Linskens. Any reasonable fan would have to hope so that after a redshirt and 2 years of playing he would continue to improve. Here is the snippet from the press release when the 2 players transferred:

"Platt played in 29 of Wyoming's 30 games this past season, starting two games -- at Lamar and at home versus New Mexico. He averaged 3.5 points, 1.1 rebounds and 13.6 minutes per game. Against Mountain West Conference opponents, Platt averaged 1.9 points, 0.9 rebounds and 8.7 minutes.

Nelson appeared in all 30 games for the Cowboys, and started 15. He averaged 7.3 points, 2.6 rebounds and 16.0 minutes per game. Versus conference opponents, Nelson scored 6.6 points per game, grabbed 2.3 rebounds per game and played an average of 14.8 minutes.
"

And if you bothered to pay any attention to detail, I said 2 years out. What is becoming a tradition at Wyoming is "another year". McClain started out well with a nice foundation started by Shyatt and sustained it for a short time. But since 2003 the program steadily floundered with poor recruiting and academics leading us to the abyss we now suffer in. I know this team right now does not have it. The bench is thin. I think next year is another year of growing pains much like this year. I do believe that if the recruits coming in (Manzano, M'Baye and Dietz) along with transfers (7'2" Syllacar and Luster) come together as a team with returning players we will not be any worse off. The payback will start in 2010-11. There is still one more scholarship to give and if played right we can get an impact player. Anyway - McClain is an assistant coach at a last place team. Wyoming is getting the full scholarship limit back now that the grades are up and the drop-outs are so far non-existent.

Back to the current Cowboys now. They just plain don't pay an entire game. They do not have as many weapons as the other teams. This team is going to fight mightily with the Rams for the right to stay out of the pigtail game. That just plain sucks.

Oh - by the way, I sure wish I knew what I was talking about. Utah 80 Wyoming 70. Stupidly, I thought the score would only be a 7 point loss at 78-71 in favor of Utah.

Next blowout will definitely occur at SDSU. Another in excess of 20.