idea for Brett

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

i know I'll take alot of flak for this and I know he's better than this, but say the NFL doesn't work out right away, and can't get on with a Europe, Canadian or Arena League team, the Wyoming Calvary would love to help him develop his skills etc...imagine the fan following at the Casper Events Center, just a thought, b4 he goes on to bigger and better things(which he will someday)
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

stymeman wrote:i know I'll take alot of flak for this and I know he's better than this, but say the NFL doesn't work out right away, and can't get on with a Europe, Canadian or Arena League team, the Wyoming Calvary would love to help him develop his skills etc...imagine the fan following at the Casper Events Center, just a thought, b4 he goes on to bigger and better things(which he will someday)
I would never wish the Wyoming Calvary on anyone. Even Brett couldn't turn that dumpster fire around.
I'm good for 3!
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Don't make him cry!
Hayduke
Cowpoke

I wouldn't mind seeing him in the CFL. Growing up in North Dakota, I used to watch the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the Saskatchewan Roughriders play. It's a run and gun offensive show!

Rather see him in an NFL jersey, but, for now, that ship may have sailed.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

time will tell we'll see, but there's other options just to build his confidence and such!!
BJC
A Real Cowboy

...like another year of college :deadhorse1:

any new word on any other teams etc...haven't heard a thing.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Nothing new on teams taking Brett or anything, but take a look at his twitter.
https://twitter.com/brettsmithqb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Any updates? Having not signed with anyone as of yet is very concerning and doesn't bode well for Brett Smith I would think.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Any news on Brett? Seems like he may be back in Laramie finishing school and maybe help coach or something? What a travesty this is, really.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

If you step back and operate under the assumption that he's not NFL material but really wanted to try it, then his decision wasn't terrible. Assuming he stayed, his stock would have likely dropped in the coaching change year. His obvious flaws likely would have been more apparent. He might have never even had a chance. Maybe he took a shot when his chance could never be better.

Wish him the best but, even though I thought otherwise, he is not NFL material. Obviously not even close.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

What a tough situation...all the way around. After about game 5 last year, you could tell there were issues - the fire, desire, & passion were noticeably lower. He took some bad advice IMO...he would have been battling Keaton (and only Keaton IMO) for first team MWC QB this fall.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I feel really bad for Brett. Is he talented? Hell yes he is! Can he play in the NFL? I think he can if he is put in the right situation for the right team. NFL teams want the big pocket passer with a cannon for an arm. That's not Brett, but he does have other skills like speed, agility and leadership. Let's face it, there are Qbs on NFL rosters that are not as good as Brett, but they fit that NFL mold more than Brett. Nothing wrong with going to the CFL where I believe it is a better fit for him at this point.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:If you step back and operate under the assumption that he's not NFL material but really wanted to try it, then his decision wasn't terrible. Assuming he stayed, his stock would have likely dropped in the coaching change year. His obvious flaws likely would have been more apparent. He might have never even had a chance. Maybe he took a shot when his chance could never be better.

Wish him the best but, even though I thought otherwise, he is not NFL material. Obviously not even close.
Your stock can't get any lower than not getting drafted and not making a roster, can it?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:If you step back and operate under the assumption that he's not NFL material but really wanted to try it, then his decision wasn't terrible. Assuming he stayed, his stock would have likely dropped in the coaching change year. His obvious flaws likely would have been more apparent. He might have never even had a chance. Maybe he took a shot when his chance could never be better.

Your stock can't get any lower than not getting drafted and not making a roster, can it?
I suppose never getting invited to any team's OTAs would technically be lower. But yea, at this point, there can be no argument that staying his senior year would have further hurt his NFL stock.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Your stock can't get any lower than not getting drafted and not making a roster, can it?
Not drafted and not invited. I think that is the likely scenario if he stayed. Like I said, if he had his heart set on taking a shot, maybe this was his only one.

I'm sure he truly believed that if just given a shot, he could make it. That is part of what made him a good college QB.

In hindsight, I'm sure if he knew that he wouldn't be playing at all, he would prefer to play another year at WYO. I'm guessing that he thought he would at minimum make a practice squad.

As bad as it was, it probably truly was his best shot at the NFL.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I don't know about that. If he had stayed he would have gotten an invite to the combine. They put emphasis on senior qbs thats why he didn't get invited this year. So staying would have increased his visability thus his chances. Its too bad this happened. I really thought TB was a good spot for him to land but I guess not. Doubt he has given up yet and it will be interesting to see where he goes from here(makes another practice squad, CFL or arena to hone his skills)
theman12
Buckaroo

TSpoke wrote:I don't know about that. If he had stayed he would have gotten an invite to the combine. They put emphasis on senior qbs thats why he didn't get invited this year. So staying would have increased his visability thus his chances. Its too bad this happened. I really thought TB was a good spot for him to land but I guess not. Doubt he has given up yet and it will be interesting to see where he goes from here(makes another practice squad, CFL or arena to hone his skills)
He also most likely would've played in the senior bowl.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote:I don't know about that. If he had stayed he would have gotten an invite to the combine. They put emphasis on senior qbs thats why he didn't get invited this year. So staying would have increased his visability thus his chances. Its too bad this happened. I really thought TB was a good spot for him to land but I guess not. Doubt he has given up yet and it will be interesting to see where he goes from here(makes another practice squad, CFL or arena to hone his skills)
You could definitely be right. However, I'm going under the assumption he doesn't have the skills to be an NFL QB. TB gave him a good shot and they needed a third QB to groom. That was almost a best case scenario. I think if he had NFL potential, he would have been on roster through training camp, potentially cut, but then resigned to practice squad.

I don't think a pro-style O would have masked his deficiencies as well as DC's O did.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Well, if he wants to continue playing football, he need to put he immediate idea of the NFL behind him.

Arena. CFL. There are a couple of options. Arena is probably the #1 option.

I hope he doesn't become a holdout to this idea like Tebow has been. I like Tebow..not because of his politics or religion, it's because he's a leader. I think Brett is a leader also. They need to be involved in the sport they love.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Hayduke wrote:Well, if he wants to continue playing football, he need to put he immediate idea of the NFL behind him.

Arena. CFL. There are a couple of options. Arena is probably the #1 option.

I hope he doesn't become a holdout to this idea like Tebow has been. I like Tebow..not because of his politics or religion, it's because he's a leader. I think Brett is a leader also. They need to be involved in the sport they love.
CFL is waayy way more money than Arena. If he wants to live off playing football he needs to go CFL. Arena pay isn't that great.
I'm good for 3!