More of the same coming on Tuesday

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
PorkerPoke
Buckaroo

Provo bad? Let's stay in the "P" category and do it down our leg again. Lobos 86 Pokes 67.

We are in a tight competition with CSU for the 8th place. I think we hold on and stay in 7th place. If I find myself in a more generous mood in the next 2 weeks I might even say we are the 6th place team. But we are not a top 5 team. No way we are even competitive with SDSU, UNLV, BYU, Utah or UNM.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Maybe - maybe not. This Wyoming team has an attitude problem, not a talent problem.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

I agree that we probably lose in another blowout at New Mexico. However, I think we can be competitive with any team in this league when we play at home. Call me crazy, but I'm convinced we will beat BYU in Laramie. I still see an 8-8 finish.

This team definitely isn't showing the fight they need to if they want to win more games, especially on the road. That being said, I don't think the talent level is as good as we thought it was before the season started. Every team we have lost to, except for TCU (and maybe Boise St.), has had better talent than us. Schroyer is bring in a pretty impressive recruiting class this year, especially if we can get Quinton Thomas here. There will be a lot of new guys on the court next year, and frankly, I see it playing out a lot like this season did. The 2010-11 season will be the season I expect to see vastly improved play.
thirtyseven
Ranch Hand

The cowboys are not very good and will finish about 7th this year. They play no consistent defense and stand around on offense. Is it just me or wasn't that the same stuff people were complaining about with McClain? Well that and the academics which have improved. The team has no plays besides stand around and play one on one basketball. Did anyone else hear Schoyer say "We don't teach plays, we teach concepts" after the Air Force game? What is that crap? Did I forget to mention that we turn the ball over way too much especially for having two senior guards. Hold on to the ball.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

thirtyseven is right. Watch the next game. Count the number of times a Poke cuts to the basket and is fed the ball. Cutting to the basket WITH the ball, yes (that is not a play), but to the basket in anticipation of a pass is a play (won't happen much, if at all).

And watch how a Lobo is glued to a Poke, as if he was in love with him. Then watch how a Poke keeps off his man as if his man has garlic breath, BO, farts a lot, and has the crabs (which he may have, but so what - they DO want to win the game, huh?)).
Danmully
Ranch Hand

I was thinking today how many quality wins we have had in the Shroyer era. The best win would have to be San Diego State A few weeks ago, the only problem with that is thier best player was hurt. Other then that are bests wins would be tcu once csu three air force and colorado and denver once. So basically we have one good win over a good team. pretty horrible for a year and a half. I know alot of people got excited over the hot start but it was a bunch of hollow wins. It boils down to us being a pretty bad team
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Danmully wrote:I know alot of people got excited over the hot start but it was a bunch of hollow wins. It boils down to us being a pretty bad team
I think most everyone realized we had about the most cupcake schedule as was possible. In hindsight although our best win this year has to be Northern Iowa. UNI is 8-1 and leading the Missouri Valley Conference by 2 games (the MVC is a league that has been really good in recent years). We can definitely beat anyone in the conference at home, but I doubt we will ever have the intensity and defense to get an upset win on the road this year.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I'm a slow learner, but I'm beginning to believe that may be true.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Danmully
Ranch Hand

oredigger ur right uni is looking like a possible ncaa tourny team with a 10-1 conference record. I dont believe we'll beat unlv or byu at home. New Mexico and utah at home will be tough games as well 6-10 record in confernce is what im thinking
wyopokesfan23
Ranch Hand

Utah St. Cracked the top 25. I think they are sitting at 22. We took them to O.T. in their barn so we CAN compete on the road we just lose all our intensity if we go down early.
PApokesPhan
Ranch Hand

This year isn't supposed to be the breakout year for Schroyer. It is development of the younger players/students. It is unfortunate for Ewing and Johnson, and I guess Ogirri. This year was to bring in confidence and experience to guys like Muojeke, Thiam, Davis, Diakite, and Waddell. There should be some pretty good talent coming in next year.

Ewing should enjoy his senior year. He will probably have a decent career overseas
wyopokesfan23
Ranch Hand

Slow start but were keepin up. 18-14. WADDELL CANT CATCH!
Danmully
Ranch Hand

Down by 21 at half
PApokesPhan
Ranch Hand

this is the first time ive gotten to see this team this year...and this is just ugly..how they beat any mwc team is ridiculous.. unless they do play 180 at home.

its quite disgusting how poor defensively and in the half court offensively.

waddell has stone hands as well.
Danmully
Ranch Hand

well they beat air force and csu and san diego state didn't have thier best player and come to think about it niether did csu
sharpshooter
Buckaroo

My thoughts on what is just horrible play right now......
We have 3 guys playing totally selfish right now....
The analysis of yesterday's game was quite impressive and Coach Lappas who finally got his teeth fixed because he's a ptp'er for CBS College Sports Telecasts broke down what some of the issues are for Wyoming.

Not even the Mountain West announcers can do that. Instead they make up nicknames The Sheriff, the Sharpshooter, the Maytag man...It's pretty bad....

First.........
The Offense.......Mujoke, Waddell and Tyson Johnson....
Mujoke 95% of the time takes shots with Ogirri waiting for a look , he takes shots with 2 or 3 defenders in his face. He has the worst shot selection of all the players on this team. I'm not looking at what he scores because his defense is worst than his shot selection.... Johnson and Mujoke are the black holes of this team.....

Ogirri if he wanted to be selfish would shot 15-20 times a game.......He was on a fast break and he looked to get Ewing off in transition for his only points til the 4 minute mark......

That's a distributor.....
The announcing crew broke that play down, they stated Sean needs to take more shots......

Tyson Johnson, they called you out last night...... Undersized for a post player.....
You have to realize when you can take your spin move shots in the paint...........1 on 1 not 1 on 2 when the help collapses on you....That's not a good shot......

How about let me pass it to Waddell from 4 feet away? He's a frosh he will be good by next season or Junior year but we need to understand something here......

The offense has to go through Ewing and Ogirri.........Period.....
Ogirri is the poor man's Stephen Curry in terms of range but Sean is Mccalarney from NOtre Dame......
In terms of shot selection and in last nights game when are we going to realize that if we get a lead the other team will press.......and take bad shots......when your down the entire game it's tough to come back....

We actually need to know what the game plan is every game pounding it down low isn't getting it done
Post Players have to understand the extra pass will get us a better shot.....

Win all the home games at the AA and pray we can put 2 halves of road basketball together to win a game....
holding serve at home means we split with everyone and sweeping csu and air force gives us 10 wins in conf.
with SDSU, being the last road game winning 7 of their last 8 going into Vegas.....
Puts this team at 21-9 .... Running off 8 in a row is a long shot.....But it all boils down to the AA .....

All I know is that last home game, after the 2 alley oop dunks and the last one was no class......
Oh don't worry I'll remember that on 3/7....I just wish now Keith Smart missed that shot to beat the cuse....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

What can be fixed in the short term.....
New Offense?
run more plays for Ewing and Ogirri and let them dribble penetrate so that they can distribute the ball......
We need to run more, our bigs don't get the ball out to the guards right away....

Most of our buckets last night were either 3's or in transition.....
Thiam is underperforming can't finish around the basket and he thinks he's a guard shooting 3's?????
#15 in the land in 3pt makes per game, he's closing in on 300 career 3 pointers......
The backcourt has over 3100 career points on this level and we can't get these guys the ball or run plays outside of pick and roll to get these guys shots????

We should have gone 3 guards and see what that would bring......Ewing, Davis, Ogirri.....

I just looked at the box , you have to be kidding me 16 shots for Muojeke......That's not acceptable...
THiam playing those minutes and 3 boards.....