Sports Illustrated (March 17th Issue)

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Fantastic Wyoming crowd in SLC for the wins over UVA and UCLA. Leckner and Dembo, baby.
https://twitter.com/wyoathletics/status ... 7506181120
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

This isn't living in the past at all.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:This isn't living in the past at all.
It is all we have, the past, the very distance past.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

It's from a current issue of Sports Illustrated. So, if anyone is living in the past, it's SI. Personally see nothing wrong with getting pretty cool distinction. That was a good team.

Go Pokes!!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Haha, well it is a current issue.

Also, check your signature. :D
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy

12 seeds are notorious for pulling off upsets, it's pretty amazing they think we top that list.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote:

Check my signature? Did you not see my big rant about how I hate SDSU and have it as a reminder that the great mighty power of SDSU only has 3 wins in NCAA Tourney history?

The point of my signature is not to remind ourselves of that Natty Title win, but rather say that team has as many tourney wins as SDSU has picked up over the last 70 years, basically showing they aren't poop.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes wrote:It's from a current issue of Sports Illustrated. So, if anyone is living in the past, it's SI. Personally see nothing wrong with getting pretty cool distinction. That was a good team.

Go Pokes!!
Damn right, it's a cool distinction. There have been a lot of good twelve-seeds over the years who've done damage in The Dance.

Watched the Craig Bohl PBS interview today where he states that he'd like to return Wyoming football to national prominence. He was referring back to the nationally prominent program of the '60s, obviously. Must be livin' in the past. ;)

Here's another tweet from WYO Athletics concerning the SI article with more Wyoming ties:
https://twitter.com/wyoathletics/status ... 2830949376
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

This is discussing the standard we are trying to reach.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:

Check my signature? Did you not see my big rant about how I hate SDSU and have it as a reminder that the great mighty power of SDSU only has 3 wins in NCAA Tourney history?

The point of my signature is not to remind ourselves of that Natty Title win, but rather say that team has as many tourney wins as SDSU has picked up over the last 70 years, basically showing they aren't poop.
Yes I did, and yes I know your intent....and to be honest I'd rather you be proud of something we accomplished in the past rather than wasting negative energy on a team that has no affect on Wyoming's path of progress other than being on our schedule twice a year anyway.

Point is, the OP didn't post this to live in the past either, just to share a cool article written about us.

Unbunch those panties.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I sure remember that week like it was yesterday, I stayed up late to watch us beat Virginia and was so excited, then when we were to play UCLA on that Saturday I was sooo nervous that I didn't stay home and watch it, I was out driving around listening to bits and pieces on the radio, but I've never really seen anything of that game and man am I disappointed to not see Fennis shut Reggie Miller down. Then that Thursday it was like an event watching us taking a 1 or 2 point lead in at half then watching UNLV dismantle us. Memories of that season I was a Junior in High School and it was truly a wonderful time being a Wyoming fan. Living in the past is truly all we have to remember fun and excitment, not saying our current team isn't exciting, but if it's the NCAA tourney excitement you want, wow oh wow.
I remember my senior year in 88, when Fennis was on the cover of SI, I ran home for lunch and opened the mailbox, and there he was Fennis on the cover, wow oh wow. Only to get a horrible draw to watch that track meet of Loyola Marymount and us, with a final score of 119-115, loss, devistating!!!!!
Then in 2002 when we were the last team to be turned on CBS bracketology that Sunday, seeing us having to play the #6 team Gonzaga in ABQ at the Pit, then beating them(I was spozed to go but they closed the roads in Colorado, man i was upset) then took a good Arizona team to the wire. Yeah the NCAA's are where it's at and I sure can't wait for us to get there again, relatively soon
GO POKES, let's rally and beat Texas A&M tomorrow.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote:I sure remember that week like it was yesterday, I stayed up late to watch us beat Virginia and was so excited, then when we were to play UCLA on that Saturday I was sooo nervous that I didn't stay home and watch it, I was out driving around listening to bits and pieces on the radio, but I've never really seen anything of that game and man am I disappointed to not see Fennis shut Reggie Miller down. Then that Thursday it was like an event watching us taking a 1 or 2 point lead in at half then watching UNLV dismantle us. Memories of that season I was a Junior in High School and it was truly a wonderful time being a Wyoming fan. Living in the past is truly all we have to remember fun and excitment, not saying our current team isn't exciting, but if it's the NCAA tourney excitement you want, wow oh wow.
I remember my senior year in 88, when Fennis was on the cover of SI, I ran home for lunch and opened the mailbox, and there he was Fennis on the cover, wow oh wow. Only to get a horrible draw to watch that track meet of Loyola Marymount and us, with a final score of 119-115, loss, devistating!!!!!
Then in 2002 when we were the last team to be turned on CBS bracketology that Sunday, seeing us having to play the #6 team Gonzaga in ABQ at the Pit, then beating them(I was spozed to go but they closed the roads in Colorado, man i was upset) then took a good Arizona team to the wire. Yeah the NCAA's are where it's at and I sure can't wait for us to get there again, relatively soon
GO POKES, let's rally and beat Texas A&M tomorrow.
Good post. The atmosphere at the Huntsman Center was electric for those two Dance tilts. There was nothing like watching Fennis drop 41 on the Bruins and talking sh!t to Reggie Miller while standing at the free throw line. I'll never forget the looks of panic and frustration on the faces of Terry Holland and Walt Hazzard as their teams were going down to the Pokes. Priceless. What a post-game poor sport Hazzard was, though.

Here's a portion of that SI article concerning Fennis and the Pokes heading into that '87-'88 season. High expectations from the fans but, unfortunately, less than solid fundamentals brought in by the new head coach. (The Pokes hit AP #5 for three weeks before the descent.)

"Laramie, Wyoming, might as well be Mars—it's such a desolate, gorgeous place. It's a special place, and this winter—if the cows come home, the winds stay clear, the snow doesn't white-out Benny Dees up to his own white hair and Dees, in his for-once serious words, "don't mess it all up"—Laramie may be the place to witness the finest college team in the land. And to think that until last March all anybody really knew about Wyoming basketball was the guy with a funny circus sideshow of a name.

Whether college basketball's alltime all-name, Fennis Dembo, leads Wyoming's senior-dominated team out from between the Laramie and Snowy ranges to thrash through a tenderfoot schedule, win the Western Athletic Conference and reach the Final Four—as their devoted fans fully expect them to—or they simply disappear into the wilds of the Medicine Bow National Forest, this year's Cowboys are more than just another college five."

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

Yes, the win over Gonzaga was also memorable. Josh Davis flushing an Uche miss on one end and then quickly blocking a Dickau drive on the other end to seal the deal. The funniest (and most pathetic) thing about the CBS Selection Show that year was watching the clown act of Digger Phelps and Dick Vitale scrunching up their faces for the camera and questioning why Wyoming got in. THEN, when the Pokes beat the Zags, Phelps and Vitale both come back on air to shamelessly remind everyone that Wyoming WAS regular season MWC champion and that the result wasn't that shocking. Clowns.

We have a coach now with the solid fundamentals of Sir James Brandenburg. Papa Shy just needs a little luck in staying away from injuries and other negative extracurricular activities.
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

http://vault.ncaa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just for you Stymeman,( or anyone else ) under games and then by year. 1987
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

POKE FAN wrote:The funniest (and most pathetic) thing about the CBS Selection Show that year was watching the clown act of Digger Phelps and Dick Vitale scrunching up their faces for the camera and questioning why Wyoming got in. THEN, when the Pokes beat the Zags, Phelps and Vitale both come back on air to shamelessly remind everyone that Wyoming WAS regular season MWC champion and that the result wasn't that shocking. Clowns.
This is why I avoid Vitale and the tall ex-lawyer from Duke during this time of year.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

yeah the Mountain West never gets hardly any respect on ESPN, CBS Sports Network like us but we've got a contract with them so maybe that's why...lol, I used to like Vitale but any more his voice is like nails on my chalkboard..thanx