Great Job Cowboys

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

!!
Bloodhound
Buckaroo

Great win over SDSU; the Aztecs were supposed to be amoung the top of the conference and you knocked them down a peg. Keep up the good work, at least until you meet my Cougars, then watch out. :D
nirv117
Ranch Hand

We still made a lot of mistakes, lots of poor ball handling, but we did get the tempo moving in the 2nd half which helped, and pulled out the W. SDSU was minus a player.

I'll take all the wins we can get. Go Pokes.
God is a Cowboy
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

This game shows an improvment from last year. No way we win this game last year. This win could help us get into the NIT if we end up on the bubble. When its all said and done, SDSU will end up towards the top of the league.

On another note, I absolutely can't wait to see M'Baye in a Cowboy uniform next year. I finally got a chance to watch some video on this guy. He belongs in the ACC. Straight up. Next years squad will be heads and tails above this years team. The exciting thing is, I think this years team will challenge for a conference crown and end up no lower than fourth. Say what you want, but we aren't as bad as everybody was saying. Go Pokes!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Definitely the best win of the year so far! but....in all fairness, SDSU was without their best player. Does he change the outcome if he is healthy? probably. We really need to pick it up on the boards, but all in all a good effort. I think Ewing is the best player in the Mountain West Conference.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

TheRealUW wrote:The exciting thing is, I think this years team will challenge for a conference crown
Cant say I agree with this assessment at all.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

[quote="nirv117"]SDSU was minus a player.[quote]

And we weren't? We have been playing with a short roster all year. Our 3rd leading scorer, and one of our best defenders (Dermody) went down before the season started.

I like the win and think we can build on it. Some sloppy play and bad turnovers, but I'll blame some of that on an 11 days break.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:
TheRealUW wrote:The exciting thing is, I think this years team will challenge for a conference crown
Why? There will be some very good talent in Laramie next year. There is no reason to believe we can't be in the hunt next year....especially now.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:
Why? There will be some very good talent in Laramie next year. There is no reason to believe we can't be in the hunt next year....especially now.
???? read closer...there is no discussion of next year
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:Definitely the best win of the year so far! but....in all fairness, SDSU was without their best player. Does he change the outcome if he is healthy? probably. We really need to pick it up on the boards, but all in all a good effort. I think Ewing is the best player in the Mountain West Conference.
Dermody.....we've been short all year.

Why don't you just give the Pokes some credit? Jeez.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:
???? read closer...there is no discussion of next year
Please accept my apology.
Last edited by JimmyDimes on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:Definitely the best win of the year so far! but....in all fairness, SDSU was without their best player. Does he change the outcome if he is healthy? probably. We really need to pick it up on the boards, but all in all a good effort. I think Ewing is the best player in the Mountain West Conference.

??? I did, I said it was a great win. Lorenzo Wade is a great player. You aren't seriously compaing Dermody with Wade?
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:

??? I did, I said it was a great win. Lorenzo Wade is a great player. You aren't seriously compaing Dermody with Wade?
I'm just not willing to call it a loss even if Wade does play.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

With Dermody 100%, he gives us depth and we sure could have used it last night. I don't think we played as good a game as we are capable of - we started out the game showing that we hadn't played a game in 11 days. We weren't rebounding, there were unforced turnovers, and we were missing easy shots. We also fouled out two of our good players early. Even with all that, we still got the win.
The main thing that stands out to me is this team is improving just about every game (with the exception of UCLA and Utah). Not all the teams in the MWC can say that. I don't think UNLV, SDSU, BYU, or Utah can say that. I saw marked improvement in our defense. Our youngsters went to school last night and I think they will get better because of that experience.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

My observations from watching on TV:
1) Waddell is a real animal - everyone should play that hard.
2) Can Linskens do more than just get in the way? Look at his pathetic picks and flat feet.
3) Ewing was the worst percentage shooter of the starters- 50% (Thiam worst overall at 2-4)
4) Finally, defensive pressure, but a good 3-point shooter, like UNLV's Darger, will hurt the Pokes.