Maury Brown Court...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
7220Fan
Ranch Hand

I've never heard of him... Did he go to UW? Why would they name the court after him?? Just wondering.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

kdwrightuwyo wrote:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Lots so
cowboyforlife
Buckaroo

Maybe I heard it differently, but it sounded like he bought the naming rights to the court (not that it will necessarily be named after him).
Evermore
Buckaroo

I heard a $3M donation....
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

cowboyforlife wrote:Maybe I heard it differently, but it sounded like he bought the naming rights to the court (not that it will necessarily be named after him).
That is indeed what they said. So it may be a different name
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

7220Fan wrote:I've never heard of him... Did he go to UW? Why would they name the court after him?? Just wondering.
He is a huge donor to CJC and Cowboy Athletics. He owns the Town and Country complex in Cheyenne. Over the years he has donated a ton of money and has provided summer jobs for athletes who have stayed over the break. He deserves the recognition no doubt.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Big oil and gas money, Brown Exploration, I think is name of his company. Tons of $$$$$$.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Maury Brown (and relatives) has been EXTREMELY successful in buying up Converse County federal oil and gas leases prior to and during the recent boom. His income stream (while large now) is almost undoubtedly still on the way UP.

...and you don't have to drill to make a ton of money. A 5% overriding royalty interest on a producing Converse County federal oil and gas lease is big $$$$$.
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

He's been a great role model and father figure to many of the current and former basketball players.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Maury's a truly good guy, he bleeds brown and gold and will do many things for many people, this is a good call
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

Maury is a great man. Not only humble but always extending his hand in helping others. He has been a influential role model to many former basketball players and hopefully will continue to do so. Has always flown under the radar of press for his help but has been a big part of Wyoming hoops for a long long time.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

I believe Maury is also Cory Talich's father-in-law.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Cheywypoke wrote:I believe Maury is also Cory Talich's father-in-law.
You are correct. Maury is a hell of a guy. He's been a huge supporter of Wyoming athletics for a very long time. He's been humble while doing so, though, so he's flown under the radar.
landpoke
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote:Maury Brown (and relatives) has been EXTREMELY successful in buying up Converse County federal oil and gas leases prior to and during the recent boom. His income stream (while large now) is almost undoubtedly still on the way UP.

...and you don't have to drill to make a ton of money. A 5% overriding royalty interest on a producing Converse County federal oil and gas lease is big $$$$$.
Truth. If you've done any land work in the state of Wyoming his name pops up all the time. He owns an override on many hundreds fed and state leases. Call him a modern day Mr. 5%
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I just heard on KFBC SportsZone that Mr. Brown passed away earlier this afternoon.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

WyoExpat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:58 pm I just heard on KFBC SportsZone that Mr. Brown passed away earlier this afternoon.
Sad to hear...heck of a person and Pokes fan!!! Rest in Peace Maury!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

RIP, Maury
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

WyoExpat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:58 pm I just heard on KFBC SportsZone that Mr. Brown passed away earlier this afternoon.
Very sad. The era of local Wyoming wildcatters is coming to an end. Maury has done as much for the basketball program as anyone throughout his life.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Anyone heard when his memorial will be in Cheyenne