Beat the Zoomies

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

they always are a thorn in our side but I see Larry having a wonderful game and Granberry shoots lights out this one...GO POKES
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Pokes need to win this to show that the Boise win wasn't a fluke.

Wyo should win this I believe, but then again, a road game in the MWC is NOT easy.

Nance should dominate them inside though. If he gets into foul trouble early it could be a bad thing.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Riley has not shown up the last two games. Washington needs a lot more game time, which I hope he has if Shyatt does what is necessary in this game - a four guard lineup, with Nance and Adams the designated board-hitters. If a shooter shows that he just isn't on target, he gets the bench. No more 0 for 7 from the arc for any player.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Adv8RU12 wrote:Riley has not shown up the last two games. Washington needs a lot more game time, which I hope he has if Shyatt does what is necessary in this game - a four guard lineup, with Nance and Adams the designated board-hitters. If a shooter shows that he just isn't on target, he gets the bench. No more 0 for 7 from the arc for any player.
Why do you think that we need a 4 guard lineup for AFA?

They are a small team anyways, if you threw a couple big guys at them down low, they would be totally screwed.

I think Wyo goes with the normal lineup they have all season, with Hankseron and Granberry being the first two off the bench.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:Riley has not shown up the last two games. Washington needs a lot more game time, which I hope he has if Shyatt does what is necessary in this game - a four guard lineup, with Nance and Adams the designated board-hitters. If a shooter shows that he just isn't on target, he gets the bench. No more 0 for 7 from the arc for any player.
0-7?? That seems a little lenient! Grabau's the only player to even attempt 7 three's in the past four games.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

From the AFA game I watched, they appear quick and move the ball around well. They did not seem to try to penetrate that much. Cooke can't keep up with these guys. Four guards probably can. Nance may be the only enforcer needed inside. But Shyatt will do what he thinks best. He hasn't called me yet to get my opinion on this game.
ltcpilot
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

From an AF fan......this will be a tough match for both team. Hope safe travels to anyone heading down to the game. Here's my thoughts on the matchup plus newslinks for both AF and Wyoming....GO FALCONS

All the stats and newslinks won't transfer here in the right format so for my full blog at http://ricksfalconreview.blogspot.com/

With that said, this is a big game for our Falcons as they start the next three game season. Coach P, his staff and the players are looking at their MWC season as a series of three-game seasons to try to focus on one part at a time for a very young Falcon team. They went 2-1 and 1-2 in their first two mini seasons and now begin their next three game season home tonight versus Wyoming (followed by a bye, then on the road at Boise State and Nevada). With this being the only home game in this 3-game stretch, it is a must win for Air Force.

An interesting matchup of styles in this game as both teams are playing deliberate basketball on offense with emphasis on defense, but with Wyoming have the upper hand at this time in holding their opponents in check in their offensive output. A look at the numbers both in conference and for the season:

stats here....

Wyoming is playing a very deliberate motion offense under Coach Larry Shyatt. It is not the Princeton but displays many attribute that Falcon fans will recognize from watching AF since they began running the Princeton. Perimeter play with passing and cuts will be emphasized attempting to find the open shot or lull the defense into stretching toward the perimeter then looking for the open inside man either cutting to the basket or running the baseline. And they have a terrific weapon to do that in scoring leader Larry Nance Jr (6'8"/225#/Jr/16ppg/9rpg). Guards play is solid with Adams (6'2"/12ppg) and Grabau their 3-point shooter (6'2"/11ppg/48% 3pt on 40-83 3's....as a comparison Tre' Coggins for our Falcons 45% on 46-103 3's). They are similar to AF as they normally play 8 deep, however getting more points from the three off the bench getting 17 out of 67 pts in their last game (beating SJSU at Wyoming 67-56, AF beat SJSU at home also 72-62 with 23 TO's). Two interesting notes: 1) Wyoming has been out rebounded in all 4 MWC games. AF has won the rebounding stats in 4 of their 6 MWC games. 2) Wyoming's Nance in leading the MWC in blocked shots per game.

A must win for the Falcons, period...dot. And to do that they must focus and take care of the ball. With both team playing patient offenses the team that takes care of the ball may well have the upper hand. The interesting thing in the matchup may well be tempo and the fact that AF (don't be surprised at this comment) may be the faster team. Coach P's philosophy has been to push the tempo up the floor to look for the quick shot and/or (maybe more importantly) push the ball to deny the opponent's defense the opportunity to set up their defense as quick or to pressure the ball in the back court.

Air Force must go inside-out. It was never more apparent than watching last week's game vs CSU. In the first half the Falcons simply accepted more outside shots versus going inside. In this second half you saw more of the penetration and then the kickout (if no shot was available) for a better looking three and it showed in 3pt % with 23% 3's in the first half but 40% for the second half. They cannot be afraid of Nance and must attack.

Guard the arc. Wyoming has 3 very good outside shooters and they will to use that to lure the Falcons out. We must not give the open look and make them take contested shots while not forgetting Nance inside. Tough job but lock down defense will be a key.

I am getting bored saying, like a broken record, we must get points off the bench. It's time....need I say more?

If 'any' cadets read this blog or if anyone knows cadets in Section 8 then pass this along. We need the support of the student body. We need Section 8 at this game. We need the fans to get involved. This is YOUR team, get out and support them!

Big game, tough game.....BEAT WYOMING

Newslinks here.............
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

AFA always concerns me. They are always considered beatable and yet somehow they alway get a maintain a lead all the way to a close victory. And they've proven to be that kind of team again. Just hoping we can finally beat them.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

Another huge game for the Pokes. This is another example of one of those games that could go either way that the Cowboys have not been able to pull out so far this season. I expect this to be a close game the wntire way, but if forced to, I'd pick the Pokes to win this game.

Stopping Tre Coggins will be key to this game. Prior to a poor performance against CSU on Saturday, Coggins had scored at least 20 points in the previous four games, including dropping 29 on SDSU in upset bid that fell just short.

Expect to see Shyatt employ a lot of man-to-man defense against a very good jump-shooting team in Air Force. Air Force doesn't have a ton a size, so the zone won't be necessary to clog up the lane. The wiiner of this game likely will come down to good old fashioned shooting percentage. Which team is making more of their shots tonight will determine this contest that is bound to go down to the wire.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

gotta get this one to get back on track of the 2 early conf losses, then we'll truly see our full potential, me thinks
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

TheRealUW wrote:Another huge game for the Pokes. This is another example of one of those games that could go either way that the Cowboys have not been able to pull out so far this season. I expect this to be a close game the wntire way, but if forced to, I'd pick the Pokes to win this game.

Stopping Tre Coggins will be key to this game. Prior to a poor performance against CSU on Saturday, Coggins had scored at least 20 points in the previous four games, including dropping 29 on SDSU in upset bid that fell just short.

Expect to see Shyatt employ a lot of man-to-man defense against a very good jump-shooting team in Air Force. Air Force doesn't have a ton a size, so the zone won't be necessary to clog up the lane. The wiiner of this game likely will come down to good old fashioned shooting percentage. Which team is making more of their shots tonight will determine this contest that is bound to go down to the wire.
Well good thing Wyo is a defensive team. And if we can beat Boise in a close game in Boise, I think we can pull it out in the Springs.

Wyo shut down Muhammed from SJSU and Boises guards, why wouldn't they be able to against AFA?
Wyo wins by 5-10 I think.
68-61
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Actually make that 62-55.
Our defense has been shutting teams down big time lately.
wylrae
Buckaroo

Other board says Shyatt will not be on the sidelines tonight because of illness. Will make it more difficult for UW to pull off a win.
ltcpilot
Buckaroo

I hope this is all B.S. MWC forum poster says Coach Shyatt is ill and will not coach tonight, that Edwards would coach. Sound like 'smoke' to me. I hope coach Shyatt is there and this is bogus. If indeed he is ill, then prayers to him for a quick recover.......ltcpilot '77

Now on the 'other' Wyo board it says this...
University of Wyoming head coach Larry Shyatt has become ill in Colorado Springs, Colo. Coach Shyatt has decided it is in the best interest of the team that he not coach in the game versus Air Force tonight. Coach Shyatt hopes to rejoin the team for practice on Thursday in Laramie. Assistant Coach Allen Edwards will coach the Cowboys on Wednesday night as Coach Edwards was in charge of scouting Air Force and developing the game plan for tonight's game.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

wylrae wrote:Other board says Shyatt will not be on the sidelines tonight because of illness. Will make it more difficult for UW to pull off a win.
This will have some impact on the game, but not a major one. Shyatt is an excellent tactician, but the majority of the gameplan is in place heading into the game. It will be interesting to see if player minutes shake out any differently though.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

The team still has Edwards, Duncan, and Little Shyatt. They have a game plan in place and everyone knows their role. It's up to the team to execute at this point.

And no, Larry does not pull the whole smoke screen crap. He's too professional for that.
ltcpilot
Buckaroo

kdwrightuwyo wrote:The team still has Edwards, Duncan, and Little Shyatt. They have a game plan in place and everyone knows their role. It's up to the team to execute at this point.

And no, Larry does not pull the whole smoke screen crap. He's too professional for that.
Just so you know, I was not implying that Coach Shyatt was doing anything, rather that that guy we all read about (Mr. Anonymous) had made this up in posting it initially. Even 'Howdy Doody' would not pull crap like that! GO FALCONS
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

ltcpilot wrote:
kdwrightuwyo wrote:The team still has Edwards, Duncan, and Little Shyatt. They have a game plan in place and everyone knows their role. It's up to the team to execute at this point.

Just so you know, I was not implying that Coach Shyatt was doing anything, rather that that guy we all read about (Mr. Anonymous) had made this up in posting it initially. Even 'Howdy Doody' would not pull crap like that! GO FALCONS
Howdy Doody would...he is not below cheap crap like that.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Down 15 and win by 7!
Seriously?!
YES!!!!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Great win Pokes! Give em hell Wyo!
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.