The BOT is out of control.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

First they hire a puppet in Buchanan, forcing his name into the pool of candidates, resulting in the rest of the candidates dropping out. Then they hire a guy to come in and clean out all the people that don't lay down for the BOT and our energy interests. After he cleans up all the mal-contents they can him. His hiring process is private so no one but the BOT knows what went on behind the scenes. Next the appoint another puppet to be interim president. With public pressure to make the hiring process open they decide to promote him without giving any other candidate a chance at the job.

How do we get rid of BOT members again? It's obvious the house cleaning at UW needs to start at the top, and these idiots are the top.

The word trustee implies that we trust them to run the University in a competent manner. That's not the case. I trust that they will do whatever they want and normally f-word up the decision they are tasked to make.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

The governance of education is completely in the hands of the governor and a small cotiere of people.
The state board of education is appointed, the state commissioner of education is appointed, the University BOT is appointed, the community college commission is appointed. Appointed by the governor after being recommended by...seated board members and their staff among others.
Appointed board members are recipe for secrecy and lack of accountability by their execs (and high handed tactics, back door politics, and other evils). There is a reason Wyoming state government is ranked 50th in accountability and transparency. We have nearly a hundred appointed boards and commissions that "oversee" liquor, highways, education, insurance, etc.

So-what should we do? ELECT BOT (and a few other boards) membership on a statewide basis and hold them accountable for their service to the people of Wyoming!!!

We need to turn this into a consitutional amendment and put it in front of the electorate
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

CO elects the board of regents for the CU system. Seems to work well as every area of the state gets represented on the board.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Our BOT has f'd up Wyoming so bad they had to name McG pres in order to fill in all the openings created by Sternberg. Again, the process is closed from the public and not open to applications, although they probably aren't receiving any applications after they've crapped all over Wyoming's reputation.

Fire the BOT and get someone competent. Leadership starts at the top and right now the top is a bunch of morons making bad decision after bad decision.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

A lot of the issues start with the baseline culture of the position. There is a long & strong history there - that shadows in comparison to the movie The Untouchables. We need a modern day Eliot Ness to clean that poop up.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

typical good ol boy stuff going on like usual
wylrae
Buckaroo

"by HR_Poke » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:46 am

CO elects the board of regents for the CU system. Seems to work well as every area of the state gets represented on the board."

Not likely to work in Wyoming with our elected (I.e., governor, in particular, and his good old boy crowd in the House and Senate) control freaks. We elected a Superintendent of Public Instruction (although I did not vote for her) who apparently disagreed with how the governor wanted education in the State of Wyoming run so he and good old boys simply removed her duties and gave them to a governor appointed commissioner of education; basically telling the people of Wyoming who voted for Cindy Hill that their votes were worthless that the good old boys will do the governor's bidding and find some way to try to make the voters of Wyoming think they have the best interests of Wyoming people at heart so they appoint a select kangaroo court (impeachment proceedings) to convince the people of Wyoming that Cindy Hill misspent federal contract monies--of course the good old boys' select committee isn't going to allow Cindy Hill to address and question her accusers. Talk about possible "misspending of federal contract monies," how about frittering away hundreds of thousands in Wyoming monies to create and fund a new governor created agency and the good old boys contingent trying to come up with some reason to justify their actions of throwing out the votes of the Wyoming people? Although it will be of no consequence, I will not be voting for any of our Albany County state elected representatives (who all voted to do the governor's bidding) and will vote for Cindy Hill for governor if she is allowed to run (expect the governor will line up his good old buddies to find a way to prohibit that from happening). Although I like the idea of electing members to the Board of Trustees, I realize this is Wyoming and know that decisions will continue to be made behind closed doors whether it be in the State Capitol building, in rooms at Little America in Cheyenne, or rooms in Old Main.
Utah Poke
Buckaroo

:twocents: ... isn't Hill being investigated for a multitude of inappropriate actions (fiscal and personal)? Why on earth would anyone deliberately vote for her? Especially for governor. Maybe this attitude is more prevalent than I think it is. Perhaps THAT is part of the problem?? Don't hold her accountable for her actions....promote her. Good grief.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Utah Poke wrote::twocents: ... isn't Hill being investigated for a multitude of inappropriate actions (fiscal and personal)? Why on earth would anyone deliberately vote for her? Especially for governor. Maybe this attitude is more prevalent than I think it is. Perhaps THAT is part of the problem?? Don't hold her accountable for her actions....promote her. Good grief.
Thats what I thought too. I vote in CO so we have our own douche bags to deal with so I don't pay attention to the WY ones anymore.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Utah Poke wrote::twocents: ... isn't Hill being investigated for a multitude of inappropriate actions (fiscal and personal)? Why on earth would anyone deliberately vote for her? Especially for governor. Maybe this attitude is more prevalent than I think it is. Perhaps THAT is part of the problem?? Don't hold her accountable for her actions....promote her. Good grief.
Tell me what she did - but show me proof. I'm like Wylrae in that I didn't vote for her either, but I sure don't like how this was handled and kept super secret.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Well, we continually elect republicans from Jackson hole ( mead) and he gets to choosehis brother an like minded people for trustees. These are not people who go to undergrad at UW for the most part ( maybe they go for law school). Don't vote for Teton county politicians, and don't vote on strict party lines. If you want to make a difference at our university vote for uw alum ( not Utah, byu, csu, or Montana alums). If u really care about our state university don't vote for these type of candidates.

My rule of thumb is to only vote for uw grads and beer drinkers!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

marcuswyo wrote:Well, we continually elect republicans from Jackson hole ( mead) and he gets to choosehis brother an like minded people for trustees. These are not people who go to undergrad at UW for the most part ( maybe they go for law school). Don't vote for Teton county politicians, and don't vote on strict party lines. If you want to make a difference at our university vote for uw alum ( not Utah, byu, csu, or Montana alums). If u really care about our state university don't vote for these type of candidates.

My rule of thumb is to only vote for uw grads and beer drinkers!
Pot is always good for college peeps. Btw, medicinal marihuana drafted for Wyoming. Chances? In 10 years when 35 states legalize weed, Wyoming will be weedless and lottery less
W-Y, Until I Die!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

So they're going to repeal the lottery? Once you get that headstrong group in Cheyenne to make up their minds on something it's usually pretty hard to reverse it.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

They sure are dragging their feet with lottery, I won't believe anything until I'm buying a ticket
W-Y, Until I Die!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Why in the hell would they not want a lottery?
It will bring in out of state dollars. Plain and simple.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

McPeachy wrote:A lot of the issues start with the baseline culture of the position. There is a long & strong history there - that shadows in comparison to the movie The Untouchables. We need a modern day Eliot Ness to clean that poop up.
Yep, this all goes back over a century. Y'all should read Thyra Thompson's (I believe it was her) book about the re-apportionment fight in Wyoming all through the 80's and 90's. The northern part of the state has historically always held sway over the rest of it. In Wyoming, the tail has been wagging the dog for quite some time.

Time for an initiative push to amend the state constitution to re-classify certain state officers (such as theBOT) as elected instead of appointed. Also, the representation should be apportioned by population...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Wyovanian wrote:
McPeachy wrote:A lot of the issues start with the baseline culture of the position. There is a long & strong history there - that shadows in comparison to the movie The Untouchables. We need a modern day Eliot Ness to clean that poop up.
Yep, this all goes back over a century. Y'all should read Thyra Thompson's (I believe it was her) book about the re-apportionment fight in Wyoming all through the 80's and 90's. The northern part of the state has historically always held sway over the rest of it. In Wyoming, the tail has been wagging the dog for quite some time.

Time for an initiative push to amend the state constitution to re-classify certain state officers (such as theBOT) as elected instead of appointed. Also, the representation should be apportioned by population...
Thyra Thompson was the smartest elected official that I have known since I have been around.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.