New Mexico

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

they are down from past years but still formidable, do we have a chance, it's mid week, anybody going? Does anybody really care, it'll still be fun to try to get in "Peter Pan's" head (Hugh Greenwood), Kendall Williams and Bairstow....what's everybody think, I see this being a blowout in the Lobos favor, but maybe it'll wake this team up and see where we truly need be...hope I'm wrong
I hate conference games in Laramie when the students aren't there, but really that doesn't make any difference anyway... and Pokes, shoot the ball!!!!!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

I'll be there, and I don't show up to basketball games unless I expect to see the Pokes compete for a W.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Everybody has to be on!!! and they should use Sellers to bang against Bairstow!!!!! SHOOT THE BALL
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

oh yeah I forgot to mention Alex Kirk, yes we need bigs this game!!!! Larry can't do it all
wyoav211933
Ranch Hand

It's a game that we can steal, but we need to be careful because it is more likely to get out of hand. They shouldn't have too many problems beating us up in the post and on the boards. We absolutely need to start shooting better.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I'll be there. It will be like all the games we have played this year. We will be in it down till hte end. Now if we can just figure out how to finish. I saw that shyatt said that Sellers could get more playing time against the bigs of New Mexico.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Sellers will foul out if given much playing time (except maybe against DII opponents). But I agree the Pokes have to get off more shots. I mean 50 or so points a game? Not only boring, but against conference foes, unproductive. Shoot the ball, damn it, then pack the paint for possible offensive rebounds.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I will be there.
NM doesn't have the same type of team they used to. They no longer play defense, they just outscore teams.
Wyo can win this, but if they don't, it looks to be a VERY long conference season.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Josh Adams and Riley need to drive to the hoop and get those bigs in trouble, come on guys be tough all around, cya tonite....and SHOOT THE BALL
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

Tough match-up tonight against one of the better teams in the MWC. New Mexico is good, but they aren't elite, so the Cowboys will have a chance to win this game if they play well. At this point in the season, it's pretty clear what this team's weaknesses and strengths are. Those aren't going to change overnight, and likely won't change much this entire season. We will have to hope the shots are falling for the Pokes tonight. If not, it is going to be very tough for them to pull off the upset tonight.

Player to Watch: Cameron Bairstow (F, 6'9, 250 lbs, Sr.)
Kendall Williams gets all the hype and Alex Kirk gets most the pub when it comes to the Lobos frontcourt, but Bairstow is arguably the best player for New Mexico this season. In fact, there is a very good case to be made that he is the MWC player of the year so far. He has made an unbelievable transformation from a role player last year to an absolutely dominant force down low this year. He utilizes his strength to his advantage and has flawless body control and awareness of positioning. He gets 10-15 points every single night just by putting himself in the right position and sealing his defender as the ball moves around the perimeter.

I know everyone thinks the sky is falling after the Nevada loss, but I don't expect this game to be a blowout. I'm not going to predict a Cowboys win, but they will keep this game within reach and give themselves a chance to win should New Mexico have a bad game or make uncharacteristic mistakes. In the end though, New Mexico just has too much talent. I'll take New Mexico by 6 or 7 points, but this game is certainly worth watching.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Outgunned. Dumb mistakes and turnovers. Adams blew it...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Yeaaaa, another moral victory.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times

Sobey blew it also. First he doesn't pass the ball to a wide open Adams for a layup and he gets fouled and then proceeds to miss both free throws and then we get another turnover and Sobey comes down when we have a chance to take the lead or tie and he turns it over.

Also Nance shouldn't be taking 3's late in the game when we have the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead. He should be closer to the basket. Just dumb shot selection, missed free throws and over all low basketball IQ.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Nance just seemed to disappear in ot.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

That was so close!
Maybe ties should be allowed in regular season games.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Cuttslam wrote:Nance just seemed to disappear in ot.
He has a history of that. In all seriousness, I think he's a little bipolar. He's either on top of the world eating prime beef or rooting through the landfill for his lost puppy.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

I don't understand why Sobey plays so much more than Granberry or Hankerson... I think either one of those guys could be more effective with less risk than Sobey if given playing time.

This team is in every game, just can't close.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

ProudWYOAlum wrote:I don't understand why Sobey plays so much more than Granberry or Hankerson... I think either one of those guys could be more effective with less risk than Sobey if given playing time.

This team is in every game, just can't close.
Sobey kept us in this game and made some big plays, even ran over to the student section pumping the section over. What the hell did Granberry do?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Not a moral victory, but Wyo was in it, and showed they can play. Complain about it all you want but in the end it was an OT loss. This team can play, and will win some games. We are 2 shots away from being 2-0 in MWC play.

Wyo absolutely has to go and beat Boise in Boise.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Did anyone see if they actually lowered the 'Pokes' 1st half rim after Burman broke out the measuring stick at halftime? UNM media is reporting it was lowered 3" after being measured at 10' 3". I saw measurements, but never saw an adjustment...