has anyone on campus...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
jcintherock
Ranch Hand

...seen Granberry or Hankerson dunk????.....anywhere???. Those have to be the most vertically challenged brothas on the planet. Seriously. If Hankerson was a four star kid outta high school then Marcus Bailey was a 12. Dax Crum was a better four star kid...ouch. Drop the shoulder left, drive to the right is his ONLY effin move!!!! Every coach knows that now. Granberry waits for clearance from the bench to shoot a shot. Dude, that's the only reason you're here. SHOOT THE DAMN BALL!!!!...it'
s probably the only clean look during the possession.

...and why was the last play designed for Larry Nance?????...was he going to create a look for himself???.....really???
I love the kid but he does not have a SINGLE consistent, tangible basketball skill. Not one. Sobey had a better chance of creating a decent look than Nance, and that's not saying much. In the last two minutes he took some of the most amateurish shots in the history of D1 basketball.

We were exposed badly.

When does the outdoor track season start??

Seriously
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Here is another one for you - Jack Bentz. Why all the minutes were wasted on him OOC instead of being given to Trey, Granberry, Hankerson...I have no idea.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Have to agree with everything. Nance only seems to flourish when it's him and an inferior defender. Anyone with any skill or a double team means nance disappears. And it really looks like certain players aren't allowed to shoot. Grabau and sobey seem to be able to shoot endlessly with out repercussions while Adams and guys like Cooke miss one basket and get yanked. I'll never understand why Cooke isn't averaging the same minutes as nance. HES A BIG BODY! Get him in the damn game! He's arguably the best athlete on our team and is a rebound machine but saw what, 5 minutes the second half? He could really take some pressure off Larry by just being there. Frick this season is really frustrating to watch
jcintherock
Ranch Hand

not sure that I agree on Cooke as he still has limited basketball IQ and finishing skills. I can't figure out why Granberry is soooo hesistant because he has a quick enough release to be effective in this conference out there. He shouldn't try to attack the rim though....it's tough to finish at the 9'6" level in D1.

Seriously
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

My observations and complaints: 1) Nance only effective point blank at the hoop - should not try outside shots and NEVER at three. 2) Hankerson (and Cooke) need serious work at the freethrow line. 3) Sobey seems only effective offesively from the three from the corner. 4) Grabau only in the groove if he hits his first three try. 5) Washington needs a lot more floor time and shots. 5) Shyatt needs to pack the paint on defense when opponent has a good inside man. 5) Granberry in mainly when defense is needed.

Any contradictions or other observations?
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I'm just flabergasted by the play of Hankerson and Granberry! Hankerson started out with promise, played good, was making good cuts, getting to the basket, and was even shooting 85% from the foul line in , I think it was the first five games. Since about that time frame every aspect of his game has crumbled!

I NEVER wanted Granberry. I was even promoting others that we could've gone after. I was telling people that his numbers, as (mediocre) as they were in the A-Sun, was going to amount to hardly anything here. He was a complete was of a Scholly. I would've preferred a JUCO kid who could at least build with two years compared to the " one and dud!"
I'm seriously giving Shyatt maybe two years. We say this next recruiting class is the "ONE", let's hope so. Because 20 wins a season will only get you so far, especially when you only getting 4-6 wins in conf play a year!
Really, 21-12, even 20-14... That ain't great. That's 26 losses in two years Schroyer had 32 in his first two years...not much of a difference if you ask me. Shyatts 41 wins to Schroyers 29 in their first two years is that great either. Especially when it's coming against terrible "regional" schools, i.e., Western St., Black Hills St, Idaho St and the like!
Do I see more fight and better team work in these guys? Absolutely, but we still can't win and continue to fall to the bottom of the conf rankings year after year!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I have to agree with all that has been said here. When we can't beat the dregs of the conference like Nevada, it does not bode well for the season. Especially when there are teams in our conference knocking off the Kansases of the world.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:My observations and complaints: 1) Nance only effective point blank at the hoop - should not try outside shots and NEVER at three. 2) Hankerson (and Cooke) need serious work at the freethrow line. 3) Sobey seems only effective offesively from the three from the corner. 4) Grabau only in the groove if he hits his first three try. 5) Washington needs a lot more floor time and shots. 6) Shyatt needs to pack the paint on defense when opponent has a good inside man. 7) Granberry in mainly when defense is needed.

Any contradictions or other observations?
#1. Nance is shooting 26% from the 3 for the year.
#2. Agree - over the entire season Hankerson averages 63% on free throws and Cooke is shooting 46%.
#3. Sobey is shooting 19% from the 3 for the year. He did hit 1 of 2 against Nevada though.
#4. Grabau started slow, but did hit 44% (4-9) of his threes against Nevada.
#5. Washington didn't take any shots against Nevada and played 9 minutes.
#6. I disagree here. Nevada shot 43% from the 3 in the first half and 40% for the game. I don't think we played good defense inside or out against Nevada.
#7. Granberry played 23 minutes against Nevada and had 3 pts. (a 3), 1 assist, 1 turnover, & 1 steal, 2 defensive rebounds.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
jcintherock
Ranch Hand

I still think that Shyatt will get this done, that being an NCAA bid in the next 3 years but.... between Marshall, Ajayi, McManamen, Sellers, Haldorson, Hankerson and jury out on Herndon and Granberry, he has had a ton of misses. Granted he should be given some slack for the first class, but this is excessive.

With any luck Washington and Vernon blow up over the summer and a couple of the freshmen are ready to contribute from day one. Especially the big kid.

Peace
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I think Nance should have had the last shot, but they needed to give him the ball with enough time to post the guy up.
And Hankerson and Granberry...I agree...wtf?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

I've seen hankerson dunk, and dunk hard. His issue is he can't hold onto the ball when he goes down the lane
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

yeah the unselfishness is maddening at times, shoot the rock and especially, CRASH THE BOARDS.
Frustrated watching this team struggle game in and game out
uwaluminidaho
Buckaroo

So true all of you.
Now don’t blow a gasket ya ‘all, but just think about this. In the final few ticks of the Nevada game, I really think that Sellers, yes that’s right, Sellers would have been a better inside go to guy in the crunch than Nance. What?? WTF Buckaroo…..
Sellers has shown some inside the paint skills with either hand, can get a soft shot up, and can get an occasional rebound. Both he and Cooke should have been in the game along with Nance. When he is away from the basket, Nance a better passer than scorer at that point.
We all have not seen much of Sellers, and some have said that he is a waste of a scholarship. Maybe. However, Sellers needs some playing time try to get some advantage (or equality) with him. Uh, um ah…like he’s tall. Is he a liability on every possession as some have said? Maybe. Again. But he is for sure a liability to the program if Shyatt won’t play him, as are the rest of our scholarship non contributors.
Earlier, Stone Hands Travelin’ Man No Neck Hank ‘clanked’ a dribble drive ( most often, lowers his head and charges, generally losing control of the ball in the process) off of the glass, (no iron, just glass). Should have spent more time in skills clinic instead of the weight room. Somewhat later, then Benjamin Buford Blue Granberry had an air ball three, then muffed one out of bounds. The dudes are indeed duds.
To end it all, our go to guy, Nance took a couple of 5th grader shots. Embarrassing!
Even the Beav is not calling Nance a ‘f-word beast’ anymore. We learn slowly.
Washington clearly the best shooter on the team. Maybe the best player.
Go Pokes, down a different road.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

Absolutely! This team should be focusing much more on rebounding. We are getting out rebounded by teams we shouldn't be. At any rate, you have to battle for rebounds. There are way too many times we don't go after rebounds. This is the #1 priority in my mind. One and done 95% of the time doesn't cut it.

Good idea with Sellers - uwaluminidaho - he does have good hands and a soft shot.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

Am I the only one that cringes whenever Cooke is on the floor? He looks like a deer in the headlights without a real clue as to what he needs to be doing.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

LawPoke wrote:Am I the only one that cringes whenever Cooke is on the floor? He looks like a deer in the headlights without a real clue as to what he needs to be doing.
I thought Cooke was going to be our tough presence (rebounder & offense) under the basket this year, but it looks like he has no confidence.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Yeah you are right isn't the idea of having a big body is to USE it???? Cooke acts like he's still learning how the game is played, you know what you need to do DO it
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Charles Barkley was 6'6" and one of the best rebounders in history.....his height had nothing to do with rebounding. His strength and aggressiveness were the key to his success. The Pokes big men have neither strength or aggressiveness. And it shows in our lack of rebounding success. This is just one of a myriad of reasons this team will again finish in the bottom of the MWC.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

I would argue that our lack of aggressiveness on the boards is due to our lack of depth in the post. You have to fly to the ball to get rebounds, which sometimes means running people over. We have a grand total of 2 big men that play, so they can't afford to be in foul trouble.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

WYO1016 wrote:I would argue that our lack of aggressiveness on the boards is due to our lack of depth in the post. You have to fly to the ball to get rebounds, which sometimes means running people over. We have a grand total of 2 big men that play, so they can't afford to be in foul trouble.
I wholeheartedly agree with you...which leads us back to my point on Barkley being a lot shorter than most post players....it should be up to the WHOLE team to crash the boards, especially the defensive boards. Since we rarely run, why aren't there 5 guys going to the boards on the defensive end of things? Rebounding is an art form, and it is obvious that Wyoming does not study great rebounders or their techniques. We are relying on pure height, when we should emphasize strength, aggressiveness, and technique.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.