Allen going 3rd overall?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
dapokes
Ranch Hand

pokefanchaz7 wrote:
dapokes wrote:But back on subject...has anyone else thought about how much this publicity if Josh stays, will immediately help the chances of landing some last key recruits?? I can't stop thinking about how easy it's going to be for coaches to pitch Josh as a potential #1 pick to the big wr and te prospect we have left. Even any defensive immediate impact guys.
On the flip side how many could we lose if he isn't coming back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On the contrary, that would make 1st rd QB #2 in 2 years for this coaching staff because of the ground work Vigen and Bohl laid with Wentz. I believe all of this publicity is a good thing either way.
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

How analytical are 17 year old football players?? I guarantee if any of them are paying attention to what's going on in Cowboy FB some of them are "chomping at the bit". I could see Jones being disappointed that Allen may leave, but how likely is it that he will be a starting receiver freshman year anyways?? Our recruitment list will not drop off if Allen leaves. That is a fact.
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

As for the potential recruits....dapokes has a point.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

I wonder if Garrett wouldn't mind cruising back up here if josh declares

W-Y, Until I Die!
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

LaradiseCowboy wrote:Not on this forum, but I called it when I watched Brian Hill's tape when he was first recruited. I knew he would be a productive player in his freshman year! Guess what, he turned out to be the best RB WYO has produced in the history of Wyoming football. Now, I'm not stating Waal has the arm that Allen does (he may never have it); however, he has a pretty damn good arm and is more athletic than Josh Allen. With the improvements at the O and D line I don't think it will make much of a difference if Allen is gone.
OK, I'm calling it and I've never called anything correct. Josh stays another year.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

laxwyo wrote:I wonder if Garrett wouldn't mind cruising back up here if josh declares

I don't think so considering he was "lied to" about playing time or whatever. lol. I don't want someone that isn't willing to beat someone else out or at least try. Garrett seems like he had some of the thinnest skin
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

Poke-proud wrote:
LaradiseCowboy wrote:Not on this forum, but I called it when I watched Brian Hill's tape when he was first recruited. I knew he would be a productive player in his freshman year! Guess what, he turned out to be the best RB WYO has produced in the history of Wyoming football. Now, I'm not stating Waal has the arm that Allen does (he may never have it); however, he has a pretty damn good arm and is more athletic than Josh Allen. With the improvements at the O and D line I don't think it will make much of a difference if Allen is gone.
OK, I'm calling it and I've never called anything correct. Josh stays another year.

If someone pointed a gun to my head and said make a prediction right now...I would say Josh will not be returning for Wyoming next season. I hope I'm wrong, but history doesn't bode well for us. Like I said though, I am not entirely too concerned if he leaves.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

laxwyo wrote:I wonder if Garrett wouldn't mind cruising back up here if josh declares

That ship has sailed...Garrett wanted to be closer to home, and easy pussy. :whistle:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Poke-proud wrote:OK, I'm calling it and I've never called anything correct. Josh stays another year.
Well, there you have it. We are f-word, Josh is leaving. Thanks f-word PP.
Dear Karma,

NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LanderPoke wrote:Man, I just have this weird feeling. I have no evidence whatsoever, but I'm preparing for the worst.
That weird feeling is a common symptom of being a Poke fan. You learn to expect the worst and those expectations are frequently met.
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

These next 10 days are going to be the longest days of my life! :/
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

One thing that might push Josh to come back is how he finished the year. How he finished won't exactly inspire confidence in scouts and GMs. I could definitely see him getting drafted in the later rounds this year (who wouldn't take a low-risk flier on a prospect with a golden arm), but with his undeniable physical tools and a good year next year he could be a first rounder. The $$$ difference between a first rounder and a 4th-5th rounder is pretty substantial.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

NowherePoke wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:Man, I just have this weird feeling. I have no evidence whatsoever, but I'm preparing for the worst.
That weird feeling is a common symptom of being a Poke fan. You learn to expect the worst and those expectations are frequently met.
Well stated NowherePoke, well stated! I was just thinking the same thing...

We have a decent / mediocre season, and here is what shakes out from it:

1. Some dna riflehead NDSU fan tells us that Bohl is going to Minnesota (false)
2. Brian Hill declares
3. Some douche sports writer trying to make a name for himself puts RS SO Josh as the #3 NFL pick
4. We don't have a DC
5. Realignment talk has begun although it hasn't hit full tilt...yet...
Dear Karma,

NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LanderPoke wrote:One thing that might push Josh to come back is how he finished the year. How he finished won't exactly inspire confidence in scouts and GMs. I could definitely see him getting drafted in the later rounds this year (who wouldn't take a low-risk flier on a prospect with a golden arm), but with his undeniable physical tools and a good year next year he could be a first rounder. The $$$ difference between a first rounder and a 4th-5th rounder is pretty substantial.
Agreed.

In many cases, I tend to lean towards saying a player should enter the draft as soon as they have a reasonable indication (this is where Brett Smith failed) that they will be drafted. You can always come back and finish school, but you have limited years of earning power as a professional athlete and there is a lot of risk inherent in playing the sport. One exception though is at QB, particularly a developmental prospect like Josh Allen.

I expected Brian Hill to leave and I probably would have made the same decision in his shoes. For better or worse, RB's are not really developmental prospects. You can either play or you can't. For QB's however, most will require significant investment and development from the franchise and a player like Allen will probably need a couple of years on the bench before being ready to see the field. If you are a first or second round draft pick, than a team has too much invested in you to be impatient with your development. If you are a 5th or 6th rounder then there isn't much to lose if the have an opportunity to draft the next hotshot prospect the next year.

Obviously there are examples of successful QB's that are drafted late, but very few examples of underclassmen QB's that were drafted late and became successful QB's.

I don't think another year at UW was going to make Brian Hill a better RB prospect. I do think another year at UW will make Josh Allen a better QB prospect. He should come back IMO.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:
Well stated NowherePoke, well stated! I was just thinking the same thing...

We have a decent / mediocre season, and here is what shakes out from it:

1. Some dna riflehead NDSU fan tells us that Bohl is going to Minnesota (false)
2. Brian Hill declares
3. Some douche sports writer trying to make a name for himself puts RS SO Josh as the #3 NFL pick
4. We don't have a DC
5. Realignment talk has begun although it hasn't hit full tilt...yet...
Not sure why I thought this when I read your post, but I think Wyoming has serious potential as a program. If we could just get a few consistent winning seasons I could see us turning into a Boise-like program. Whenever we're even a little bit good at any sport the national media seems to love us.

Not to sound loony, but the Steamboat logo has a lot to do with it. It's iconic and instantly recognizable. Steamboat, along with our awesome color scheme, grabs attention. Wyoming has a true western novelty feel that people eat up.
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

NoWhere:

I don't think another year at UW was going to make Brian Hill a better RB prospect. I do think another year at UW will make Josh Allen a better QB prospect. He should come back IMO.[/quote]

My best friend's father is a college scout. He claims that now a days the life of a RB in the NFL can be correctly predicted down to a couple hundred carries. That includes college carries. So, the point you made above, NoWhere, is largely due to this fact. Brian Hill maximized his earning potential by attempting to get paid for his limited amounts of carries left in his RB life. Whereas Josh Allen (and all QBs) doesn't really have that limited number of hits or carries, throws, etc. So a year more in College, gaining experience, polishing his footwork, accuracy, ability to read defenses, etc, is effectively maximizing HIS earning potential. Ya digg?
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote:One thing that might push Josh to come back is how he finished the year. How he finished won't exactly inspire confidence in scouts and GMs. I could definitely see him getting drafted in the later rounds this year (who wouldn't take a low-risk flier on a prospect with a golden arm), but with his undeniable physical tools and a good year next year he could be a first rounder. The $$$ difference between a first rounder and a 4th-5th rounder is pretty substantial.
Josh is being scouted as a developmental QB, with all the tools necessary for success in the NFL, amongst a weak QB class. They will tell him that he is projected to go in the first round, but he won't due to his lack of notoriety and big-game success. Regardless, I think that's enough to push a kid from Firebaugh, CA over the edge and leave Wyoming for the draft.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Funny timing on tweet from Univ of Wyoming.
https://twitter.com/wyo_mbb/status/817445818865172480
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Idk I have a lot of respect for the scouting work Matt Miller puts in. As well as BleacherReport. They are a lot better and more respectable than ESPN. Normally Miller doesn't put non-declared players into mocks. I look at it more of a complimentary add. Shows a lot to our staff that we have and the development of players. But I don't think Josh wants to go out as a Cowboy by that last throw of the bowl game he had. Normally I'd say go, I.e. Matt Barkley. However, all of the reasons why Miller said he's worth that high of a pick are physical traits that he will still have this time next year. Injury or not...he already broke bones in his throwing shoulder and look at his arm and delivery post injury. It's fantastic. If I were him, I'd be sky high confident in the draft pick being there next year and can only help w another year of development and a higher completion percentage.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

LaradiseCowboy wrote:
Poke-proud wrote:

If someone pointed a gun to my head and said make a prediction right now...I would say Josh will not be returning for Wyoming next season. I hope I'm wrong, but history doesn't bode well for us. Like I said though, I am not entirely too concerned if he leaves.
B.S. Stunner. You're not going to sock puppet Wyonation. Keep your goodie two shoes BYU ass on the MWCboard. You, are not welcome here, under any of your aliases.

This guy is a sock puppet and for those of you not familiar with the term, he's a BYU fan pretending to be a Wyoming fan.

Laradise = Stunner/Robe....from the MWCboard.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.