Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

307bball wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:58 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:19 am
bladerunnr wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:52 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:26 pm One last thought.

Even though we think Ike and Maldonado didn’t play their best, Maldonado had a triple double and Ike still had a double double. Pretty amazing when you think your best guys are playing bad when they have those types of games still as a”bad” game.

Think it really came down to how hot SDSU was from 3 in first half.

Oh well, on to UNLV and hope to win there. Won’t be easy.
Maldo shot 6-17 from the field and 1-4 from the foul line. Ike was 4-12 from the field. I give you that stat line and nothing else and the odds of us winning are almost nonexistent.
Yeah I agree with you. My point was Ike getting a double double and Maldo getting a triple double, no one would have thought either of those things happened last night the way the game went. Was kind of a strange game in regards to individual stats. Both guys missed a lot of easy layups and shots they usually make. Maybe they had tired legs.
I hope it was not tire legs because that will only get worse at UNLV on short rest. It looked like SDSU's length got to us. As I go through that game...it was very winnable outside of our defense being bad. Bradley went off but our defense could have been better. You kind of want it to be a rock fight when you play them....you just can't allow them shoot such a high percentage.
Wyoming actually played very good defense for the most part. San Diego St. was making 3’s from deep with hands in their face. That’s the only reason they won honestly. They normally shoot 35% from 3. They were 10-14 in the first half for 71%. That won’t happen again.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:25 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:07 pm This is, at best, an early-80's Brandenburg team.
Not even close. Bill Garnett was absolutely dominant and the 4th pick in the NBA draft. We had Charles Bradley - another 1st round pick, and Mike Jackson. That team went 14-2 in a conference with Utah, BYu, and UTEP - which was a basketball powerhouse back in the day. We barely lost to Georgetown in the tournament - who went all the way to the final game.

Ike is a very good player - but he isn't dominant. Teams with size give him trouble. Jeffries is the only dependable outside shooter on the team. We miss Marcus Williams. He gave us quickness and ball handling and the ability to penetrate that we just don't have in our guards. Maldo does a lot of great things, but he still makes poor decisions with the ball that you don't see elite guards make.
We have a nice team - but I doubt we're a tournament team this year. We need a few more pieces to the puzzle and we'll be there.
Missing so Marble and Foster. They played real well in the MWC tournament.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:56 pm
307bball wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:58 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:19 am
bladerunnr wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:52 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:26 pm One last thought.

Even though we think Ike and Maldonado didn’t play their best, Maldonado had a triple double and Ike still had a double double. Pretty amazing when you think your best guys are playing bad when they have those types of games still as a”bad” game.

Think it really came down to how hot SDSU was from 3 in first half.

Oh well, on to UNLV and hope to win there. Won’t be easy.
Maldo shot 6-17 from the field and 1-4 from the foul line. Ike was 4-12 from the field. I give you that stat line and nothing else and the odds of us winning are almost nonexistent.
Yeah I agree with you. My point was Ike getting a double double and Maldo getting a triple double, no one would have thought either of those things happened last night the way the game went. Was kind of a strange game in regards to individual stats. Both guys missed a lot of easy layups and shots they usually make. Maybe they had tired legs.
I hope it was not tire legs because that will only get worse at UNLV on short rest. It looked like SDSU's length got to us. As I go through that game...it was very winnable outside of our defense being bad. Bradley went off but our defense could have been better. You kind of want it to be a rock fight when you play them....you just can't allow them shoot such a high percentage.
Wyoming actually played very good defense for the most part. San Diego St. was making 3’s from deep with hands in their face. That’s the only reason they won honestly. They normally shoot 35% from 3. They were 10-14 in the first half for 71%. That won’t happen again.
Yeah..props to the aztecs for the deep shooting...but that is not the deal breaker for me. I agree that the heat check stuff they were pulling would be hard to stop and hard to replicate. Maybe it's not so much the defense as it is the rebounds we gave up. I'm a bit old school so If we are shooting cold or they are shooting hot ... I feel like you have to fall back on denfense and rebounding. The rebounding was not there. Also, I still think the defense could improve...multiple late rotations gave easier threes that were not the deep heat check threes. That was a much closer game than the first half stats would have you believe. A couple less offensive rebounds and a couple more contested threes we might have the victory.