Is it really a better system?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Slow Hand wrote:I could be wrong here but I don't think anyone is calling for Bohls job here. Just the opposite I think everyone is on board with him and willing to give him the time he needs to be successful. I just wanted a discussion about the two different offensive philosophies. It is okay to have a different philosophy. I respect Bohl and his record. Obviously the guy knows how to get it done at a lower level. All I am after is a meaningful dialog about the spread offense vs the Pro Style. It is apparent that they both work it the right situations. This is what makes college football such a fantastic and passionate sport. We all think we have it figured out. LOL So let me make this very clear for everyone on this board. I LIKE BOHL, I THINK HE IS A GREAT COACH AND A EVEN BETTER HUMAN BEING, AND I THINK HE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL IN WYOMING. I am just a "spread" guy and I think it is a better fit for a mid-level talent like UW.

I think it is a very interesting thread myself. I believe you can be successful (or not) in both scenarios. My thoughts would be the following:

1. Comparing 2014 to 2013 - As noted earlier, what was a bigger contributor to our offensive decline year over year: QB or scheme? I like Colby and really appreciate his effort, but his lack of mobility impacts what Bohl/Vigen can install/run offensively (Compare Jensen's productivity to Colby's on the ground for example) but it also means that if DC's system was still installed that the productivity would be seriously curtailed because the defense would not have to respect the QB on the read option. Obviously it is only speculation, but I believe that this year's team/system/coaches with Brett Smith would be significantly more productive than last year's team/system/coaches with Colby Kirkegaard.

2. Recruiting - Maybe our solution is to go against the grain. We will likely never recruit at a really high level and any success we achieve will be based on evaluation and player development. However, maybe we have a better shot at recruiting TE's, FB's, RB's, OL and Pro-Style QB's in a world where the majority of teams are running spread attacks. The counter to that would be to argue that more HS teams are running the spread too and of course the ubiquity of 7 on 7.

I don't know overall. I would say that I am more confident in Bohl's overall approach to building the program even if I am not confident that the schematic choice is the best way to go. I think over time we will be a bigger, stronger, more disciplined football team and I like our chances in either system better with that type of baseline.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote:I don't know overall. I would say that I am more confident in Bohl's overall approach to building the program even if I am not confident that the schematic choice is the best way to go. I think over time we will be a bigger, stronger, more disciplined football team and I like our chances in either system better with that type of baseline.
Well stated
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WYOBISONMAN
Ranch Hand

Bohl is having to build a program from the ground up in Laramie. Things have been so bad for so long that there is not much there. I would be that by Bohl's 4th year the Poke will be one of the top 3 in the conference. But, it is going to take time. This year is a lost season because he is basically playing DC's recruits and compound that with the level of injuries that the Cowboys sustained and it is probably fortunate that there were not more losses.

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 135 times

WYOBISONMAN wrote:Bohl is having to build a program from the ground up in Laramie. Things have been so bad for so long that there is not much there.
:lol: Not saying you are wrong, but I'm pretty much sick of this statement. We say the same thing every 4 years or so.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

[Draw your own conclusions if you want and feel free to add other variables but as of right now I would say that we are worse than we were last year.]

Here is my conclusion, after assessing game in and game out. We were virtually "in" about every game except for the blowout against Mich State, Oregon, and Boise. We had a 4th string QB, running the gig. Our D was decimated, could that be because we drew some bad luck or is it because they rallied to the ball and attempted to play Cowboy Tough football? Statistics can't cover that analysis, so I'll stick to the latter logic. We were exactly two plays away from making a potential bowl game. Missed FG against SJSU, and a 1st and goal against NM where we didn't score in 4 attempts from the 5. Summarily, I don't care whose kids were playing or the scheme we decide to run. I like the direction of the program outside of a couple of those games, especially Boise. The 2nd year phenomena of vastly improved performance may be in our favor looking at DC's former circumstance and with what happened at CSU in the previous year. I'm betting we're a better club next year, and Coffman has the experience to saddle the Cowboys Pro Style O, imo. Another year with Duval having these kids learn about WarDaddy mentality and we may be dismissing all of your Spread Concept theories as irrelevant next season, this time.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
WYOBISONMAN wrote:Bohl is having to build a program from the ground up in Laramie. Things have been so bad for so long that there is not much there.
:lol: Not saying you are wrong, but I'm pretty much sick of this statement. We say the same thing every 4 years or so.
Lol...Unfortunately.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.