Asstecs

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

This team still consistently has some dumb mistakes, bad turnovers, and bad choices at key times in every game. To really reach the top level of the mountain west we needed to improve on these through the year. But the fact that we still have 5 to 8 bad turnovers from just messy passes every game is finally catching up to us at the end of the season. Too many empty possesions at really key times.

One today that really stands out was I think with 3 or less minutes left we finally got an empty possesion by SDSU down 3 at the time and maldo immediately turned it over and gave it right back to them on their own end of the floor. I think we ended up fouling them and they made 1 if 2 free throws but instead of closing the gap to 1 point or a tie we were down by 4 due to a dumb messy turnover with little time left in the game. At this point in the year I had hoped we would have cleaned those up and it is definitely costing us now
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times

Due to the fact that San Diego St plays one less game than us, if we win our last two games and Boise St can beat CSU Saturday, Wyoming would still get 2nd place. We luck out that Aztecs play one less game otherwise they would have the tie breaker over us for beating us.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

Unreal how lucky the Aztecs got on their threes.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:07 pm This is, at best, an early-80's Brandenburg team.
Not even close. Bill Garnett was absolutely dominant and the 4th pick in the NBA draft. We had Charles Bradley - another 1st round pick, and Mike Jackson. That team went 14-2 in a conference with Utah, BYu, and UTEP - which was a basketball powerhouse back in the day. We barely lost to Georgetown in the tournament - who went all the way to the final game.

Ike is a very good player - but he isn't dominant. Teams with size give him trouble. Jeffries is the only dependable outside shooter on the team. We miss Marcus Williams. He gave us quickness and ball handling and the ability to penetrate that we just don't have in our guards. Maldo does a lot of great things, but he still makes poor decisions with the ball that you don't see elite guards make.
We have a nice team - but I doubt we're a tournament team this year. We need a few more pieces to the puzzle and we'll be there.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:25 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:07 pm This is, at best, an early-80's Brandenburg team.
Not even close. Bill Garnett was absolutely dominant and the 4th pick in the NBA draft. We had Charles Bradley - another 1st round pick, and Mike Jackson. That team went 14-2 in a conference with Utah, BYu, and UTEP - which was a basketball powerhouse back in the day. We barely lost to Georgetown in the tournament - who went all the way to the final game.

Ike is a very good player - but he isn't dominant. Teams with size give him trouble. Jeffries is the only dependable outside shooter on the team. We miss Marcus Williams. He gave us quickness and ball handling and the ability to penetrate that we just don't have in our guards. Maldo does a lot of great things, but he still makes poor decisions with the ball that you don't see elite guards make.
We have a nice team - but I doubt we're a tournament team this year. We need a few more pieces to the puzzle and we'll be there.
Wanna bet? If we get to the NCAA, we'll be one and done. We don't have the bench like we did with Dembo.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

MN_Poke wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:00 pm Have the non calls against Ike been as bad as it sounds?
Yes. They absolutely mailed us all game. Such a poop way to play basketball
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:30 pm

Wanna bet? If we get to the NCAA, we'll be one and done. We don't have the bench like we did with Dembo.
Did you even read my post? This team is no where near as good as the early 80's team. And Dembo was on the 86 and 87 teams, not the early 80's teams.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 334 times
Been liked: 138 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:43 pm
MN_Poke wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:00 pm Have the non calls against Ike been as bad as it sounds?
Ike was absolutely mauled. They were holding him, his arms. Horrible officiating, but hey it’s the MW what do we expect.

It was horrible. Ike was getting mauled. They were holding him. MW officials just absolutely suck.

Yes. They absolutely mailed us all game. Such a Sh#t way to play basketball
Last edited by Itsux2beaewe on Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

I don’t think we miss Marcus Williams that much. He hasn’t even been that good at Texas A&M. I think we would actually have a worse record this year with him. Just my opinion of course. Which doesn’t mean much lol.

Those early 80’s teams were good. I don’t think this team stacks up to most of the 80’s teams.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

I don’t think he was mauled that bad honestly. Ike missed some easy layups and so did Maldonado.

They could have called more fouls on Wyoming also if they wanted to. They let both teams play for the most part which is what would happen in the NCAA tourney if we even get there.

Problem is that we have lost 3 of our last 4 games now. If we drop the one at UNLV that will be 4 out of 5. Not a good look at all if you want to make the NCAA tourney.

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 249 times

Back from the game - A couple thoughts and I am sure that I am just repeating a lot:

1) This Wyoming team is good but did not look like a tourney team tonight. UNLV is going to be a big battle and at this point I'd probably take UNLV.

2) Ball handling was really sloppy tonight. I don't know the answer but Reynolds seems to be a better option to bring the ball up the court.

3) SDSU shot lights out in the first half and we never recovered. The defense wasn't bad, SDSU just made the shots.

4) Ike did not look like Ike tonight. He was flustered all game and missed some easy ones. I actually felt like the team had more rhythm when Ike was on the bench and Thompson was in because the inside was cleared out and this gave Maldo the ability to drive to the hoop.

5) Right now this looks like a team destined for the NIT. Prove me wrong Pokes and go on a run!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 249 times

I didn't think so. It was physical on both ends similarly to tourney play and was called pretty consistently. Early on, Ike couldn't get the ball in deep. Later on when Ike got the ball in deep, he just missed some shots that have to be made.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

One last thought.

Even though we think Ike and Maldonado didn’t play their best, Maldonado had a triple double and Ike still had a double double. Pretty amazing when you think your best guys are playing bad when they have those types of games still as a”bad” game.

Think it really came down to how hot SDSU was from 3 in first half.

Oh well, on to UNLV and hope to win there. Won’t be easy.

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Reynolds needs to be our pg bringing up court, i love Maldo but teams have figgered us out.. Ike needs a stronger finish to the hoop, explosiveness... JO is my dark horse and i wish he was given the reins more often to create and do explosive things as well. X seems lost in almost everything and Drake is more of a decoy anymore it seems. This WASN'T a bad loss, but great teams DO NOT lose at home. We are a good team seeming to learn things and we're Never out of a game, but @UNLV is huge b4 tourney try to steal one from them at T&M just might be what doctor ordered. And absolutely NO excuses against a pesky Fresno St at Home.... cmon crowd, they need as many as possible to fill the "Dome of Doom", give our boys confidence going into tourney and such....no let downs mo excuses. Get er done make us even moreso proud as this has been a very fun team to watch grow, learn and prosper...i hope for a 3 seed at tournament!!!

Rebels are next
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

stymeman wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:32 pm Reynolds needs to be our pg bringing up court, i love Maldo but teams have figgered us out.. Ike needs a stronger finish to the hoop, explosiveness... JO is my dark horse and i wish he was given the reins more often to create and do explosive things as well. X seems lost in almost everything and Drake is more of a decoy anymore it seems. This WASN'T a bad loss, but great teams DO NOT lose at home. We are a good team seeming to learn things and we're Never out of a game, but @UNLV is huge b4 tourney try to steal one from them at T&M just might be what doctor ordered. And absolutely NO excuses against a pesky Fresno St at Home.... cmon crowd, they need as many as possible to fill the "Dome of Doom", give our boys confidence going into tourney and such....no let downs mo excuses. Get er done make us even moreso proud as this has been a very fun team to watch grow, learn and prosper...i hope for a 3 seed at tournament!!!

Rebels are next
1000% this.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:26 pm One last thought.

Even though we think Ike and Maldonado didn’t play their best, Maldonado had a triple double and Ike still had a double double. Pretty amazing when you think your best guys are playing bad when they have those types of games still as a”bad” game.

Maldo shot 6-17 from the field and 1-4 from the foul line. Ike was 4-12 from the field. I give you that stat line and nothing else and the odds of us winning are almost nonexistent.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:52 am

Maldo shot 6-17 from the field and 1-4 from the foul line. Ike was 4-12 from the field. I give you that stat line and nothing else and the odds of us winning are almost nonexistent.
The play where Maldo drove the lane and went up for a jam and threw the ball in the fourth row was killer. No one touched him, he just messed up the dunk. Just make the damn layup. We were down 2 or 3 at the time. Maldo shoots like 27% on dunk attempts in his career. Why he ever tries dunks in traffic is beyond me
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

stymeman wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:32 pm JO is my dark horse and i wish he was given the reins more often to create and do explosive things as well. X seems lost in almost everything and Drake is more of a decoy anymore it seems. This WASN'T a bad loss, but great teams DO NOT lose at home. We are a good team seeming to learn things and we're Never out of a game, but @UNLV is huge b4 tourney try to steal one from them at T&M just mi
Rebels are next
JO played great. Jeffries played great. Wenzel played well and should have gotten more minutes. Linder? Linder? X was invisible yet again. So our three best players coming into the season played poorly on offense and we almost won. ugh. We can't seem to put it all together anymore. This has been a frustrating last two weeks.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Yeah I agree with you. My point was Ike getting a double double and Maldo getting a triple double, no one would have thought either of those things happened last night the way the game went. Was kind of a strange game in regards to individual stats. Both guys missed a lot of easy layups and shots they usually make. Maybe they had tired legs.

307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:19 am

Yeah I agree with you. My point was Ike getting a double double and Maldo getting a triple double, no one would have thought either of those things happened last night the way the game went. Was kind of a strange game in regards to individual stats. Both guys missed a lot of easy layups and shots they usually make. Maybe they had tired legs.
I hope it was not tire legs because that will only get worse at UNLV on short rest. It looked like SDSU's length got to us. As I go through that game...it was very winnable outside of our defense being bad. Bradley went off but our defense could have been better. You kind of want it to be a rock fight when you play them....you just can't allow them shoot such a high percentage.