Rooting for NDSU to win -- or lose tomorrow?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Hayduke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Bohl is the real f-word' deal as a recruiter. I have no problem admitting it: This NDSU team has better talent than this current Wyoming team.
I would say only 3-4 players on each side of the ball in Wyoming are better players but as a team NDSU is leaps and bounds above us right now.

I'm not sure it's the talent at the Fargo school as much as it is the coaching. I guess Bohl will prove that right or wrong in spring practice and 2014.
New fan here. Maybe is the school colors (my Division II alma mater's school colors are brown and vegas gold)

If you want a baseline for the type of jump your program can make, think of what Tim Miles did for Colorado State. That's how highly I think of Coach Bohl. May not have the most talented teams, but they will be disciplined on both sides of the ball.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

We are a pretty spread happy conference - I don't think they will probably bring the 4-3 Tampa 2 unless they are playing a run heavy team or a pistol team.

Should be interesting what they do.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

WyoBrandX wrote:We are a pretty spread happy conference - I don't think they will probably bring the 4-3 Tampa 2 unless they are playing a run heavy team or a pistol team.

So Nevada, Air Force, SDSU, the sheep, and UNM?
Hayduke
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:
Hayduke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Bohl is the real f-word' deal as a recruiter. I have no problem admitting it: This NDSU team has better talent than this current Wyoming team.
I would say only 3-4 players on each side of the ball in Wyoming are better players but as a team NDSU is leaps and bounds above us right now.

I'm not sure it's the talent at the Fargo school as much as it is the coaching. I guess Bohl will prove that right or wrong in spring practice and 2014.
New fan here. Maybe is the school colors (my Division II alma mater's school colors are brown and vegas gold)

If you want a baseline for the type of jump your program can make, think of what Tim Miles did for Colorado State. That's how highly I think of Coach Bohl. May not have the most talented teams, but they will be disciplined on both sides of the ball.

Kind of funny you mention Tim Miles. Came from the Fargo school to CSU then off to Nebraska. Yeah, he did a lot of good things for CSU. I think Bohl will bring discipline and leadership to the program. That will be the biggest asset this coming year. Recruiting better players will follow.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote:
WyoBrandX wrote:We are a pretty spread happy conference - I don't think they will probably bring the 4-3 Tampa 2 unless they are playing a run heavy team or a pistol team.

So Nevada, Air Force, SDSU, the sheep, and UNM?
From what I've read, forget AFA and UNM. There are better ways to stop the triple option than the 4-3 Tampa 2. I bet you might see it against Nevada, SDSU, and the sheeplets.

It isn't idea to stop a spread attack either. Boise might be a good candidate.

However, just looking at the discipline of his defense - how may yards has coastal carolina ran? They are forcing them to throw. I think if they are recruiting good athletes and teaching this play recognition it won't matter what they run.

On a side note, I think its time for a trip to myrtle beach.
JohnnySunshine
Buckaroo

Just think, NDSU without it's best defensive player, and a MLB at that.
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

I wouldn't necessarily say the talent is better but they are coached better.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

ProudWYOAlum wrote:
Gotta remember the team they are pushing around is an FCS team that got smacked by South Carolina 70-10.

But, still, at the FCS level, this Fargo team may be the best ever. I wouldn't put them in a BCS bowl game though...
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Hayduke wrote:
ProudWYOAlum wrote:
Gotta remember the team they are pushing around is an FCS team that got smacked by South Carolina 70-10.

But, still, at the FCS level, this Fargo team may be the best ever. I wouldn't put them in a BCS bowl game though...

Not sure I agree they beat CSU this year and CSU is bowling so ya I would say this NDUS team could beat a number of bowl teams, Maybe not a BCS bowl team but a lot of bowl teams would be matched or beat by this team.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

The beat the sheep last year. This year they beat K-State.
lakesbison
Cowpoke

And there's your DAGGER. 41-14. NDSU TRENDING on twitter all afternoon

.loving the espn cred. Wyoming getting mentions too
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote:
Hayduke wrote:
ProudWYOAlum wrote:

Not sure I agree they beat CSU this year and CSU is bowling so ya I would say this NDUS team could beat a number of bowl teams, Maybe not a BCS bowl team but a lot of bowl teams would be matched or beat by this team.
I think they would probably take down CSU this year. The depth issues they have being an FCS team makes it much tougher to predict how things would line up.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:The beat the sheep last year. This year they beat K-State.
Much more impressive win over K-State that CSU in their first game with Coach Mac.

I think they could compete with some lesser bowl teams, but not the big dogs. It's still exciting to bring Bohl here to see what he can do with better talent in the FBS.
Frank Zappa
bloodmakesthegrasgro
Buckaroo

Hayduke wrote:
Much more impressive win over K-State that CSU in their first game with Coach Mac.

I think they could compete with some lesser bowl teams, but not the big dogs. It's still exciting to bring Bohl here to see what he can do with better talent in the FBS.

Actually it was Coach Mac's second game. They beat Colorado the first game.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

bloodmakesthegrasgro wrote:
Hayduke wrote:

Correct!

I was wrong.

It does , after all, take a man to admit when they are wrong. ;)
Frank Zappa
bloodmakesthegrasgro
Buckaroo

Hayduke wrote:
Hayduke wrote:

Correct!

I was wrong.

Not THAT bad, you were just mistaken. ;)
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Hayduke wrote:
Hayduke wrote:

Correct!

I was wrong.

Not THAT bad, you were just mistaken. ;)

Okay, I'll forgive myself.
Frank Zappa
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
lakesbison wrote:Wish you had this defense??? At game...NDSU is swarming

Let NDSU into the mountain west!!!
You don't have the money, resources, and pretty sure you don't have the required number of sports either.
NDSU is already D-1. They just do not give out as many football scholarships and they have a playoff system to qualify for. I am not sure the MWC has an elevated requirement for # of sports because we do not clear the minimum for D-1 by much at UW.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

WyoExpat wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
lakesbison wrote:Wish you had this defense??? At game...NDSU is swarming

Let NDSU into the mountain west!!!
You don't have the money, resources, and pretty sure you don't have the required number of sports either.
NDSU is already D-1. They just do not give out as many football scholarships and they have a playoff system to qualify for. I am not sure the MWC has an elevated requirement for # of sports because we do not clear the minimum for D-1 by much at UW.
FBS has higher standards than FCS that go beyond scholarship count for football. Like the number of scholarship sports. Its FBS that has the requirement for number of sports.

Plus, they were only able to pay their all time winningest coach $400,000 a year after 2 consecutive national titles. Wyoming ponied up over $1 million (that includes incentives, I know, but stil).