The War was Top 15 Loudest Last Week

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

There are over 4 million people within a 150 mile radius of Laramie, a radius which also has the highest concentration of fans and alumni (as much as we hate Colorado, a F***TON of our alumni, fans, and expats/former residents live there).

By contrast, there are 1.5 million people within a 150 mile radius of Pullman, Washington....with the vast majority of their alumni base living in the Seattle area (almost 300 miles, 4.5 hours away). Their kick times are almost always later than ours (sometimes significantly so), and tickets are generally comparable if not more expensive. The only leg they have up on us is their base enrollment (about double).

Wazzu routinely pulls 30-35k. In case you wanna point to their P5 conference mates being the draw...they pulled almost 24k just for Northern freaking Colorado.

I can allow for some variance, but pulling 20k for a huge conference matchup against a ranked team with cheap tickets, a decent kick time, perfect weather, and a championship-contending team is absolutely sad and anything else is just grasping at straws for excuses.

Again, we've done pretty well compared to our history the last several years, with plenty of attendance records being broken...but that doesn't mean there isn't more work to be done and it doesn't mean we should settle. We should be pulling even higher, especially considering we're one of the more nationally popular teams in the MWC and we have great TV ratings.

We can't sit here and b**** about mediocrity with the product on the field, and not hold ourselves to the same standard.

This could very well be the best Wyoming team in literal decades. I'm not putting up with excuses for 20k butts in the seats for one of the biggest games of the year with absolutely perfect circumstances.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 135 times

:agree:

You either have a claim to the front range as is the often cited reasoning for tv value or you don't as is often the case when making excused for lack of attendance.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:31 am There are over 4 million people within a 150 mile radius of Laramie, a radius which also has the highest concentration of fans and alumni (as much as we hate Colorado, a F***TON of our alumni, fans, and expats/former residents live there).

By contrast, there are 1.5 million people within a 150 mile radius of Pullman, Washington....with the vast majority of their alumni base living in the Seattle area (almost 300 miles, 4.5 hours away). Their kick times are almost always later than ours (sometimes significantly so), and tickets are generally comparable if not more expensive. The only leg they have up on us is their base enrollment (about double).

Wazzu routinely pulls 30-35k. In case you wanna point to their P5 conference mates being the draw...they pulled almost 24k just for Northern freaking Colorado.

I can allow for some variance, but pulling 20k for a huge conference matchup against a ranked team with cheap tickets, a decent kick time, perfect weather, and a championship-contending team is absolutely sad and anything else is just grasping at straws for excuses.

Again, we've done pretty well compared to our history the last several years, with plenty of attendance records being broken...but that doesn't mean there isn't more work to be done and it doesn't mean we should settle. We should be pulling even higher, especially considering we're one of the more nationally popular teams in the MWC and we have great TV ratings.

We can't sit here and b**** about mediocrity with the product on the field, and not hold ourselves to the same standard.

This could very well be the best Wyoming team in literal decades. I'm not putting up with excuses for 20k butts in the seats for one of the biggest games of the year with absolutely perfect circumstances.
Bet you an attendance record will be set this year. And what do you consider a "decent" kick time? A decent Kick time is 2:00 or earlier.

And Washington state has played in the PAC for decades and have a top 15 team, so that's not really a great comp like you think it is. Let's see Washington State's numbers after a few years in the MWC
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:05 pm
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:31 am There are over 4 million people within a 150 mile radius of Laramie, a radius which also has the highest concentration of fans and alumni (as much as we hate Colorado, a F***TON of our alumni, fans, and expats/former residents live there).

Bet you an attendance record will be set this year. And what do you consider a "decent" kick time? A decent Kick time is 2:00 or earlier.

And Washington state has played in the PAC for decades and have a top 15 team, so that's not really a great comp like you think it is. Let's see Washington State's numbers after a few years in the MWC
No football program "deserve's" any fans....talk down to Wyoming people about how they "should" show up.....see how far that gets anybody.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:43 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:05 pm

No football program "deserve's" any fans....talk down to Wyoming people about how they "should" show up.....see how far that gets anybody.
I think the point is don't b I t c h about a lack of championships when fans don't bother to show when a championship is on the line. bsu last year?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:07 pm

I think the point is don't b I t c h about a lack of championships when fans don't bother to show when a championship is on the line. bsu last year?
Yeah...I get that. I just hate the entitled fan talk...both directions.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

Putting things into perspective...let's just assume most "fans" of college teams will travel a max of 1 hour each way, to attend live, in good weather.

Which poses the question...

How many people, (not just true fans), live within 1 hour from Laramie?

Now, compare the number you came up with, to all other college teams in the FBS. What does that tell you?

Unless you see Laramie & Cheyenne grow to a combined population of say, 250,000, it is quite unfair to compare & bitch.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:56 pm Putting things into perspective...let's just assume most "fans" of college teams will travel a max of 1 hour each way, to attend live, in good weather.

Now, compare the number you came up with, to all other college teams in the FBS. What does that tell you?

Unless you see Laramie & Cheyenne grow to a combined population of say, 250,000, it is quite unfair to compare & bitch.
Why only 1 hour? I'd bet most western stadiums are filled with people more than 1 hour away. The point above about the front range is a good one unless of course we really don't have a fanbase on the front range.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:06 pm
McPeachy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:56 pm Putting things into perspective...let's just assume most "fans" of college teams will travel a max of 1 hour each way, to attend live, in good weather.

Why only 1 hour? I'd bet most western stadiums are filled with people more than 1 hour away. The point above about the front range is a good one unless of course we really don't have a fanbase on the front range.
Look at the CJC numbers. There are a quite a few, but dam the river 23 is exaggerating our presence in Colorado. And a huge portion of the front range population is brand new transplants with allegiances to other states/universities not named Wyoming
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

an hour in wyoming time is 82 miles. we're talking much shorter distances in the urban areas.

I guess it depends. I'd wager that Alabama has tons of fans from all over the state. Much different when you get to colleges that are only associated with a single urban area. Some school like memphis probably doesn't have much reach beyond the city whereas people probably travel for Tenn. But Knoxville has 190K and the metro area has 879K. 1/9 of metro area to fill 100k stadium is easier to get into a stadium than 1/20th of a gigantic sized state to fill 30K stadium
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:05 pm

an hour in wyoming time is 82 miles. we're talking much shorter distances in the urban areas.

I guess it depends. I'd wager that Alabama has tons of fans from all over the state. Much different when you get to colleges that are only associated with a single urban area. Some school like memphis probably doesn't have much reach beyond the city whereas people probably travel for Tenn. But Knoxville has 190K and the metro area has 879K. 1/9 of metro area to fill 100k stadium is easier to get into a stadium than 1/20th of a gigantic sized state to fill 30K stadium
I understand but the front range point is still valid. To get 25k it's about 0.5% of the population within a few hours of Laramie.

Maybe the front range fanbase is a myth?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:38 pm
laxwyo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:05 pm

I understand but the front range point is still valid. To get 25k it's about 0.5% of the population within a few hours of Laramie.

IIRC the CJC numbers have the whole state of Colorado as fourth behind Albany County, Laramie County and Natrona county. So out of millions they don’t even have as many as Natrona County which is further away. There are a lot (and they sure are appreciated) , but it’s not the majority or anything remotely like that. Our fan base is indeed primarily in Eastern Wyoming
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:04 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:38 pm

IIRC the CJC numbers have the whole state of Colorado as fourth behind Albany County, Laramie County and Natrona county. So out of millions they don’t even have as many as Natrona County which is further away. There are a lot (and they sure are appreciated) , but it’s not the majority or anything remotely like that. Our fan base is indeed primarily in Eastern Wyoming
Basically said what I was going to say. Who cares about the urban center in fort fart if it’s not even as big as our county numbers. It’d be a way different story if we had gigantic numbers in Colorado. Basically front range is a nice small Wyoming fan base that happens to reside in Colorado.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:03 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:04 pm

Basically said what I was going to say. Who cares about the urban center in fort fart if it’s not even as big as our county numbers. It’d be a way different story if we had gigantic numbers in Colorado. Basically front range is a nice small Wyoming fan base that happens to reside in Colorado.
That, I can buy. There basically is a very small front range fanbase and our TV market is mostly restricted to WY.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:05 pm And Washington state has played in the PAC for decades and have a top 15 team, so that's not really a great comp like you think it is. Let's see Washington State's numbers after a few years in the MWC
35,000 people turned out in Boone, NC to watch a mediocre App State (who went 6-6 last year and whose coach everyone wants fired) get beaten by a bad Coastal Carolina team in a "late" TUESDAY NIGHT SBC game.

I can do this all day long.

I don't want to hear the excuses anymore.

As far as a "decent kick time" being 2 P.M. or earlier, that's absolutely insane and reeks of "old man wants to be in bed by 9 P.M." energy. I can understand b****ing about the late kickoffs (8 P.M. and later), but literally complaining about a 5-6 P.M. evening kickoff is absurd as sh** and makes me question how invested you actually are as a college football fan. People like you that would ban CFB under the lights if they could are ridiculous.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

Literally no one has stated that a program simply "deserves" or is "entitled" to fans as a rule of thumb. Stop strawmanning.

The issue at hand is that an awful lot of fans make an awful lot of demands of the program, staff, and players....and are awful critical of the program...when they can't even be arsed to show up for one of the biggest games of the year (under almost perfect circumstances, no less) or support the program in any way that would actually help the program make those demands happen.

Another point is being made that Wyoming fans sure like like to boast, but we collectively don't back it up. We talk about what a tough, hardy people we are and how much we love our Cowboys...but then we have people literally bitch about everything under the sun...kick times any time after 2 P.M., temperatures under 50°F, a ticket price over $30, a round trip drive time of over an hour or two....jesus christ. For a tough, hardy bunch, we sure do seem to need everything to be absolutely f***ing perfect in order to fill our stadium beyond 65% capacity.

And no; I'm not joking or being hyperbolic. There were tickets around $25 for the Fresno State game and there were still people bitching on FB about ticket prices. God help these people if they were in SEC territory, lmao.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:21 am
Literally no one has stated that a program simply "deserves" or is "entitled" to fans as a rule of thumb. Stop strawmanning.

The issue at hand is that an awful lot of fans make an awful lot of demands of the program, staff, and players....and are awful critical of the program...when they can't even be arsed to show up for one of the biggest games of the year (under almost perfect circumstances, no less) or support the program in any way that would actually help the program make those demands happen.

Another point is being made that Wyoming fans sure like like to boast, but we collectively don't back it up. We talk about what a tough, hardy people we are and how much we love our Cowboys...but then we have people literally bitch about everything under the sun...kick times any time after 2 P.M., temperatures under 50°F, a ticket price over $30, a round trip drive time of over an hour or two....jesus christ. For a tough, hardy bunch, we sure do seem to need everything to be absolutely f***ing perfect in order to fill our stadium beyond 65% capacity.

And no; I'm not joking or being hyperbolic. There were tickets around $25 for the Fresno State game and there were still people bitching on FB about ticket prices. God help these people if they were in SEC territory, lmao.
I'm sorry if you took my comment to be directed at you stating that a program "deserves" fan support. I'm mostly looking at your claims about similar programs (Washington State) and assuming you are claiming that it's reasonable to expect to draw about that in home attendance.

I don't agree with the comparison though...Wyoming has no claim to anybody in the colorado front range except for alumni. Wyoming residents, in general, are fans of the University though....that number is the base number and it doesn't rely on being an alumni. it is meaningless that there are millions of people in the front range.

I guess I'm taking issue with language that is judgemental towards fans choice to attend or not attend...It's dumb when coaches do it and it's dumb when fans do it to each other. Your claim that "We can't sit here and b**** about mediocrity with the product on the field, and not hold ourselves to the same standard." in relation to the choice to attend or not is not true. I can and did complain about the pathetic basketball product during the Heath Schroyer years and the football product during the last two Glenn years while not attending much.

I would like to see actual demographic statistics on CFB programs natural fanbases that take into account alumni numbers, population centers and so forth....I would bet there would be outliers and we would be on the happy side of that from a standpoint of natural fanbase utilization (Just made that term up). The front range is not our natural fan base...it's the state of Wyoming and alumni and that is a tiny number. Schools like Washington State probably outperform their natural fanbase as well but whatever that number is ... I bet it's higher than Wyoming.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:57 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:05 pm And Washington state has played in the PAC for decades and have a top 15 team, so that's not really a great comp like you think it is. Let's see Washington State's numbers after a few years in the MWC
35,000 people turned out in Boone, NC to watch a mediocre App State (who went 6-6 last year and whose coach everyone wants fired) get beaten by a bad Coastal Carolina team in a "late" TUESDAY NIGHT SBC game.

I can do this all day long.

I don't want to hear the excuses anymore.

As far as a "decent kick time" being 2 P.M. or earlier, that's absolutely insane and reeks of "old man wants to be in bed by 9 P.M." energy. I can understand b****ing about the late kickoffs (8 P.M. and later), but literally complaining about a 5-6 P.M. evening kickoff is absurd as sh** and makes me question how invested you actually are as a college football fan. People like you that would ban CFB under the lights if they could are ridiculous.
Eastern time zone. App state is in a heavily populated area of the world. There are 11+ million people within 150 miles of Boone, NC and 6.5 million within 100 miles. Plus their school is much larger and have a larger fan base, more students, have had real success and things to cheer about in recent memory, etc.. Don't know how to make you understand, but there's not really a good comp for Wyoming, but keep trying.

LMAO, think I've missed one home football game in the last 8 years, but whatever. You should team up with Pokesarepeopletoo and question people's fanhood more. Makes you look super cool.

"old man.. energy". lol , you are too much. I'm guessing you don't have much of a life and probably don't have a family or children.. or worry ever worry about hitting big game with your vehicle on the way home.You don't seem to understand there are common sense reasons people miss games, not even mentioning cost of hotels.