This rumor REALLY concerns me

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

They absolutely would. This whole episode is laying bare the naked money grab that is college athletics. There are no cherished traditions, no historic rivalries, no high minded claims amateur student athletics that won't be sacrificed to raw dollars in the end. No program, athletic director, or conference can swim against that current. Whatever price you have to pay to become AQ (or whatever the future version of AQ) is going to be paid including back stabbing conference mates... And every program will do it.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 134 times

suds and csu are the new byu but less relevant.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 250 times

MWC releases a vague statement today ‘on its commitment to unity.’ I really don’t understand the purpose of such a statement. The PAC12 released a similar statement following the USC and UCLA departures…
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Now I'm really worried, lol.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 624 times
Been liked: 256 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:37 am suds and csu are the new byu but less relevant.
But the thing is CSU literally sucks. BYU, those bastards, enjoyed some pretty good success. CSU is all bravado and no success. All hat no cattle. The sheep are arrogant jokers whom we own in football.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:59 am MWC releases a vague statement today ‘on its commitment to unity.’ I really don’t understand the purpose of such a statement. The PAC12 released a similar statement following the USC and UCLA departures…
Seems we're out of the woods for now. Thus a statement
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 80 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:37 am suds and csu are the new byu but less relevant.
SUDS and their fans have made Boize fans look humble by comparison. Not an easy thing to do.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:51 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:59 am MWC releases a vague statement today ‘on its commitment to unity.’ I really don’t understand the purpose of such a statement. The PAC12 released a similar statement following the USC and UCLA departures…
Why do you need to release a statement that the conference is fine? This is like calling work to tell them you plan to go to work. The only reason to release such a statement if there is concern coming from somewhere.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:03 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:51 am

Why do you need to release a statement that the conference is fine? This is like calling work to tell them you plan to go to work. The only reason to release such a statement if there is concern coming from somewhere.
Usually the kind of statement of support by the university for their head coach right before they fire them.

Maybe there was so much buzz they felt like they needed to make some kind of statement.
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

Eventually all the P5 schools will merge into 1 superconference. They probably will call it the NCAA and it will have oversight and make rules for the superconference.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Somebody talk me off the ledge here...Give me a reason the following is not realistic.

Right now there is a real or imaginary line that divides the MWC into "attractive" and "non-attractive schools" in the conference realignment chaos...from what I'm hearing it breaks down as follows:

Attractive:
Fresno
UNLV
CSU
SDSU
BSU
AFA

Non-attractive:
Wyo
Hawaii
USU
SJSU
UNM
NEV

Is it correct to say that the split of teams plus the buyout plus the 75% vote requirement to nullify the buyout or dissolve and reform is what is keeping the MWC together at the moment since no three "non-attractive" schools are willing to go along with the plan to dissolve and re-form?

If the above is correct...the addition of Oregon St and Washington St would change the numbers a bit. At that point you have 14 schools and you would need 11 schools to exceed a 75% vote threshold. The same three school that would not agree to dissolve before the addition could still stop a motion to dissolve after the addition...but what if SMU and Cal joins? Now you would need five schools to vote against dissolution. Could two of the "non-attractive" six secure some sort of agreement that they would be included in whatever gets re-formed and join the march to kill the MW thus relegating Wyo to whatever is left? It would look something like the following:

12 Votes to dissolve 16 team MWC:
Cal
SMU
OR St
WA St
Fresno
UNLV
CSU
SDSU
BSU
AFA
??
??

Who would fill in those question marks or is all this just "sky is falling" type thinking?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:29 am Somebody talk me off the ledge here...Give me a reason the following is not realistic.

Right now there is a real or imaginary line that divides the MWC into "attractive" and "non-attractive schools" in the conference realignment chaos...from what I'm hearing it breaks down as follows:

Attractive:
Fresno
UNLV
CSU
SDSU
BSU
AFA

Non-attractive:
Wyo
Hawaii
USU
SJSU
UNM
NEV

Is it correct to say that the split of teams plus the buyout plus the 75% vote requirement to nullify the buyout or dissolve and reform is what is keeping the MWC together at the moment since no three "non-attractive" schools are willing to go along with the plan to dissolve and re-form?

If the above is correct...the addition of Oregon St and Washington St would change the numbers a bit. At that point you have 14 schools and you would need 11 schools to exceed a 75% vote threshold. The same three school that would not agree to dissolve before the addition could still stop a motion to dissolve after the addition...but what if SMU and Cal joins? Now you would need five schools to vote against dissolution. Could two of the "non-attractive" six secure some sort of agreement that they would be included in whatever gets re-formed and join the march to kill the MW thus relegating Wyo to whatever is left? It would look something like the following:

12 Votes to dissolve 16 team MWC:
Cal
SMU
OR St
WA St
Fresno
UNLV
CSU
SDSU
BSU
AFA
??
??

Who would fill in those question marks or is all this just "sky is falling" type thinking?
I've thought about this and I share your concern. I am against adding anyone. Whoever we add that will "add value" to our conference will hate it and always be looking for something better, dilute our power and influence and puts our future in jeopardy.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

The next playoff contract will be for power 5 teams only. G5 will be in our own division. Once that happens, the money dries up and the chase stops.

For g5 teams, none of this will matter.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:24 am The next playoff contract will be for power 5 teams only. G5 will be in our own division. Once that happens, the money dries up and the chase stops.

Fine by me, I suppose. The last 15-20 years have not been super fun compared to before that. I'm up for something new
doreno5
Cowpoke
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 91 times

The best case right now for Wyoming is for the MW schools to sit tight and wait for the next round of TV contracts to be negotiated. The worse is the MW dissolving.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 15 times

In 2015, Wyoming was rated by the Wall Street Journal as the 3rd highest value brand, but we know it's all about TV screens, and Wyo does draw well nationally, but the actual TV markets in Wyoming will be our downfall.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:48 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:24 am The next playoff contract will be for power 5 teams only. G5 will be in our own division. Once that happens, the money dries up and the chase stops.

Fine by me, I suppose. The last 15-20 years have not been super fun compared to before that. I'm up for something new
Yeah, it might actually be better. Really, the only teams that need to be concerned are those that are on the bubble of p5, like Stanford. Even if crap hits the fan, g5 will be restructured within 3-5 years. We'll be fine no matter; it just might suck for a few years.

It needs to happen sooner rather than later. We all know the p5 will split. It'd be best if it was announced now for 24 or 25. That would at least stabilize g5.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wonder what will happen to the Rose Bowl