Random Thoughts on the Colorado Christian Exhibition Game

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:43 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:32 am
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:52 am Hunter T. definitely got Dave Hall'ed. Welcome to the MWC lol
His last 3 fouls were ticky tacky at best, leaning towards awful. He should be good to go.

He looked really good in his 11 minutes. He was efficient and high tempo. The Mike Daum reference earlier is a good one.
Hunter T is going to be a stud. Our hopes this year turn on him and Jordan staying healthy. We have no real bigs beyond them.
I was pleasantly surprised by Naughton last night but have my concerns if he can stay healthy an entire season. He showed some good moves last night that will definitely help this team if hes out there.

Could be a really interesting team this season. As far as piquing my interest, this may be the "best" team Edwards has had in his time. I hope he can put all the pieces together to challenge for the top third of the conference.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

.44caliberkiller wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:53 am 13. I was disappointed we didn't get to see A.J. Banks or Trace Young play. I think both players could help us but I'm not sure where they fit in currently. Edwards hinted at potentially red-shirting Young in his post game comments and no real reason was given for why Banks didn't play. Banks is insanely bouncy from watching him in pregame warm-ups.
I finally watched the Edward's post-game video and it does sound like he's going to redshirt Young. The fact that Trace didn't play even a few minutes in a meaningless exhibition game (so Edwards could focus on other players) makes one believe this will be the case. Obviously, it will give Young a year in the weight room to add 5-10 lbs, or more, of needed muscle. That's a good thing.

JJ was raving about Banks' athleticism recently. Let's just hope that he and/or Redding can be competent and productive in leading the team from the point when the level of competition dials up a few notches. Otherwise, we'll see the big guard combos.

Northern Colorado beat this Colorado Christian team 92-59 two nights prior. The Pokes are going to have to strap it up quickly AS A TEAM offensively and defensively with UC Santa Barbara coming in. Some are picking the Gauchos to win the Big West. They have a talented and experienced backcourt with a good frontcourt. This will be a MUCH better gauge of where the Pokes are early on. The OOC schedule doesn't get much easier after Tuesday.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Thanks for the recap...I spaced this one out as well. My feelings going into this season is that if Wyoming exceeds expectations it will be because one of our Big guys becomes reliably good night in and night out. I'm concerned that Thompson fouled out in 11 minutes but as has been noted...may have been some bad luck there. I like Thompson's game a lot...(from what I've seen from him in HS and camps) ... I think he's the x-factor.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

My observations on Thompson/Naughton based on very few minutes:

Quickness: Naughton
Hustling: Thompson
Rebounding: Naughton
Outside shooting: Thompson
Defense: Naughton
BB-smarts: equal

I'm sure I will be challenged on this.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:25 pm My observations on Thompson/Naughton based on very few minutes:

Quickness: Naughton
Hustling: Thompson
Rebounding: Naughton
Outside shooting: Thompson
Defense: Naughton
BB-smarts: equal

I'm sure I will be challenged on this.
Only thing I would add is Finishing at the rim/Touch Naughton

Honestly hope they are able to play a high volume of minutes. Hunter is everything as advertised. He is basically a more aggressive Dalton with 40+ lbs on him. Naughton is primed for a big year if he can stay healthy.