Wyoming @ Air Force Thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 36 times

It would be nice to have a 4 year starter type of QB come into Laramie.. it's been a while.
ImageImageImageImage
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

Okay, I never thought, I would say this... But, You guys are wrong. Sween is a good kid and a Good QB. There are such things as Soph. slumps. And yeah, when your only 19-20 years old, and you're leading a program. That's a lot of pressure. Yeah, So what Porterie can do it at New Mexico. But, New Mex. has WR weapons he can throw to. If you compared our WR's to most of the Conf. we would rank lower than most. The kid is young. Give him time. Remember how bad Caey Bramlet was his fresh and soph. years. But his JR and SR years were good and great.
I love how you say he's the savior of this team, and half way through the season, you're ready to toss him. SAD!
He'll get better. And J-Rod, I wouldn't say much, when Brennon has been throwing 5 and 4 int's a week.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

I agree, despite the horrific playcalling from the OC...I still think that we need a qb who can execute the plays given to him. Man, I foresee us squeeking by for a bowl game, but only because I see our D carrying us through the game.
D-Mo for qb?? hahaha
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Gonna be tough for the Pokes to get a bowl game with the tough part of their schedule coming up. They have to start playing better on offense, or at least, minimizing turnovers for the team to be a contender in the post season.
ImageImageImageImage
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

dapokes wrote:We don't need to hurry to recruit a QB...it would help tho. We have a good qb that we're grooming right now in Chris Stutzriem..he was the first recruit to show up right after graduation. He's a big boy in 6'4 220+lbs..hands down has the biggest arm on our roster...the guy has a cannon..when watching his h.s. highlights he reminds me of a taller Brett Farve. He showed very good promise during summer drills. Since Glenn wants to groom him..and Doss and Hetrick were returning, he was redshirted. I find us very fortunate to have been so dedicated to Recruiting him in his Junior year of playing for Lawton HS, Oklahoma...because he comitted before his senior season began(where he tore it up and got many more looks from other schools). I'm not just blowing smoke at you guys.. he was literally begged by Oklahoma State's coach to come play for them. He even got a visit from OKSU's coach in the middle of one of his classes and got crap from everyone in his h.s. for coming here instead of Oklahoma St.
This kid wants to be here..I like him challenging for playing time in spring drills if Sween doesn't get his act together.

DaPOKES,

Good info. I needed some good news tonight, as I was very pissed earlier. Now I am rooting for a BYU upset and we HAVE to beat CSU this year again. Other than that, screw the New Mex. Bowl, or Armed Forces, let's just concentrate on making sure we keep the Boot another year, and maybe beat the Morons. Later..

GO POKES!!
dapokes
Ranch Hand

his level of play hasn't been the same consistently since the virginia game. All I want is a consistently good QB. I partially agree, I think we have good recievers but they need to be utilized better and step up and make some plays. Thank god that bolling is a sophomore. Someone needs to step up before we start printing off QB jerseys. I'm gonna get a Dobbs jersey or Moore if anything.
I've been backing Sween since we got him, but like Glenn says if you're gonna continue to turn the ball over, he'll put someone else in the game.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

tttgowyo,
No problem. I'm really big on following recruiting as you could see from some previous posts in the Marboe thread about our recruiting class thus far. That said, I was extremely pissed but have cooled down and tried to look at the positives, cuz thats all you can do when your offense/team seems to be in a slump. Just like last year when we started off 1-4. We need this win against UNLV . I think that we can get it..considering they just got smashed at home and gave CSU their first win of the season/calender year!
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

Kansan Cowboy! wrote:Remember how bad Casey Bramlet was his fresh and soph. years. But his JR and SR years were good and great.
Not so sure I'd say Bramlet was any good at any point in his career. All I can remember about him is that everytime we were about to get a victory (slim pickin's in those days) he managed to either throw a pick-six or fumble the ball on the goalline and we would lose again.
All Wyoming needs is a QB who takes care of the football. If Hetrick can control the game and not have costly turnovers, then I say they need to go with him, even if he's less talented than Sween. If the coaches don't try something to limit the turnovers, they are going to waste a perfectly good defense and an entire season of eligibility for some of the others. As much as I want to see the pokes win and close out the year on a high note, I see them maybe winning 2 of the remaining 5 games (2 of the 3 against UNLV, SDSU, and CSU), and finishing 6-6 again and once again missing out on a Bowl Game. There just aren't enough bowl slots for the 4th or 5th MWC team to make a bowl game, even if they do hit the magical 6 wins.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

We should just lineup in the Maryland I the rest of the season. :thumb:
ImageImageImageImage
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

spindoctor02 wrote:
Kansan Cowboy! wrote:Remember how bad Casey Bramlet was his fresh and soph. years. But his JR and SR years were good and great.
Not so sure I'd say Bramlet was any good at any point in his career. All I can remember about him is that everytime we were about to get a victory (slim pickin's in those days) he managed to either throw a pick-six or fumble the ball on the goalline and we would lose again.
All Wyoming needs is a QB who takes care of the football. If Hetrick can control the game and not have costly turnovers, then I say they need to go with him, even if he's less talented than Sween. If the coaches don't try something to limit the turnovers, they are going to waste a perfectly good defense and an entire season of eligibility for some of the others. As much as I want to see the pokes win and close out the year on a high note, I see them maybe winning 2 of the remaining 5 games (2 of the 3 against UNLV, SDSU, and CSU), and finishing 6-6 again and once again missing out on a Bowl Game. There just aren't enough bowl slots for the 4th or 5th MWC team to make a bowl game, even if they do hit the magical 6 wins.

Wow, I agree. Please no Bramlet comparisons. The Vegas Bowl game aside, he cost us SO many games by turning the ball over at crucial points in games. Humm... wait, this does sound strangely familiar. I hate to pile on a soph. QB and throw him under the bus, he is young, but if he is the one taking snaps and on scholarship, he should be man enough to take the criticism. I hope he does lead us to two great seasons as a Junior -Senior, but we still have a chance to have a good year. All we need from a QB with the Defense we have and with the running game, is to manage the game, don't make stupid throws. INT's are not the OC's fault. Protect the ball. That goes for Seldon too, although he only really fumbled once on Sat. I am still pissed we need a win for me to forget the last two weeks. :)

GO POKES!!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

I think Spin was referring to Casey, not Corey. :)
ImageImageImageImage
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

Exactly, Casey. And with what Casey Had to work with on the Offensive side of things, his JR, and SR. year ( No Running Game!) I'd say he did a dang good job. Just give the kid time. Sween, I truely believe will make himself a legacy here at Wyoming.
But, I do have a thought here. It has been a long last two weeks, but, if you look at it. Wyoming played the only two teams that they will face this season who run a 3-3-5 D. And Wyo has never been good against the 3-3-5 D. We will be going up against 3-4's and 4-3's the rest of the year. And we are 4-1 against those Defenses. I see us winning at the very least 3 more games. (SDSU, UNLV, and CSU) Maybe we will be really pissed about the embarrassment that occurred at BYU and we might pull that out.
My prediction is the same as the beginning of the year, we go 7-5 or 8-4 and go bowling.
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

MrTitleist wrote:I think Spin was referring to Casey, not Corey. :)

Ha Ha.... I was lumping them together.. :)

GO POKES!!
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

This team is built on the championship formula... Run the ball well, and play great defense. But it lacks the safe QB. The Ravens Super Bowl team is the best example. Trent Dilfer. Thats all this team needs. Karsten Sween is by far the most talented QB on this roster, but he may not give us the best chance to win. Is it Hetrick? Im not so sure. Maybe its Jacob Doss. He proved last year he will never be a great QB, but he was slightly less turnover prone then Sween, although only slightly, that may be all we need. There may not be one on the roster. To some extent its the coaches responsibility to prepare these QB's and prevent these turnovers. I mean they cant throw the ball for them, but when QB after QB comes in here and throws the rock to the other team, they need to explain themselves. The MWC crown is gone, and to have any chance at a bowl, they must win atleast 3 of 5. Utah is probably a lock for a loss, which means Wyoming must find a way to turn it on and beat, if not destroy UNLV and SDSU.