Unis and the MWC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

If the conference is going to realign, why not go for bigger schools in the region as opposed to "smaller" schools that may be more of a travel concern. Also, if there is expansion, its almost mandated to go to 12 teams, that way the MWC can hold a conference championship game in FB (big money maker + possible upgrade to BCS conference). That being said, here would be my ideal conference alignment.

MWC - Mountain Division
--------------------
Air Force
Colorado
Colorado St.
New Mexico
Texas Christian
Wyoming

MWC - Western Division
-------------------
Boise St.
Brigham Young
Fresno St.
Nevada-Las Vegas
San Diego St.
Utah

This alignment would both work geographically (east vs. west), but would also spread out the talent for both FB and Basketball. It would bring in another bowl game for the conference (Humanitarian(???) Bowl in Boise), as well as create some new rivalries (Wyo vs. CU, SDSU vs. FSU, Boise vs. BYU/Utah, etc.). That being said, I think it would be hardest to get CU to leave the Big 12 unless we could guarantee a conference championship game and possible BCS involvement. I've been working on NCAA Div-1A realignment on and off for a couple of years now in my spare time...which all started from disliking the BCS preferences and also disliking Notre Dame as an independent. Will you just join the Big 10 already!!!!!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Breaking up Wyoming/BYU would be bad juju... it hurt the rivalry big time when the WAC was broken into east/west. I'd just about be in favor of dropping TCU (let 'em go to CUSA with UTEP) and bring in Montana (sorry, can't help it). TCU isn't exactly a "mountain" state.. you know?
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 47 times

MrTitleist wrote:Breaking up Wyoming/BYU would be bad juju... it hurt the rivalry big time when the WAC was broken into east/west. I'd just about be in favor of dropping TCU (let 'em go to CUSA with UTEP) and bring in Montana (sorry, can't help it). TCU isn't exactly a "mountain" state.. you know?
I agree on TCU but we can't kick them out!

As for BYU, if the conference were to use the Big 12 scheduling format we would still play the maggots 2 out of every 4 years if both are placed in seperate divisions. Look at OU and Nebraska, they fans griped when both were placed in seperate divisions and it worked great so....
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Hey Spin, you should post your re-alignment. :)
ImageImageImageImage
osuwyopoke
Buckaroo

I like a 10 team conference. Play all 9 teams and 3 non conf teams. Possible championship game between top 2 teams.

My MWC:

Air Force
BYU
Boise St.
Colorado
Colorado St.
Fresno St.
San Diego St.
Wyoming
UNLV
Utah
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

osuwyopoke wrote:I like a 10 team conference. Play all 9 teams and 3 non conf teams. Possible championship game between top 2 teams.
Can't have a conference championship game with less than 12 teams, NCAA rules.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

MrTitleist wrote:Hey Spin, you should post your re-alignment. :)
Like I said...I've been working on it on and off for a couple of years, and as of yet haven't been able to finalize it. Everytime I think I have something worthwhile, I think of another factor in which to "help" redistribute the teams. I wish I would have thought of this problem when I was doing my undergrad...it would've made one hell of a final project/senior thesis for my Geography degree!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

spindoctor02 wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:Hey Spin, you should post your re-alignment. :)
Like I said...I've been working on it on and off for a couple of years, and as of yet haven't been able to finalize it. Everytime I think I have something worthwhile, I think of another factor in which to "help" redistribute the teams. I wish I would have thought of this problem when I was doing my undergrad...it would've made one hell of a final project/senior thesis for my Geography degree!

Can you at least tell me where Hawaii should be? They are my 2nd favorite tem behind my Pokes.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

When you did this realignment, did you factor in 1-AA teams as well, or just 1-A?
ImageImageImageImage
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

MrTitleist wrote:When you did this realignment, did you factor in 1-AA teams as well, or just 1-A?
At the time I only figured in 1-A teams, since I thought re-arranging 119 teams was enough of a task... :|
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

Wyokie wrote:Can you at least tell me where Hawaii should be? They are my 2nd favorite tem behind my Pokes.
After carefully looking through my files, it appears that after a bit of frustration I discarded my alignments after too many changes...lol. I still have all the data I used in trying to determine the best conferences, but I just haven't had a chance to go back through and "play commissioner" in a while. Funny how grad school takes away all your free time.

Since there seems to be a lot of interest in this subject, I am going to open up the discussion to everybody else. What kind of factors would you like to see go into a massive NCAA Division 1-A reclassification? I will list some of the factors I have been using, and feel free to suggest anything you can think of.

Geographical Location
Enrollment
Recent Records (ex. 10 year win %)
Average Sagarin rating (over length of published data)
Rivalries
etc.

If enough people find this topic interesting, and I can find some more ways to quantify my findings, I'll do my best to work it over again and post something for the group.
osuwyopoke
Buckaroo

Wyokie wrote:
osuwyopoke wrote:I like a 10 team conference. Play all 9 teams and 3 non conf teams. Possible championship game between top 2 teams.
Can't have a conference championship game with less than 12 teams, NCAA rules.
Thanks, I didn't know that.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

The Warriors will never join the MWC, the reason there is a MWC is because of Hawaii. Nobody wants to go that far, so its out of the question.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

I think you touched most of the bases, Spin. One other thing you could look at is states that have multiple teams in multiple conferences.. Colorado being a prime example, but Fort Collins and Boulder are what.. less than 50 miles away from each other?
ImageImageImageImage
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Mountain
Wyoming
CSU
AF
BYU
Utah
Boise

Other
SDSU
TCU
UNLV
NM
Fresno
Nevada

Coloado would never leave the Big 12
You still play 8 Conf. 4 Non Conf.- If you arent matched up wit rivals you can still play them
You play all 5 in your divison after you have played 3 of the opposing MWC Leauge- The Big 12 is similar to this
The best team from each leauge play in Championship week
THIS COULD WORK!!!!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

also u could still from C-USA like SMU UTEP Tulsa Houston Rice or teams not mentioned a lot San Jose, Utah State NMSU Idaho
We could make this work with a confrencce of 12-14-16 It could happen!
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

Okay we need to get out of this, "Bigger Better" senario. Seriously, that's what screwed us last time. We wanted the Wac to be the big bad Power conference from the west. When all we became was a big conference of nobodies who beat up on eachother week in and week out. Seriously, When we were a 16 team leage we had a handful of good teams: BYU, AFA, Utah, CSU, Wyoming, and everyother year Fresno. Other than that, the rest of the league was lucky to get 5 wins. And out of all those winning teams only two or three would go Bowling.
If you want to make this a good conference, keep TCU for recruiting purposes. Yes, recruiting in Texas has become better.Plus they are a good program. Get Montana and Boise St. look at their programs with their local recruits. We don't need another Cali team, we've already got SDSU. Get a good program all around. Like Nevada. It's a great program, just look at Coach Aults record there. Plus their basketball is also a good one. One other thing. It adds another Big rivalry under our conference name, UNLV-Nevada.
So :
1. AFA
2. BYU
3. BSU
4. CSU
5. Mont.
6. UNM
7. SDSU
8.TCU
9. UNLV
10. Utah
11. WYOMING
and possible 12. Nevada.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

U cant have Montana! MSU would have to come!!!!!!! But you need 12 good teams atleast Boise Fresno, maybe Hawaii Nevada, or NMSU beacause you can add a championship game and two seperate divisions
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

gopokes1399 wrote:U cant have Montana! MSU would have to come!!!!!!! But you need 12 good teams atleast Boise Fresno, maybe Hawaii Nevada, or NMSU beacause you can add a championship game and two seperate divisions
EXACTLY!

My vote is for Boise, Fresno, and Hawaii.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

You can have Montana!! We'll gladly divorce our bastard sister!
ImageImageImageImage