Where we go from here...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

This Saturday has to be looked at as a cross roads for the Wyoming Cowboys. Wyoming jumps right into the fire two weeks from now when they open up conference play against TCU. Prior to that day, the Cowboys have a few issues to address, and find out where and who they are as a team.
1. Who is Karsten Sween?
Is Sween the QB we saw in week 1 who may not be able to dominate a defense and throw for 500 and 5, but with atleast a marginal running game and mild protection can consistently move the chains and force a defense to stay off balance and not turn the ball over? Or is Sween simply the Sween of last season, who at best will only be able to avoid turnovers against strong defenses and therefore prevent blow outs, and make just enough plays against weak and average foes to keep this squad at .500? Or is this even a sophmore slump Sween, who is going to raise QB controversy?? I dont think its the latter, but it simply cannot be the second possibility if this team is to raise to the super high level people buzzed about two weeks ago.
2. How does this team respond to hostile, tough enviornments and games?
Is this the Cowboys of 05-06? Will every above average to good team that faces the Pokes exploit a tendency to make huge mistakes and simply fall out of big games early before they can settle down? Or are these the Pokes of the last half of last season? A team that hung incredibally tough in road games, and played with an attitude at home as if defeat was impossible, as opposed to not to lose.
3. What will Glenn and Cockhills strategy and attitude be towards this offense down the stretch?
Will they concede that this offense is simply too weak and slow to set the tone against strong oppenents, and focus on a screen and trick play attack? Or will they demand this offensive line learns quickly and emposes their will in the running game as they did week 1 and 2? WIll they design a passing attack which believes Karsten can make any throw down the field, and allow him an attempt to move the chains on third and long as they did in week 1 and 2?

These questions should be partially answered on Saturday, Ohio is a good opponent, but one that Wyoming should beat if they hope for a bowl season and to compete for the MWC crown. This team must come to play on the road.
Prediction...
Wyoming 20 Ohio 16
dapokes
Ranch Hand

It's funny, because there is a story on espn.com right now saying how we are an Over Reaction Nation..about how people are already jumping ship on their teams.. I just think this is an overreaction.. We lost, but don't discredit our QB. Jump on the bandwagon and throw our OC under the bus all you wan't, but not our QB. He had far more dropped balls last week than bad throws..And in response to who would raise a QB controversy..you just did. You were the first to do so, congrats.
I feel our D responded more than well against a VERY hostile Boise St. crowd..wouldn't you say so? Yeah, our O struggled..but now we've got more film and I think our O is going to take out a lot of frustration on the Bobcats this weekend.
TCU and BYU are very beatable/vulnerable. I'm more worried about Air Force than any other team.
Predicton:
wyo 27 ohio 10
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

Well to start, I would say calling BYU and TCU very beatable and vulnerable because of losses to AFA and Tulsa respectably is jumping on a bandwagon, and saying AFA is the chief team of concern is as well.

But on to our team.I never once said any of the things I mentioned were flat out the case. I simply listed what I believe are the seperate possible outcomes for certain areas of this team over the next several weeks. It was like saying ..." On Saturday, we are either going to beat Ohio, or loose to them. And there even a chance we tie!" I was basically saying nothing. I was just pointing out the areas I believe are the most up in the air right now, as well as the most critical in my opinion. As for Sween, I believe in the kid like crazy. And I dont think there should be a controversy, it would only be a nail in the coffin for this team's and Glenn's future. But thats not to say there isn't a chance he struggles this season, and maybe more then one would expect. I was one calling for Doss' head last year, and was even against him starting the year. But Sween has the "it" that Doss never showed, and probably never would have. So no, Sween is our guy, and if at some point he is not behind center, and its not due to injury or graduation or the NFL, something has gone terribly wrong at UW, and this team is probably in very very sad shape. But the fact still remains it cannot be known just yet where he is at this season? After UVA, I was on cloud nine when it came to our QB situation. There is no reason to panic or throw in any towels after Boise, but there is reason to hope they can overcome some things and improve in certain areas. Because we will have to be better then that to hang in this conference.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Thank you for clarifying.

But about BYU and TCU..they are beatable. For BYU, they have to prove to me that they are the best team in Utah, let alone the MWC. Although Utah smashed UCLA, it seems like that Utah will be a week-2-week jeckel and hyde!
TCU was outplayed by an Air Force team that has more heart and senior leadership. Air Force is the team that scares me the most this year, I thought they would struggle a little bit with the hiring of Calhoun. I was wrong, their D is scary good and should get respect. Tell me though, how am I jumping on a bandwagon by pointing out the fact that the ''powerhouses'' in our conference both lost??
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

I guess bandwagon doesnt fit here, it was just in response to your band wagon statement. Its more of jumping to conclusions. You basically claimed I was jumping to bad conclusions about Wyoming, and I was just saying it may be jumping to conclusions to say BYU and TCU are no longer the favorites after one combined conference loss. I would agree they both showed some things which would indicate they may have been a little overrated coming in. And I totally agree about Utah. Loose at HOME to Air Force, and then kill UCLA!!! Sounds a little like the Utah of last season. Got killed in Laramie, and took BYU to the wire. As for AFA, I just dont see them surprising the hell out of everyone and winning this thing. They are a service academy and will always play everyone tough and bring out crazy schemes. Not saying they dont deserve a win for last Thursday night, but TCU had that game well under control going into the fourth in Colorado Springs, and two huge plays, and a coaching choke by lobbing the ball into the end zone on the final drive of regulation cost them it.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

well said..
I didn't mean to get so defensive, but I guess I'm a little biased cuz I'm right around Karsten's age.. My entire family has gone thru the University and now its my turn. I've followed the football with my dad for a while...and i've just been waiting for another QB without Bramlet as his last name...
I know this is off subject, but my h.s. football coach resigned after our senior year and the school hired Bramlet's old h.s. head coach from Wheatland.. man, casey and corey must've been good at the option in h.s. cuz I went home this past weekend and watched our hs get obliterated 45-0...that must be saying a lot of how well the bramlets could the run first throw second offense..maybe thats why corey struggled with turnovers..idk
But as for Air Force...that was a sweet comeback, but I can see how that stupid OC ruined the game for them..I remember watchin it with someone and we were both daring them to take a throw at the endzone and see a pick!! haha I like how Patterson said his grandmother could've made a better offensive play call!