Glenn vs. Bohl

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Okay, both had very good NON-FBS resumes.

But Bohl has been involved with FBS football in the past (coached at Nebraska for 5 years).

But also look at what they had to "turn around".

Glenn became the coach of a team who went 1-10, 2-9, then 2-10 in the 3 years prior to him coming here.
That's a record of 5-29

DC left the program in a MUCH better place than Vic did.
8-5, 4-8, and 5-7.
Obviously that's not GOOD, hell that's the reason we fired him.
But comparing where the program was when they got fired, DC left it in a MUCH better spot.
17-20 is what DC was his last 3 years including a winning season and a bowl appearance.
Hell Vic won 5 games in 3 seasons, DC won 5 games LAST season!
Bohl is working with a team that was 17-20 in the past 3 years, and has the FBS background.
Glenn was working with a 5-29 team and didn't have ANY FBS background.

We know there is talent on the team, even on defense. Bohl can right this ship much better than Glenn did.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I think the transition from one offense to another will be tough for Bohl. He doesn't have the O-Line, TEs, or FBs he needs just yet. Going from a full-on spread to a full-on power-run offense is a difficult task that takes multiple recruiting classes. Fans will have to be patient with the guy early on. But I do think the defense turns things around right away. Not dominant of course, but good IMO.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Our biggest issue, especially for the offense, is our o-line. Spread, pro, whatever, if you don't have a good line, your offense will struggle badly. For offense, that's the biggest issue that will need to be addressed. Will probably use some sort of transition offense the next year or two before making the full change to the power run.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

J-Rod wrote:Fans will have to be patient with the guy early on.
hahahahahaha, you are a funny guy.

we're already bitching about him and he hasn't even touched down in Laramie.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

I was chatting w/ someone yesterday and he wondered how many "Joe Glenn II" references people would make. I guessed somewhere near 1000. The -only- thing those two coaches have in common is that they are/were FCS coaches. That's literally where the comparison stops. Glenn had a national championship with D2 Northern Colorado and FCS Montana. Bohl has two FCS championships and will likely win a third this year. Bohl was far more successful at North Dakota State than Glenn was at Montana.. plus Glenn wasn't at Montana long enough to even put together a full team of his recruits. Joe Glenn was a game manager who relied on assistant coaches to do the coaching. I mean, the guy wore a stop watch around his neck (and still does, actually) during games. Bohl is more hands on and a coach. He's offered jobs to his current OC, DC, OL, WR/recruiter, and LB coaches. The Bison have a tradition of success which Bohl continued and raised the bar. For those that say he won't be able to recruit FBS athletes... he already does, and he uses them to play-up and beat FBS teams regularly. Bohl is EXACTLY what Wyoming needs for a head coach. This sold me on Bohl the hardest: http://kdvr.com/2013/11/26/winterizing- ... ome-ideas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's how you bring back Cowboy Tough.
ImageImageImageImage
wyoav211933
Ranch Hand

While Glenn deserved to be fired when he did, I also think we look down too much on those years. Glenn's biggest weakness by a mile was that he couldn't recruit a QB that could play at the FBS level and we got killed because of it. It was glaringly obvious due to the importance of the position, but the rest of the team was more or less ok. We had RBs that still put up pretty impressive yardage considering all the stacked fronts we faced because nobody respected the passing game, the WR play was respectable and sometimes even great (Boughknight) given the crappy QB. And the Defense had it's weaknesses, but I'm not so sure that they were bad as much as they were fatigued because the offense went 3 and out a lot. But even with the grand difference in QB talent under Glenn's and DC's tenures, Glenn still had the higher winning percentage and still helped beat some bigger schools. I fully expect Bohl to do better than Glenn for me to be satisfied, but I really think we could be good even if his only HC experience was FCS.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

wyoav211933 wrote:While Glenn deserved to be fired when he did, I also think we look down too much on those years. Glenn's biggest weakness by a mile was that he couldn't recruit a QB that could play at the FBS level and we got killed because of it. It was glaringly obvious due to the importance of the position, but the rest of the team was more or less ok. We had RBs that still put up pretty impressive yardage considering all the stacked fronts we faced because nobody respected the passing game, the WR play was respectable and sometimes even great (Boughknight) given the crappy QB. And the Defense had it's weaknesses, but I'm not so sure that they were bad as much as they were fatigued because the offense went 3 and out a lot. But even with the grand difference in QB talent under Glenn's and DC's tenures, Glenn still had the higher winning percentage and still helped beat some bigger schools. I fully expect Bohl to do better than Glenn for me to be satisfied, but I really think we could be good even if his only HC experience was FCS.
QBs and olinemen were Glenn's weaknesses.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

MrTitleist wrote:I was chatting w/ someone yesterday and he wondered how many "Joe Glenn II" references people would make. I guessed somewhere near 1000. The -only- thing those two coaches have in common is that they are/were FCS coaches. That's literally where the comparison stops. Glenn had a national championship with D2 Northern Colorado and FCS Montana. Bohl has two FCS championships and will likely win a third this year. Bohl was far more successful at North Dakota State than Glenn was at Montana.. plus Glenn wasn't at Montana long enough to even put together a full team of his recruits. Joe Glenn was a game manager who relied on assistant coaches to do the coaching. I mean, the guy wore a stop watch around his neck (and still does, actually) during games. Bohl is more hands on and a coach. He's offered jobs to his current OC, DC, OL, WR/recruiter, and LB coaches. The Bison have a tradition of success which Bohl continued and raised the bar. For those that say he won't be able to recruit FBS athletes... he already does, and he uses them to play-up and beat FBS teams regularly. Bohl is EXACTLY what Wyoming needs for a head coach. This sold me on Bohl the hardest: http://kdvr.com/2013/11/26/winterizing- ... ome-ideas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That was a great article to read. I know Christensen used to do that alot - but I think the players thought they were being punished instead of trained. That could be one of the big differences in the mentality between the two coaches when it comes to the elements.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:But Bohl has been involved with FBS football in the past (coached at Nebraska for 5 years
Bohl was at Nebraska for longer than that, and virtually all of his coaching experience prior to Nebraska was also at the FBS level.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

MrTitleist wrote:I was chatting w/ someone yesterday and he wondered how many "Joe Glenn II" references people would make. I guessed somewhere near 1000. The -only- thing those two coaches have in common is that they are/were FCS coaches. That's literally where the comparison stops. Glenn had a national championship with D2 Northern Colorado and FCS Montana. Bohl has two FCS championships and will likely win a third this year. Bohl was far more successful at North Dakota State than Glenn was at Montana.. plus Glenn wasn't at Montana long enough to even put together a full team of his recruits. Joe Glenn was a game manager who relied on assistant coaches to do the coaching. I mean, the guy wore a stop watch around his neck (and still does, actually) during games. Bohl is more hands on and a coach. He's offered jobs to his current OC, DC, OL, WR/recruiter, and LB coaches. The Bison have a tradition of success which Bohl continued and raised the bar. For those that say he won't be able to recruit FBS athletes... he already does, and he uses them to play-up and beat FBS teams regularly. Bohl is EXACTLY what Wyoming needs for a head coach. This sold me on Bohl the hardest: http://kdvr.com/2013/11/26/winterizing- ... ome-ideas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of the past four coaches, going back to Dimel, Bohl strikes me as a professional and an executive. I think Bohl might have a polish that the other four lacked, as well as a methodical and "Six Sigma" approach to coaching as opposed to just doing parts of the job he finds appealing or easy.

This is a guy that players will play for, and, hopefully, one they'd jump in front of a bus for.

I think all of the early talk about offensive transition is Chicken Little. The guy strikes me as the type who will assess his resources and shape his plan accordingly.

As for Wyoming Football changing to a smash-mouth style, a truly "Cowboy Tough" style of play- I find it surprising that Burman has exhibited such a level of vision. I wonder where it was before, but, I'm willing to give him some room and see if he's learned that "Dream job" complacency will lead to disaster for all involved. He's young, it's possible, and I fully support this hire.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

we'll see and hopefully results will be had(i.e. a Conference Championship) within the next 2-3 years and beating Boise State during his tenure
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Joe Glenn after losing to NDSU 50-0 and 40-10. "the NDSU program that coach bohl has built is incredible, he simply out coaches you, out recruits you, my hats off to them"
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

lakesbison wrote:Joe Glenn after losing to NDSU 50-0 and 40-10. "the NDSU program that coach bohl has built is incredible, he simply out coaches you, out recruits you, my hats off to them"
Joe Glenn after being NDSU 20-17.... :D
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:
lakesbison wrote:Joe Glenn after losing to NDSU 50-0 and 40-10. "the NDSU program that coach bohl has built is incredible, he simply out coaches you, out recruits you, my hats off to them"
Joe Glenn after being NDSU 20-17.... :D
Glenn has beaten SU both at UNC and Wyoming. But, I still think Bohl is a much better coach.

(Don't make me a liar, Coach Bohl!)
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa