Favorite Border War Moment

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote:2010 Border War. The year began badly with the death of Narcisse (RIP) and the Pokes struggled all season. Then came the Border War, one last chance to win a game before the end of the season, and Alvester Alexander ran wild all over the sheep and the defense blanked the sheep as well. Ended up becoming the biggest blowout and shutout in Border War history. And other than a certain QB leaving without notice and surprising a lot of the team, coaching staff, and fans, it would set the pace for when Brett Smith would take over.
This was my first border war experience live and it was sure fun seeing csu get land blasted. I also loved the border war the following season as Brett smith jumped on the wall and celebrated with the Wyo fan section and I was there and it was pretty awesome to celebrate with him.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

ACS stiff arm is definitely up there too
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

I noticed this just now, it has to do with attendance. In 1996 when we were nationally ranked #23 and #17, we had home attendance numbers of 14k and 17k against Fresno and SMU.

That will make me think twice before I think we have crappy attendance again. At least we're getting more than that!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

WYO1016 wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
McPeachy wrote:Wow, young fan base on this message board.

As on "older" fan - it all makes sense now. If you never experienced the 60's, 70's and 80's - and only a small handful of you the 90's - it is no surprise to see where the bar is set.
:roll: here we go.....
I think the bar should be raised. I have huge hopes and expectations but when ever I say that, all you old timers say "beaverpoke you need to be more realistic and know we suck"
Dude, this is the personal attack stuff we're talking about. Knock it off. :bad:
I don't think there was any personal attack here. Maybe just a little hypersensitivity on Beavs part.

McPeachy called himself "older".
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote:I noticed this just now, it has to do with attendance. In 1996 when we were nationally ranked #23 and #17, we had home attendance numbers of 14k and 17k against Fresno and SMU.

That will make me think twice before I think we have crappy attendance again. At least we're getting more than that!
Yeah, the truth is we have almost always had poor attendance relative to the national average for the sport at this level. The current attendance level and trends in recent years actually compare pretty favorably to past years, particularly in light of the poor competitive performance.

Basketball is a completely different story. We used to draw a number that was very competitive regionally and even nationally and even in mediocre years could do 7-8k per game. The destruction of the basketball program and it's fanbase is at the root of my frustration/disappointment with UW athletic leadership.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

The 1996 game, the 1998 game, and the ACS stiff arm are my favorite Border War memories. Blanking them in 2006 and 2010 were both very satisfying, but the 1996 and 1998 games are arguably two of the most important Border War games ever played. Both teams had tons on the line. As a matter of fact, most of the Border War games in the 90's were huge...it's just that Wyoming won the 1996 and 1998 games.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

i've been to Hughes about 5-6 times and really don't want to go back any time soon unless my Pokes need me for a Huge game that has huge implications....those fans are sooooo obnoxious
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

the more i think about it....the 2011 game sealing safety keeps topping my list

we were watching at the theater in casper and the group there almost blew the roof off the place
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

1998 fog bowl was epic. Also the drive in 1996. although, I wasn't at the 1996 game as I had just had ACL surgery. I was screaming and jumping on one leg in Laramie watching on TV. I hate to say it but also loved when ACS delivered the nastiest stiff arm ever on a long TD run.

GO POKES!!
The Virginian
Cowpoke

I think it was 1972 at Fort Collins when there was a bench-clearing brawl at the coin toss. Now that's a rivalry!

My next favorite is when we beat them.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Although we lost 14-7. 97 was awesome in experiencing 34,745 in The War! I've been to all the sellouts since, none have ever reach the level of intensity and noise. Not even the blocked Texas punter for a td, or Virginia, or even Nebraska. 97 had fans rocking! The stands we're shaking like crazy. I even watched the recorded game later and the tv cameras shook practically all game.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

kansasCowboy wrote:Although we lost 14-7. 97 was awesome in experiencing 34,745 in The War! I've been to all the sellouts since, none have ever reach the level of intensity and noise. Not even the blocked Texas punter for a td, or Virginia, or even Nebraska. 97 had fans rocking! The stands we're shaking like crazy. I even watched the recorded game later and the tv cameras shook practically all game.
what was it about that year that we had such a turnout?
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

whyoh wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:Although we lost 14-7. 97 was awesome in experiencing 34,745 in The War! I've been to all the sellouts since, none have ever reach the level of intensity and noise. Not even the blocked Texas punter for a td, or Virginia, or even Nebraska. 97 had fans rocking! The stands we're shaking like crazy. I even watched the recorded game later and the tv cameras shook practically all game.
We did go 10-2 the previous year.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

whyoh wrote:
That was Dimels first year as coach and Wyoming had played Ohio St. in Columbus really tough to start the year and then won the next 3 games to start 3-1. We then went to Boulder to play nationally ranked Colorado and we had them beat. Wyoming was up 19-10 with maybe about 4 or 5 minutes left in the game. Can't remember the exact amount left.
Wyoming ended up letting CU run the kickoff back if I remember correctly and then Wyoming was trying to run the time out but fumbled the ball and we lost 20-19. Wyoming should have won but they blew it.
Wyoming won the next 2 games to start out 5-2. So the fact that the record was good and Wyoming was playing nationally ranked teams tough and then CSU had already been ranked earlier that year and ended up winning the conference and finishing 11-2. So between both teams being good and it being a rivalry that is why the crowd was so big.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

JimmyDimes wrote:

As on "older" fan - it all makes sense now. If you never experienced the 60's, 70's and 80's - and only a small handful of you the 90's - it is no surprise to see where the bar is set.
I was trying to think of a Border War in the 80's that was worth mentioning and I couldn't come up with anything (maybe because CSU wasn't very good). My favorite all time Wyoming game was at AFA in 1987.
That game was in 1988. WYO 45, AFA 42.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
The Virginian
Cowpoke

The Virginian wrote:I think it was 1972 at Fort Collins when there was a bench-clearing brawl at the coin toss. Now that's a rivalry!

I stand corrected, it was 1978. Here's Kevin McKinney's take on the Border War: Remembering the Border War
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:

I was trying to think of a Border War in the 80's that was worth mentioning and I couldn't come up with anything (maybe because CSU wasn't very good). My favorite all time Wyoming game was at AFA in 1987.
My bad...I was there and pretty drunk. Great game and great atmosphere. I think it was my first time in Falcon stadium and the F16's nearly knocked me on my ass.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

The Virginian wrote:I think it was 1972 at Fort Collins when there was a bench-clearing brawl at the coin toss. Now that's a rivalry!

Didn't 2009 have a bit of a brawl before the game started? I believe it was when the Gipson's went to mid field to see their cousin who played for CSU and for some reason it wasn't a happy family moment. There was a bunch of pushing and shoving, but no punches. This was my favorite, the year of the true freshmen. ACS stiff arms his way down the field, down two, Watts hits a game winning field goal and Muhammad seals it with an interception. Had we not won it would have been another losing season, that instead became a ticket to Albuquerque. I think it helped with recruiting being the first bowl game and winning!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:

My bad...I was there and pretty drunk. Great game and great atmosphere. I think it was my first time in Falcon stadium and the F16's nearly knocked me on my ass.
I listened to the game on the radio. George Kay and Dave Walsh were the best together. BTW, Roach did the right by going for the tie rather than the win. We got really lucky when Dee Dowis accidently fumbled a snap and we recovered the ball to set up the game winning field goal by Sean Fleming.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
YankPoke
Cowpoke

pokefanchaz7 wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:2010 Border War. The year began badly with the death of Narcisse (RIP) and the Pokes struggled all season. Then came the Border War, one last chance to win a game before the end of the season, and Alvester Alexander ran wild all over the sheep and the defense blanked the sheep as well. Ended up becoming the biggest blowout and shutout in Border War history. And other than a certain QB leaving without notice and surprising a lot of the team, coaching staff, and fans, it would set the pace for when Brett Smith would take over.
This was my first border war experience live and it was sure fun seeing csu get land blasted. I also loved the border war the following season as Brett smith jumped on the wall and celebrated with the Wyo fan section and I was there and it was pretty awesome to celebrate with him.
I was at this game as well, and it was my Freshman year. I was sitting right where he jumped into with the other students that came on the bus with the stampede. It was a really fun game to see WYO with more fans than CSU in their own stadium and pull out the victory as well as celebrating with Brett was pretty awesome :thumb: