rampant optimism

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
castlerocker
Cowpoke

This is the time of year it is easy to get inflated expectations.

If you don't want to be demoralized the first time the pokes get clobbered, then go to utube and watch the 2012 Fresno State highlites and get immunized.

Smith was basically running for his life because the line was no where to be found.

A little reality might not be a bad thing unless............the pokes have gone thru a huge transformation this summer.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

castlerocker wrote:This is the time of year it is easy to get inflated expectations.

If you don't want to be demoralized the first time the pokes get clobbered, then go to utube and watch the 2012 Fresno State highlites and get immunized.

Smith was basically running for his life because the line was no where to be found.

A little reality might not be a bad thing unless............the pokes have gone thru a huge transformation this summer.
I believe the player on the o-line have improved, but one thing is for sure. They have something to play for now.
Wyo was 1-5 when they played Fresno St. and the players themselves probably thought that they should have been 5-1.
That was right after the AFA fiasco.
Yes we at WyoNation have broke it down before, and maybe the Pokes would have still lost to Nevada, and Toledo, but w/Smith the Pokes would have at least won the Cal Poly and AFA games. And you know the players believe it too.

The team was deflated from the beginning of the season on until the Border War win that started a 3 game win streak.

I'm not saying the Pokes are going have a great O-Line or anything, but they will have something to play for, unlike the Fresno and Boise St. games.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

That game with FSU I was in attendance and it was hard to watch, sure hope that isn't the case with Nebraska, i really think we'll be fine, may not win, as long as it's fun to watch
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

stymeman is right....this is the last two weeks that everyone can feel confident.....then reality sets in. Only a handful of teams will live up to fans expectations.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

spindoctor02 and I were talking about this very topic last night..
ImageImageImageImage
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Im optimistic about this new fast break offense, but in the case of preserving a lead late in 4th would DC sell out for a slower paced 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality, or stay with the fast pace? Example would be 3 minutes left with a 2 point lead.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I find myself re-watching the CSU game. Not into self torture. Two things to remember regarding Fresno...Brett looked fuzzy and not-so sharp (first game after concussions), and Fresno was looking for revenge from the NM Bowl.

Bring on the season.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

JimmyDimes wrote:I find myself re-watching the CSU game. Not into self torture. Two things to remember regarding Fresno...Brett looked fuzzy and not-so sharp (first game after concussions), and Fresno was looking for revenge from the NM Bowl.

Bring on the season.
That and Robbie Rouse knew our run defense was awful at best and took good advantage of that (like everyone other RB did).
ImageImageImageImage
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:I find myself re-watching the CSU game. Not into self torture. Two things to remember regarding Fresno...Brett looked fuzzy and not-so sharp (first game after concussions), and Fresno was looking for revenge from the NM Bowl.

Bring on the season.
That and Robbie Rouse knew our run defense was awful at best and took good advantage of that (like everyone other RB did).
Rouse didn't have a great game...a good game (90 yard, 4.6 ave no TD's). Smith had a terrible game throwing under 200 yards and under 50%. Fresno managed less than 400 yards of offense but had a INT returned for a TD and a punt returned for a TD.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I'm an optimist about our offense, but realize they're one dirty hit from being average (which is still better than it ever was under Glenn).

I'm trying not to even think about our defense.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Losing guys like Rouse and Thomas are why I don't get the Fresno hype. They lost their all-time leading rusher, yet everyone thinks Fresno "returns all their starters". They don't.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

I don't have pessimism or optimism. Just going to watch and see how it plays out before i get too optimistic. Will see how we do at Nebraska.

I did think DC wanted to have our offense running as fast as Oregon's last year by the sounds of what they were saying out of spring camp and before fall camp and thought that would be great to do but sounds like the offense isn't going to be going that fast which is somewhat disappointing.

Hopefully they surprise me come August 31st.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

J-Rod wrote:Losing guys like Rouse and Thomas are why I don't get the Fresno hype. They lost their all-time leading rusher, yet everyone thinks Fresno "returns all their starters". They don't.
exactly. Fresno State has underachieved for years. Once in awhile they put together a team...BUT they are still Fresneck State. I am trying to be cautiosly optimistic. IMO, a bowl game for the pokes is doable and with this schedule expected. Anything less than a bowl game is a huge disappointment. My opinion, anything more than 6 wins is a successful season.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I'm done being surprised with this Wyoming team. They could go anywhere from 3-9 to 9-3 in my mind. All comes down to injuries and a little luck. The pieces are there to be good, but depth is an issue almost everywhere. That said, I have a hard time seeing this team missing a bowl again if Smith stays healthy all year.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I've tried to not get over hyped ala 2012 and the only thing I'm going to say about 2013 is we win the turn over battle we win games. It just feels like it's going to be one of those seasons where the turnover battle tells the win loss ratio at the end of the season.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I agree with J-Rod. This team has the potential to be anywhere from last in the eastern division of the MWC to conference champs. I can't remember there ever being a Wyoming team this difficuly to project. The two keys are going to be O-line play and the defense's ability to stop the run.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote:I agree with J-Rod. This team has the potential to be anywhere from last in the mountain division of the MWC to conference champs. I can't remember there ever being a Wyoming team this difficuly to project. The two keys are going to be O-line play and the defense's ability to stop the run.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

seattlecowboy wrote:I don't have pessimism or optimism. Just going to watch and see how it plays out before i get too optimistic. Will see how we do at Nebraska.

I did think DC wanted to have our offense running as fast as Oregon's last year by the sounds of what they were saying out of spring camp and before fall camp and thought that would be great to do but sounds like the offense isn't going to be going that fast which is somewhat disappointing.

what makes you say it looks like it isn't going to be as fast? did I miss something? weren't they going every 12 seconds or something?
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Reason for optimism: Of all the college games anywhere to be played this season, 100% of them will have a winner.
Reason for pessimism. 100% of them will have a loser.
Profound, huh?
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Dutchnation wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:I don't have pessimism or optimism. Just going to watch and see how it plays out before i get too optimistic. Will see how we do at Nebraska.

what makes you say it looks like it isn't going to be as fast? did I miss something? weren't they going every 12 seconds or something?
I was thinking the same way as you that it was going to be every 10 to 12 seconds the ball would be snapped but I read Gagliardi this morning on his chat and he said they don't snap the ball as fast as Oregon was last year. Said it was closer to 18 to 19 seconds. Which is still a quick tempo, don't get me wrong but from what they were saying in the spring I thought it would be closer to every 10 to 12 seconds. Maybe they still will snap it faster but knowing how conservative DC has coached in the past I can see it not being what we were told.

Like i said I hope they surprise me against Nebraska and it ends up being very fast paced.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….