Anybody remember the name

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

carbonpoke wrote:and if in traveling north on 1-25... stop in chugwater and get some chili/chili powder.

I have two containers in the cabinet.

not much else to do in chugwater... get gas for the car, get gas for your ass.
My dad and I go some chili stuff while in Chugwater last summer. We had some Chugwater Chili last fall and it was damned good. Planning to have more once the weather here in LaLaLand aka Oklahoma cools down.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

It ain't blimpies it's bailey's.. we dont have a blimpies

and Mingles is still going. Thursday and Friday fish bowls baby!!

Wingers was garbage and the italian joint is fantastic.

Village inn was bought out by the owner of Prairie Rose and they're putting up a steak house

any more questions haha
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

gopokes1399 wrote:It ain't blimpies it's bailey's.. we dont have a blimpies

Village inn was bought out by the owner of Prairie Rose and they're putting up a steak house

any more questions haha
Long before it was Bailey's it was Blimpie's. Before that it was Scotty's Drive-In.

Any more answers? Ha ha...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The Virginian
Cowpoke

I'll take you back. Anyone remember Shakey's Pizza on Grand Avenue? It was just past the stadium on the right as you head out of town. I used to love their all you can eat nights. We're talking back to the mid-70s. My favorite place is the El Conquistidor and their combination platter. I never miss an opportunity to go there when I'm in Laramie.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

shakey's... YES! we had one in Rawlins close to where the movie theatre is. I loved that place, their potato rounds were a favorite of mine when I was little.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Andrew still run's Mingles.

The yellowstone drug store closed down in Shoshoni because the Free Mason's sold the building. They moved out to the drive in restaurant on the east side of town. Apparantly that killed the business. I hear there is a new yellowstone drug store in casper.

Svilars - that would be the steakhouse I think your talking about in Hudson. Right next to the Union Bar.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

wyocowboy2014 wrote:The last thing I need in Laramie is a DQ ha. The writing was on the wall for village inn. The property had been for sale for a long time before the doors were closed. It amazes me nobody in Laramie does a good sports bar. As an earlier poster said, a place needs lots of tvs, good outdoor seating, student specials, and great food. Everything in town is pretty mediocre. I'm kind of a foody and would love to see a good sports bar with good food. Hopefully the library pushes their menu to be a bit better.
yeah I can't see why a BDubs can't have a smaller location in Laramie???
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

The Virginian wrote:I'll take you back. Anyone remember Shakey's Pizza on Grand Avenue? It was just past the stadium on the right as you head out of town. I used to love their all you can eat nights. We're talking back to the mid-70s. My favorite place is the El Conquistidor and their combination platter. I never miss an opportunity to go there when I'm in Laramie.
Shakey's had pizza that couldn't be rivaled...we used to go to the one in Sheridan all the time, Cheyenne had one, don't remember the Laramie one, I guess they still exist in California, but age biased, it can't be as good as it used to be I'm sure
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

carbonpoke wrote:more memories coming back...

if you want a bomb breakfast, head over to Cheyenne to r&b' breakfast club... their breakfast burritos are so damn good... haven't had its equal in 14 years. my girlfriend in college was from Cheyenne. we went there like every weekend! so GOOD
I live here and the quality has gone downhill, imo....smaller and less love put into them, it's all about getting people in and out anymore, don't go there that much anymore, always busy still.....
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Wyovanian wrote:

any more questions haha
Long before it was Bailey's it was Blimpie's. Before that it was Scotty's Drive-In.

We used to run to Blimpie's in High School to grab a BMT and sprint back to school before the 45 minute lunch period was over. Good stuff. I remember the big beers they always were serving to the softball teams that visited the place, but was too young to enjoy them myself.

My good friend in Kindergarten / First Grade's dad was the manager at Scotty's. I loved that place. We used to walk up there from Thayer elementary and he'd set us up with a burger and fries, and my buddy Tony used to play "Convoy" on the juke box. After school my mom used to take me there for some fries.

I saw Shakey's pizza mentioned. My brother and ( each had two or three birthday parties there. They also had the guys that would come out and play the piano, and you could watch them making the pies through a special window. All us kids in cub scouts loved that place.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

WyoBrandX wrote:The yellowstone drug store closed down in Shoshoni because the Free Mason's sold the building. They moved out to the drive in restaurant on the east side of town. Apparantly that killed the business. I hear there is a new yellowstone drug store in casper.
THANK YOU so much for the info, WyoBrandX. Been wondering what the hell happened there.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

stymeman wrote:
wyocowboy2014 wrote:The last thing I need in Laramie is a DQ ha. The writing was on the wall for village inn. The property had been for sale for a long time before the doors were closed. It amazes me nobody in Laramie does a good sports bar. As an earlier poster said, a place needs lots of tvs, good outdoor seating, student specials, and great food. Everything in town is pretty mediocre. I'm kind of a foody and would love to see a good sports bar with good food. Hopefully the library pushes their menu to be a bit better.
They tried to come in to the plaza that chilis is in. From what I heard, Chilis wanted to charge them crazy rent and bdubs said no thanks. Also, I think the conquistador may be the worst Mexican food I have ever had.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Lost Poke wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

any more questions haha

We used to run to Blimpie's in High School to grab a BMT and sprint back to school before the 45 minute lunch period was over. Good stuff. I remember the big beers they always were serving to the softball teams that visited the place, but was too young to enjoy them myself.

My good friend in Kindergarten / First Grade's dad was the manager at Scotty's. I loved that place. We used to walk up there from Thayer elementary and he'd set us up with a burger and fries, and my buddy Tony used to play "Convoy" on the juke box. After school my mom used to take me there for some fries.

I saw Shakey's pizza mentioned. My brother and ( each had two or three birthday parties there. They also had the guys that would come out and play the piano, and you could watch them making the pies through a special window. All us kids in cub scouts loved that place.
Ah, so you know the Schoenemens too? I believe Floyd still operates Cherries on North 3rd where DQ used to be.

Shakeys was pretty good, as pizza went in the 70's and 80's, but it was their Mojo Potatoes that rocked. We used to get an order or two and play video games there.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

wyocowboy2014 wrote:
stymeman wrote:
They tried to come in to the plaza that chilis is in. From what I heard, Chilis wanted to charge them crazy rent and bdubs said no thanks. Also, I think the conquistador may be the worst Mexican food I have ever had.
Rents over there are still astronomical. It will take a couple of evictions before somebody wises up and lowers it to something a business in Laramie can work with. Chilis is a company that's not afraid to subsidize a losing store for awhile, which I'm sure is the case.

As far as ElCon's food- there's so little understanding of what "authentic" Mexican food is, that for every three people that rave about a Mexican place's food, there's one or two that try to compare it to something other than what it really is and dismiss it. That family's been using those recipes for decades, and they're alright by me and still wildly popular with the natives and long-time locals. Compared to popular chains serving similar styles of Mexican cuisine, it's far better than just about any of them.
hithere
Ranch Hand

As far as ElCon's food- there's so little understanding of what "authentic" Mexican food is, that for every three people that rave about a Mexican place's food, there's one or two that try to compare it to something other than what it really is and dismiss it. That family's been using those recipes for decades, and they're alright by me and still wildly popular with the natives and long-time locals. Compared to popular chains serving similar styles of Mexican cuisine, it's far better than just about any of them.
I appreciate that the El Conquistador has been there since Nixon or whatever but I don't care for their food either. TheCup will fight anyone who bad mouths that establishment but I've tried eating there numerous times. Not a fan.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wyovanian wrote:
wyocowboy2014 wrote:
stymeman wrote:
Rents over there are still astronomical. It will take a couple of evictions before somebody wises up and lowers it to something a business in Laramie can work with. Chilis is a company that's not afraid to subsidize a losing store for awhile, which I'm sure is the case.

ElCon is alright, but Corona Village is always awesome!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:
wyocowboy2014 wrote:
stymeman wrote:

ElCon is alright, but Corona Village is always awesome!
And a different style of food. It's like trying to compare Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine to that of New Mexico. While you can have a preference, no one can say one is better than the other. ElCon's chimichangas and tacos (both of which are Mexi-Cali staples, along with the style of their sauces) kick azz, while Corona Village has great beef and seafood dishes and sauces that are more Oaxacan and Michoacanian in origin. Personally, I like 'em both. And when I want good Pennsylvania Dutch apple pie, I get Pennsylvania Dutch apple pie. When I want good New Mexican Chimayo apple pie, I get New Mexican Chimayo apple pie.

The upshot is, one may prefer one style over another, but to qualify one style as "better" (or worse) than another is folly.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Wyovanian wrote:
Lost Poke wrote:
Wyovanian wrote: We used to run to Blimpie's in High School to grab a BMT and sprint back to school before the 45 minute lunch period was over. Good stuff. I remember the big beers they always were serving to the softball teams that visited the place, but was too young to enjoy them myself.

Ah, so you know the Schoenemens too? I believe Floyd still operates Cherries on North 3rd where DQ used to be.

Shakeys was pretty good, as pizza went in the 70's and 80's, but it was their Mojo Potatoes that rocked. We used to get an order or two and play video games there.
I remember the potatoes. We used to get them, too. For video games we'd go to Superfun, where Kinko's is now, and which was prioviously Fanta Pizza and Snorts (the bar my dad and his engineering faculty / grad student buddies used to go for beers on Fridays).

I do know the Shanemans! At one point the family had a bunch of businesses around Laramie; they are serial entrepeurs I guess. Floyd moved from Scotty's to DQ, and then bought it. Later on he converted it to Cherries. His brother had the A&W on 2nd street. Kathy had Buttons 'n Bows kids clothing, and later the Tumbleweed Express at the I-80 and Grand exit across from Sherman Hills. Floyd and Kathy's son, Tony, has the car wash on 2nd by the old Mulligans (or did the last time I was in town regularly which is getting to be pretty distant. Tony was my best bud when we were five and six years old.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

I just wish Laramie had some better non "American" food.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

or maybe a different take on American. I lived in north carolina for 6 years. how cool would it be to have a lowcountry bbq bar and grill, pulled pork, smoked brisket... real bbq.

or a irish sports bar, that had bangers and mash, heavily influenced with lamb and potatoes... good irish beer. corned beef and cabbage. Guinness stew!