Disappointing...Wyo HS to byu

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

http://trib.com/sports/high-school/shri ... 08c9f.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It sucks that some Wyoming HS players desire to play for byu. I just don't get it. I was raised catholic and I for damn sure never rooted for Notre Dame.

I think a couple of these guys have the ability to play D1 too. Collins is tough and went undefeated for 2-straight years in wrestling and I thought should be a target for the wrestling team.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

BYU is far more central to the LDS faith than Notre Dame is to Catholicism. There are plenty of other high quality catholic or jesuit Universities in the U.S. and the U.S. itself is hardly the center (present or historically) of the Catholic faith. For LDS on the other hand, BYU is the primary higher education center for the LDS faith and Utah County is pretty much the heart of the faith.

Also consider the experiences growing up. If you attended a Catholic Church in Wyoming (as I did as a kid for a while), you pretty much never hear a peep about Notre Dame. Conversely, an LDS church in Lovell will likely have far more BYU visibility through Seminary, etc. even if it isn't athletic related.

I don't personally understand it either (had to laugh at their Wyoming Dorm Room idea, they will quickly learn that their Wyoming roots will be mocked and degraded at BYU), but it is tough to compare to other common religious preferences in the area.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

If he wants or needs to go on Mission, that's not something we can't compete with. Also, let's face it, BYU is a bigger party school than Wyoming will ever be!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

NowherePoke wrote:BYU is far more central to the LDS faith than Notre Dame is to Catholicism. There are plenty of other high quality catholic or jesuit Universities in the U.S. and the U.S. itself is hardly the center (present or historically) of the Catholic faith. For LDS on the other hand, BYU is the primary higher education center for the LDS faith and Utah County is pretty much the heart of the faith.

Also consider the experiences growing up. If you attended a Catholic Church in Wyoming (as I did as a kid for a while), you pretty much never hear a peep about Notre Dame. Conversely, an LDS church in Lovell will likely have far more BYU visibility through Seminary, etc. even if it isn't athletic related.

I don't personally understand it either (had to laugh at their Wyoming Dorm Room idea, they will quickly learn that their Wyoming roots will be mocked and degraded at BYU), but it is tough to compare to other common religious preferences in the area.
I even went to a Catholic elementary school here in Laramie (St. Laurence) and I don't recall Notre Dame ever being brought up.

Plus, while there are numerous Catholic and Jesuit universities, (Notre Dame, St. Mary's, St. John's, etc.), Mormons really only have BYU and BYU's satellite schools.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

cowboyz wrote:If he wants or needs to go on Mission, that's not something we can't compete with. Also, let's face it, BYU is a bigger party school than Wyoming will ever be!
How's that even possible! They can't have beer there so....why bother?
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

Wyokie wrote:
cowboyz wrote:If he wants or needs to go on Mission, that's not something we can't compete with. Also, let's face it, BYU is a bigger party school than Wyoming will ever be!
I think he was joking. The biggest party on campus of bywho is probably a tiddily winks party. :lol:
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

WYCowboy wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
I think he was joking. The biggest party on campus of bywho is probably a tiddily winks party. :lol:
Gawd, I sincerely hope he's joking!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Is this him?

MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Imagine being the non-Mormon on campus at BYU.. the measly 2%.. you find some Mormon girl desperate enough (which I'm sure there are plenty of), you can have the time of your life.. and not be sober. BYU could definitely be a party campus. Amirite?
ImageImageImageImage
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Wyokie wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
Gawd, I sincerely hope he's joking!!!
Yes, just joking (about BYU being a party school, not about the Mission).
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

They would be walkons at either school. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them decides that UW is a better fit after thinking long and hard about it from a financial standpoint. They will get the Hathaway here whereas BYU will likely all be out of pocket. Not saying it will happen but sometimes money talks.

They are all strong LDS kids though and showing up to Wyoming games and hearing "first down mother _______" isn't a big selling point for these kids. I think Wyoming fans don't do themselves any favors if we want to recruit strong lds kids. "The f___ them up F____ them up go wyo" chants aren't exactly doing any favors in this regard.

I know two of the kids in the article and in their homes swearing would not be tolerated. So it shouldn't be a surprise when parents can pressure kids one place where their family values are embraced. Not saying it's right or wrong but between the language and drinking it isn't the environment their parents would choose for the kids either.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

I'd prefer if they went somewhere else rather than change some chants
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

laxwyo wrote:I'd prefer if they went somewhere else rather than change some chants
+1

Besides I love "F U BYU!!!!"
uwaluminidaho
Buckaroo

LDS boys should go t BYU. They and their families will be better off, more content knowing that their sons are on the correct path to becoming successful young Mormon men. My own son grew up with close LDS friends in our little town. It was great for him to have LDS buddies for several reasons. They never came over on Sundays. And on those days they did come over, they didn’t drink my beer. One point of contention I had with the LDS boys was their springtime Friday night ritual of meeting down at the stake house and getting armed with 3 or 4 irons, then going out the hayfields and launching the heads off of gophers and baby cottontails. This always seems rather ungodly to me. I was always a shooter or trapper ($.15 per gopher) in my youth. Not the wanton slaughter of little squealing fur balls. It seemed as there was never any remorse, just Nikes that were grass stained and blood stained. Badges of honor that showed you were on the ‘rabbit drives’. Maybe I am slow to change.
I lived and worked in Evanston in the late 80’s and went to Provo for the WAC BBall tourney games in 1988. Wyoming repeated as conference champs by beating UTEP in the final game. It was cold, snowy and we had a difficult time getting there going down thru Provo canyon that first day session for 2 games, then 2 more in the night sessions. We were in the parking lot, having last smokes (yes, at one time it was cool to smoke, and I was cool, albeit stupid) and slamming a few beers before the first session. Our group of 5 was walking, sliding and wind skating on patches of ice across ten acres or so of parking lot with a howling wind at our backs. I was sucking down one last smoke when a spinster looking professor type did an about face and tried to keep up with us shouting at the top of her lungs that ‘this is a non smoking campus’. ‘Sir, BYU is a non smoking campus!’ ‘Sir, sir…..
Like my smoking was hurting anybody but me, at that moment, in a raging March gale. This hen pecking harassment went on for several vehicle rows when ultimately the nagger upended on a patch of ice, and landed hard. Above all the howling wind noise, I heard the howling ‘whoopsy daisy’ remark of one of my friends.
We left her lying there, disheveled and moaning some slight non perceptible utterances. Hat knocked off, skirt and coat a flapping in the breeze exposing her neither region, her sheath of papers being scattered to the wind. It seemed fitting and just not to offer her any assistance. After all it was near tip off time and I had to pee.
Later that day, between the day and night sessions, we looked for some place where we could drink a few and eat a little. In the eighties, no such place to be found in Provo as you can imagine. One of the guys with us was a Elks club member from Evanston, so we went to the Elks club in Provo with visions of cocktails and bar snacks for sure. Got in the club nearly at happy hour as I recall….they had no bartender and were setting up to have a meeting of Elks leaders so the bar would not be open….can you imagine? Can’t get drink in an Elks club!!
I have always hated everything about Provo since that day…and BYU too. Everything that was good about the boys going on a little road trip (the Cowboys winning the WAC Championship), hanging and just doing guy stuff, mature or not, was buzzed killed and the fun tempered just because we were in Provo. f-word ‘em.
Go Pokes, down a different road!
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

uwaluminidaho wrote:LDS boys should go t BYU. They and their families will be better off, more content knowing that their sons are on the correct path to becoming successful young Mormon men. My own son grew up with close LDS friends in our little town. It was great for him to have LDS buddies for several reasons. They never came over on Sundays. And on those days they did come over, they didn’t drink my beer. One point of contention I had with the LDS boys was their springtime Friday night ritual of meeting down at the stake house and getting armed with 3 or 4 irons, then going out the hayfields and launching the heads off of gophers and baby cottontails. This always seems rather ungodly to me. I was always a shooter or trapper ($.15 per gopher) in my youth. Not the wanton slaughter of little squealing fur balls. It seemed as there was never any remorse, just Nikes that were grass stained and blood stained. Badges of honor that showed you were on the ‘rabbit drives’. Maybe I am slow to change.
I lived and worked in Evanston in the late 80’s and went to Provo for the WAC BBall tourney games in 1988. Wyoming repeated as conference champs by beating UTEP in the final game. It was cold, snowy and we had a difficult time getting there going down thru Provo canyon that first day session for 2 games, then 2 more in the night sessions. We were in the parking lot, having last smokes (yes, at one time it was cool to smoke, and I was cool, albeit stupid) and slamming a few beers before the first session. Our group of 5 was walking, sliding and wind skating on patches of ice across ten acres or so of parking lot with a howling wind at our backs. I was sucking down one last smoke when a spinster looking professor type did an about face and tried to keep up with us shouting at the top of her lungs that ‘this is a non smoking campus’. ‘Sir, BYU is a non smoking campus!’ ‘Sir, sir…..
Like my smoking was hurting anybody but me, at that moment, in a raging March gale. This hen pecking harassment went on for several vehicle rows when ultimately the nagger upended on a patch of ice, and landed hard. Above all the howling wind noise, I heard the howling ‘whoopsy daisy’ remark of one of my friends.
We left her lying there, disheveled and moaning some slight non perceptible utterances. Hat knocked off, skirt and coat a flapping in the breeze exposing her neither region, her sheath of papers being scattered to the wind. It seemed fitting and just not to offer her any assistance. After all it was near tip off time and I had to pee.
Later that day, between the day and night sessions, we looked for some place where we could drink a few and eat a little. In the eighties, no such place to be found in Provo as you can imagine. One of the guys with us was a Elks club member from Evanston, so we went to the Elks club in Provo with visions of cocktails and bar snacks for sure. Got in the club nearly at happy hour as I recall….they had no bartender and were setting up to have a meeting of Elks leaders so the bar would not be open….can you imagine? Can’t get drink in an Elks club!!
I have always hated everything about Provo since that day…and BYU too. Everything that was good about the boys going on a little road trip (the Cowboys winning the WAC Championship), hanging and just doing guy stuff, mature or not, was buzzed killed and the fun tempered just because we were in Provo. f-word ‘em.
Go Pokes, down a different road!

I find the the follow two paragraphs somewhat contradicting in your attitude....

"One point of contention I had with the LDS boys was their springtime Friday night ritual of meeting down at the stake house and getting armed with 3 or 4 irons, then going out the hayfields and launching the heads off of gophers and baby cottontails. This always seems rather ungodly to me. I was always a shooter or trapper ($.15 per gopher) in my youth. Not the wanton slaughter of little squealing fur balls. It seemed as there was never any remorse, just Nikes that were grass stained and blood stained. Badges of honor that showed you were on the ‘rabbit drives’. Maybe I am slow to change."

"It was cold, snowy and we had a difficult time getting there going down thru Provo canyon that first day session for 2 games, then 2 more in the night sessions. We were in the parking lot, having last smokes (yes, at one time it was cool to smoke, and I was cool, albeit stupid) and slamming a few beers before the first session. Our group of 5 was walking, sliding and wind skating on patches of ice across ten acres or so of parking lot with a howling wind at our backs. I was sucking down one last smoke when a spinster looking professor type did an about face and tried to keep up with us shouting at the top of her lungs that ‘this is a non smoking campus’. ‘Sir, BYU is a non smoking campus!’ ‘Sir, sir…..
We left her lying there, disheveled and moaning some slight non perceptible utterances. Hat knocked off, skirt and coat a flapping in the breeze exposing her neither region, her sheath of papers being scattered to the wind. It seemed fitting and just not to offer her any assistance. After all it was near tip off time and I had to pee. "

You'd leave a human being who was, albeit annoying you, hurt on the snow packed, cold, windy parking lot....but have such remorse for "poor" little furry creatures. I'd say there was something slow about you, maybe not change, just slow in general.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

This thread was not meant to be an attack on the LDS religion. I'd like to see all Wyoming natives, regardless of religion, look up to the Wyoming Cowboys and dream to someday play for the Cowboys. If someone doesnt want to drink beer, thats fine...more for me and I always appreciate a DD.

And I also find it disturbing that you would leave a lady lying after falling on the ice.
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote:This thread was not meant to be an attack on the LDS religion. I'd like to see all Wyoming natives, regardless of religion, look up to the Wyoming Cowboys and dream to someday play for the Cowboys. If someone doesnt want to drink beer, thats fine...more for me and I always appreciate a DD.

And I also find it disturbing that you would leave a lady lying after falling on the ice.

+1....I don't care what religion a kid is, if he is a native of Wyoming and has aspirations to football in college, I would much rather him have aspirations to play for the Cowboys than for any other school.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

SLCPoke wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:This thread was not meant to be an attack on the LDS religion. I'd like to see all Wyoming natives, regardless of religion, look up to the Wyoming Cowboys and dream to someday play for the Cowboys. If someone doesnt want to drink beer, thats fine...more for me and I always appreciate a DD.

+1....I don't care what religion a kid is, if he is a native of Wyoming and has aspirations to football in college, I would much rather him have aspirations to play for the Cowboys than for any other school.
Military academies being the exception for me.