Brett Smith #3 NFL QB Prospect

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

DVDA wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
DVDA wrote:Brett Smith isn't a fit for every NFL offense due to his lack of elite arm strength. He could be a starter for a smart coach(Harbaughs, Belichick, etc.) who will play to Brett's strengths, but most coaches aren't capable of that. Most NFL coaches are stubborn and want players to fit the coaches mold rather than molding an offense around the players. I think he'll have a long career as one of the best backups in the league.
Arm strength isn't everything. Look at SDSU's former QB Lindley, 6'4, 230lbs, rocket arm, and stunk it up badly. Folds under slight pressure, incredibly immobile, questionable decision making, and accuracy issues.

Arm strength can be improved, as Brett showed last season as he launched some deep ones that were on target. Thompson has the arm stength and just as much grit as Brett, and does not fold under pressure, but his accuracy and touch are questionable and need serious improvement. And honestly, it's harder to do that than to beef up your arm.
I agree that arm strength doesn't matter if you suck as a passer, but there is a minimum requirement to make NFL throws. I don't know that Brett Smith has that kind of arm strength. Have you ever categorized a pass from Smith as a dart, a bullet, laser, etc.? I know I haven't because he doesn't have the ability to throw the fast ball. Maybe he'll put on 20-30 pounds and gain some arm strength while doing so, but I don't see it happening.

I don't know about "lasers" or "bullets" but I have seen Smith throw incredibly accurate extremely far down field. Remember that TD pass to Heron against Texas? He launched that thing, and it's not like it hung in the air for ever. I don't know if it was more of Herron just out running the Texas DBs getting to the ball or if it was more of a perfect pass from Smith.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

BeaverPoke wrote: I don't know about "lasers" or "bullets" but I have seen Smith throw incredibly accurate extremely far down field. Remember that TD pass to Heron against Texas? He launched that thing, and it's not like it hung in the air for ever. I don't know if it was more of Herron just out running the Texas DBs getting to the ball or if it was more of a perfect pass from Smith.
Extremely far down field? Against Texas? Herron broke away on a screen pass on one, the other was 22 yards.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote: I don't know about "lasers" or "bullets" but I have seen Smith throw incredibly accurate extremely far down field. Remember that TD pass to Heron against Texas? He launched that thing, and it's not like it hung in the air for ever. I don't know if it was more of Herron just out running the Texas DBs getting to the ball or if it was more of a perfect pass from Smith.
Extremely far down field? Against Texas? Herron broke away on a screen pass on one, the other was 22 yards.
I guess it wasn't a TD pass but the deep pass from deep in the endzone. It starts @2:08 in this video.
Smith launched it and Herron slipped past the D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udC7wE-e0IE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:
I guess it wasn't a TD pass but the deep pass from deep in the endzone. It starts @2:08 in this video.
Smith launched it and Herron slipped past the D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udC7wE-e0IE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He can throw about 50-60 yards down field, but that's not what I'm talking about. All of his passes seem to float through the air. He will struggle in the NFL with out routes and curls because of his lack of arm strength. He could survive in a west coast, timing based system but that's about it. His ability to extend plays and find a way to gain positive yards makes him an attractive backup option but I think he is too limited with his current arm strength to be a long term NFL starter. He'll need a Bill Walsh to cover up his deficiencies and let his strengths shine through. Unfortunately for Brett, there aren't many Bill Walsh caliber coaches out there.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

He still has 2 more seasons to throw that ball harder.
I'm curious to see if his added weight this season will result in a stronger throw.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:He still has 2 more seasons to throw that ball harder.
I'm curious to see if his added weight this season will result in a stronger throw.
I really hope he does. He's been an awesome Cowboy and I definitely want him to succeed in the NFL.
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

DVDA wrote:I really hope he does. He's been an awesome Cowboy and I definitely want him to succeed in the NFL.
3 winning seasons for the Pokes this millennium. How about we have a successful season in college before we even start worrying about Brett's NFL potential?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

spindoctor02 wrote:
DVDA wrote:I really hope he does. He's been an awesome Cowboy and I definitely want him to succeed in the NFL.
3 winning seasons for the Pokes this millennium. How about we have a successful season in college before we even start worrying about Brett's NFL potential?
How about since we are fans we can look forward to him being in the NFL? We aren't the ones playing that need to stay focused on now.

Smith has almost broken every school record @QB already. By the end of the season he will be #1, and by the end of his senior year he will have destroyed each one. And then he is off to the NFL. It's supposed to be fun to watch and fun to debate about.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

here you guys go:

tom brady college scouting report:
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/anyon ... .77495994/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drew brees college scouting report:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2001/pro ... brees.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you read both reports... you will see similarities.

brett smith's report will look an nearly identical to drew brees; except that smith will have better measurements. smith even has the sidearm tendencies.

again, brett smith's arm is fine... what will matter over the next two years is: winning and production. bottom line.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

carbonpoke wrote:here you guys go:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/anyon ... .77495994/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2001/pro ... brees.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brett smith's report will look an nearly identical to drew brees; except that smith will have better measurements. smith even has the sidearm tendencies.

again, brett smith's arm is fine... what will matter over the next two years is: winning and production. bottom line.
Drew Brees & Tom Brady had huge success in the Big Ten conference, Rose Bowls, MVPs, Big Ten Records, Michigan records, etc. When we can't beat teams like Cal Poly, it doesn't really matter what his numbers look like. It certainly doesn't equate to a Super Bowl quarterback.

Remember when Marcus Harris won the Biletnikoff award? We were way better then than we are now and he was breaking national records...never played a down in the NFL.

I think Brett can make it to the NFL if he stays healthy enough, I'm definitely not going to predict Pro Bowl, League MVP success.

(I also might add that Ryan Leaf's scouting report probably looked way better than Brady and Brees....which pretty much proves that scouting reports don't mean poop haha)
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
carbonpoke wrote:here you guys go:

Drew Brees & Tom Brady had huge success in the Big Ten conference, Rose Bowls, MVPs, Big Ten Records, Michigan records, etc. When we can't beat teams like Cal Poly, it doesn't really matter what his numbers look like. It certainly doesn't equate to a Super Bowl quarterback.

Remember when Marcus Harris won the Biletnikoff award? We were way better then than we are now and he was breaking national records...never played a down in the NFL.

I think Brett can make it to the NFL if he stays healthy enough, I'm definitely not going to predict Pro Bowl, League MVP success.

(I also might add that Ryan Leaf's scouting report probably looked way better than Brady and Brees....which pretty much proves that scouting reports don't mean poop haha)

Good points about the scouting report stuff but then again Brett Smith didn't play a single down against Cal Poly, so not beating Cal Poly just means Kirkgaard isn't going to be a super bowl QB.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

in addition, selecting qb's is a hard science.

probably the most important transition for college level quarterbacks is putting in the work that it takes to become successful in the pros. More often than not, big name-big talent college quarterbacks can't or wont put in the work to adjust their game in the pro's. There are more prototypical pro bodied quarterbacks that lack the personality traits required than there are undervalued-chip-on-their-shoulder quarterbacks that have the drive and work ethic to succeed.

who knows where or if brett will be drafted? doesn't matter right now... but from what we have seen, brett has the competitive nature and work ethic to be the best he can be. he was never the five star qb... he has been, and will always be the quarterback that works and hates losing.

until he calls it quits on football, he will work harder for any coach than 99% of his teammates. that's what got him to where he's at, and that's what could drive him at the next level to put in the extra hours and throw more practice balls with receivers to develop timing relationships.

I don't know bridgewater, nor do I know what manziel's work ethic is like... I do know that b smith started varsity in high school 4 years, and played a half with a broken arm. I know he set the university of Wyoming's freshman record for qb's performance in the weight room. whatever pro team looks at smith will see that. we produce blue collar kids, not blue chippers.

and that same drive to win could lead to a career ending concussion.

Im just glad we have him now.
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

You only need to be able to throw the ball 60 yards to be successful. The perfect deep ball should hit the receiver anywhere from 45-55 yards in stride downfield. B Smitty can do that. Very rarely are you going to be asked to throw it longer than that (besides a hail mary, etc.). If everyone is doing their job then as a QB you shouldn't still have the ball in your hands by the time the receivers are 65+ yards down the field anyway. I saw him thread some needles this last year. I saw the zip he can put on it. He'll be fine in that aspect. STAY HEALTHY STAY HEALTHY STAY HEALTHY. Keep in mind all of his production the past two years has happened w/ no line. That is an impressive fact that a lot of people like to overlook. Can you imagine if this dude had Louisville's line?? Woo Wee! Is it September yet?? Go Pokes!