MWC predictions

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
cheypoke
Ranch Hand

So what are your predictions for the MWC tourney winner? I'd say its really a crap shoot this year, could be nearly anyone (except AFA). But I guess I would have to put my m oney on utah, even though I really dont want to see that.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

I'm going with San Diego State. Their toughest game might be their very first one since they play UNLV. They will beat BYU if they get them in the 2nd round. Guarantee it. That being said, watch out for the Pokes if they can find a way to beat New Mexico. I don't like the way we match up with New Mexico at all. We will have to play a stellar game to be in this game at the end. If we can pull this upset, we will give Utah or TCU everything they can handle in the 2nd round.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Except for Martinez, NM did poorly at 3-pointers last game. And not because the Pokes covered them well, but because they just weren't going in. If they are on with the 3's Thursday, watch out unless Shroyer has something figured out (unlikely). And they better figure out how to double Dandridge too.
cheypoke
Ranch Hand

Well Adv, I'm afraid that if they double Dandridge, then that just leaves somebody open for a free shot. Just tackle him everytime he gets the ball.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Im taking UNLV for the championship. I like our chances against UNM in the 1st round, I think it will be a very good game.

Air Force hasn't won a MWC tournament game since???? But I am taking Air Force to get their first win of the year in the pigtail game.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Somebody posted this on the MWC board. It's pretty interesting and shows how much of an advantage UNLV has at the Thomas & Mack. I don't know how the other MWC schools stack up against them at the T & M.

2009:
UNLV 75 BYU 74
UNLV 75 Utah 65
UNLV 60 UNM 58

2008:
UNLV 70 BYU 41
UNLV 70 Utah 63
UNLV 79 UNM 60
UNLV 61 Utah 55
UNLV 76 BYU 61

2007:
UNLV 83 BYU 75
UNLV 97 Utah 94
UNLV 76 UNM 72
UNLV 80 Utah 54
UNLV 78 BYU 70

2006:
UNLV 82 BYU 72
UNLV 65 Utah 58
UNLV 67 UNM 56

So in the last 4 years, they are 16 & 0 against BYU, Utah, and UNM.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I think it will be byu vs. utah. A final no one out of the state of utah will care about. I don't like our chances. We need to catch nm looking ahead. UNLV is not good enough this year, imo. SDS is inconsistent.

Nevill is the great equalizer. He's not as good as Bogut but he's the best in the league and in a close game, he will be the difference.

I will be rooting for our boys. If we win, I'll be on a plane to Vegas the next day.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Since the tournament returned to Vegas, UNLV is yet to lose. In the last 2 years, UNLV has lost one conference home game. That was this year to SDSU. I just don't see SDSU pulling that off twice in one year.

BTW, why isn't the mountain showing the girls game? This is ridiculous! Girls down big at half :o !

EDIT: Oh and the tournament MVP the previous two years still plays for UNLV. Yea Wink hasn't had a good year, but he turns it on for the tournament.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

If SDSU doesn't beat UNLV, BYU will. The Rebels definitely have a huge advantage playing at home, but they just don't have the horses this year to win the whole thing in my opinion. Could it happen? Yes Will it? I doubt it. I still think SDSU is the best team in the conference. Sort of funny that they may end up in the NIT. This should be a very interesting tournament.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

When UNM faced the Pokes in the last game, they were rated 5 pt favorites for the gamblers. They didn't make the spread. Now the spread on a neutral court is 9-1/2.

My take is that this is about right. The easy shots NM missed in the last game should fall tonight unless Shroyer has come up with something original.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

The conference tournament is a whole new animal. The teams in the Mtn West are so evenly matched that it will come down to who wants it more. Which team is willing to dig a bit deeper than they ever have before? Who's going to go at the rim with the intention of ripping it off the backboard and punishing anyone who dares to put their fragile arms in the way? Who's going to decide that the mother f-word they are guarding won't put up a shot without a hand inches from their eyes? Who is going to put an ass into their man and drive that bitch into the first row of the stands? He won't be getting a rebound sitting in the first row. Screw the records. Screw the point spreads. Screw the coaches. Screw the play calling. Screw the substitutions. Screw the venue. Hell, screw the fans. This all about who wants this damn championship more.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

That's a hole lot of screwing. But guess who may be doing the most screwing at the tournament: the refs.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:That's a hole lot of screwing. But guess who may be doing the most screwing at the tournament: the refs.
LOL You sound like a WAC fan. They complain about their refs more than we do.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

SDSU looks tough. Say goodnight BYU. I'd love to meet the Aztecs in the championship game again.