Attendance

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
cheypoke
Ranch Hand

Attendance was 6,749. That has to be the worst attended BYU game I have ever been to. Not sure why no one showed up, weather was good, Pokes were playing better. And another odd thing was that I did not see one single BYU fan. If they were there, they werent cheering apparently.
WyoRev
Buckaroo

People in Wyoming are getting tired of dissapointment. Many of Wyoming's fans get far too emotionally envolved in Wyoming Athletics (I'm trying to quit, but it's tough). I think it's because we have so much pride for this state, and that we all want to see it represented well. I was really excited for last nights game. Was thinking about it all day long. Great first half really got the crowd pumped up, and it was damn nice to see a decent (relative to the rest of the season) crowd in AA again. Pounding BYU in the first half was awesome, but then came signature Wyoming dissapointment. The second half was one of the hardest to watch halves of basketball I have seen in a long time. This is what is killing attendance. Emotional highs to devastating lows. I don't like putting myself through it. Win some big games Wyo...and the fans WILL come.

On another note. I hope someday I will see Wyoming sweep BYU in all sports, but I'm not going to hold my breath. We are playing against god here, but I guess we still have our pride no matter what happens.

Just my .02
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

I was actually pleasantly suprised with those who did show up. Althought it was not a huge crowd, it was better than most the crowds of all the other games. Also, those who were there had a lot of energy and were loud. I am a current student, so I don't have memories of the days when the AA was packed, but of the past few years when I have been here, that was one of the most energetic crowds I've witnessed at the AA. Or I should say it was one of the most energetic crowds I've witnessed in the lower student section, it is kind of hard to tell if the crowd around the rest stadium was very energetic.
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

It wasn't 6 or 7 seasons ago when we regularly filled the AA for a Pokes game. I can still feel the excitement and the intense heat from the 16,000+ of the UW/Utah game for the MWC Championship. Now that was a rocking arena! This was back in the days when Basketball out-drew Football. Maybe the cycle has just shifted and people are coming to football instead.
cheypoke
Ranch Hand

No, Spin, football isn't packing them in either. Its just going to take a year or two of good basketball to get the fans back.
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

Football has to be drawing more fans now than they were when I was in school and we had like 4 wins in my first 3 seasons. The town of Laramie can't support full stadiums for either Basketball or Football for every game, so the poor economy has to be effecting all the traveling fans from all over the state.

While I agree that the talent of the team affects the attendance, it's not the only factor.