I hate when our team trys to use clock

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

At the end of a half when we try to use clock, our offense is absolutly terrible. This if the first game I can remember actually getting points at the end of the first half after wasting clock, and that was only because we got fouled. Usually it just consists of Ewing trying to drive to the basket with 8 seconds left, getting stopped, and throwing up an off-balance 3.

This game it nearly killed us at the end of the game. With 3 minutes left we started wasting clock, but did not score a single point allowing air force two chances to go to overtime. I would much rather see us move the ball around and take the shot when it comes open, rather than this standing around doing nothing and then with 8 seconds left trying to drive, and either throwing up a off balance shot or simply turning the ball over. I am not impressed at all with our end of half management and have not been all year, and this game it nearly cost us.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Whew - I hate playing AF more than any other team.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Are they still a team full of three point sharpshooters?
ImageImageImageImage
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

If there is such a thing as a disappointing win, this is it. Afam and Johnson turned the ball over more times than I can count. Ogirri's pass out of the double team was the worst I've ever seen. That is an 0-14 team we just barely beat. Most teams have beat them senseless.

This team has come a long way. But in reality, it has a long way to go. Four of our 7 wins are against CSU and Air force, and not exactly convincing wins either. I don't pretend to know what the problem is. Afam travels over and over again. I'm scared every time Ogirri has to break pressure. Ewing can even be turnover prone.

I pray that we have a little better ball handler next year, although I have no idea who it will be. Does Jay Straight have a brother?
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Ugly, ugly. Almost 10 minutes with no field goals.
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

Ugly wins are the hardest to get and an ugly win is better than a beautiful loss..Utah State and Boise were played much better but they were both l's. I will take 5 more ugly wins if I can get them .

Ewing hasn't been turnover prone since the UCLA game and not only leads the MWC in assists but is second in A/to ratio.

Afam tried to do to much on the offensive end tonight but did fine work on the boards with 9 but 7 turnovers from the wing can't happen.Johnson had a bad game even though he also had 9 rebounds...

Thats 4 in a row now we have 2 at home....BYU won today but Cummard struggled and had 16 points on 17 attempts and tavaenari was scoreless..
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

Every time we play AF, it is always ugly and tonight was no exception. Even the officiating was ugly - that goal tending call wasn't even close. We got the W anyhow. I hope the Double A is packed for both remaining games.
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

Every time we play AF, it is always ugly and tonight was no exception. Even the officiating was ugly - that goal tending call wasn't even close. We got the W anyhow. I hope the Double A is packed for both remaining games.
That was a horrible call and the worst part is niether of the other officials met to over rule him.

There was some bad blocking calls made as well..

Good teams can get past those without getting caught up,,Keep the run going...we are 4-0 after heading into the last 6...A 6-0 run going into the tournament with the stregnth of the MWC this year almost garuntees us a post season invite....The tournament is up for grabs and we have the horses to get there,,,
nirv117
Ranch Hand

You are correct about us trying to use clock. We rarely score when we do. My philosophy is that points will win. You can give them 15 more seconds as long as you score. Air force was the perfect example if we would have scored once or twice we'd have been up 7 points or more instead of three, and even if they have more time left it is much harder to come back. It forces them to foul earlier, and take more long shots.

The other problem I see with our running clock is that we don't seem to have any set plays to run. It is much harder to get a good shot in a specific time frame when you don't have a set play.
God is a Cowboy
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

My way of thinking is if you are beating the other team, why change the way you are playing. It evidently has worked in the first part of the game - why change it until it stops working.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

PL_Julian wrote:Ugly wins are the hardest to get and an ugly win is better than a beautiful loss..Utah State and Boise were played much better but they were both l's. I will take 5 more ugly wins if I can get them .

Ewing hasn't been turnover prone since the UCLA game and not only leads the MWC in assists but is second in A/to ratio.

Afam tried to do to much on the offensive end tonight but did fine work on the boards with 9 but 7 turnovers from the wing can't happen.Johnson had a bad game even though he also had 9 rebounds...

Thats 4 in a row now we have 2 at home....BYU won today but Cummard struggled and had 16 points on 17 attempts and tavaenari was scoreless..
I couldn't agree more...an ugly win beats the hell out of a glorious loss anyday. Every team has an ugly win here or there during the season.

GO POKES beat the kittens!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...