wyo all star team

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I have been thinking about getting some custom made jerseys for a wyo all star team.
I need some help though.
PG Kenny sailors
SG Brandon Ewing
SF Marcus Bailey
PF fennis dembo
C Eric Leckner

It would be a small starting 5 with dembo at pf and Ewing at sg. But is that the starting 5 you would have?
Should Ratliff get the start over leckner?

Does that starting 5 compete with some of the big schools like UCLA and Duke and North Carolina?
Is it even the best in the Mwc or does unlv beat it?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

over looking Josh Davis and maybe Uche, but so far so good I think we'd hold our own with that lineup
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Totally forgot about Josh Davis wow.
Maybe I'll have to do a starting 5 plus a 6th man.
Does Davis take the center spot instead of leckner?
Or does Brandon Ewing get bumped to 6th man, making the starters sailors, Bailey, dembo, Davis, leckner?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

NO SIR...Eric is the man at the C!!! It's really tough when you go back and think about all the good players we've had here, all with their own ways of contribution. A trip to the NCAA's is needed here in the next 5 years or so, we're due...lol
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

You are forgetting a lot of guys. As good as Marcus Bailey was he was in no way one of the 5 best players at Wyoming. Same goes for Josh Davis or Uche.

C is Leckner
PF just off the top of my head would be either Slater or Ratliff unless you want to put Ratliff as a back up Center.
SF would be Dembo with Bill Garnett a close 2nd.
SG Brandon Ewing would probably work there
PG Kenny Sailors

I'm just thinking and throwing names out off the top of my head and probably forgetting some but Dembo, Leckner, Sailors and Garnett are probably the 4 best to ever play at Wyoming in their era's just thinking about it real fast off the top of my head.

I'm sure some of the other guys will pipe in here. Nowherepoke can give some good insight on this as well and some of the guys who have been around for many years but those are the guys I can think of real fast.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Flynn Robinson, Tony Windis, Charles Bradley
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote:Flynn Robinson, Tony Windis, Charles Bradley

Exactly, you can't forget our best scorer in Flynn Robinson. What about Reggie Slater (Mr. Double/Double every night)
Its sad that we get hung up on our most recent talents, Ewing wasn't even close to Flynn. I would easily take a Charles Bradley or Reggie Slater over Josh Davis. Don't get me wrong, I love Davis, but in retrospect he doesn't even compare.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

What about the White Tornado? Mike Jackson is best point guard I've ever seen at Wyoming.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Here's mine (not really trying to build a team, so ignoring positions for the most part):

First-Team All-WYO:

Kenny Sailors - For reasons obvious (Jump Shot, NCAA title) and not so obvious (an icon that remains tied to the program nearly 70 years later, a very special and unique situation).

Flynn Robinson - Averaged 26.5 ppg. Granted, it was a different era, but...damn.

Fennis Dembo - As I sit in a random hotel room on a business trip screaming at the laptop for the Pokes to pull it out against North Carolina Central on a November evening, I wonder "How did I turn out like this"? The answer: Watching Fennis Dembo when I was 9 years old and then going out in the driveway trying to recreate the magic regardless of wind, snow, or a combination of the two. He was simply that good and his game infected me with a love for UW hoops that has driven all kinds of questionable decisions through the years.

Bill Garnett - WAC titles, Player of the Year, NCAA tournament victories, and a Top 5 NBA draft pick. What else can you add to that?

Eric Leckner - As a kid pretending to be Fennis Dembo in the driveway, every once in a while a realization would hit that I would not indeed become the next Fennis Dembo (yes, this was apparent even at that point). However, I did hold on to the faint hope that I would grow to be 6'11" and be the next Eric Leckner (Alas, not only did I not reach 6'11", but even if I had, my ceiling would have been far more Matt Sellers than Erik Leckner, but I digress)

Second Team -

Charles "Tub" Bradley - Brought greatness back to UW hoops along with Brandenburg and Garnett.

Tony Windis - A name that doesn't get as much attention as some of the others on this list, but had a very impressive career at UW

Marcus Bailey - One of my favorite players to watch in any sport at any level. Loved his mid-range game and shot making ability. Just a clever basketball player who likely would have led UW to three consecutive conference titles if the injury hadn't robbed him of his final year.

Reggie Slater - Dominant in the post, even though he was as wide as he was tall.

Brandon Ewing - The best I have every seen at UW at getting to the rim and to the line. Played with aggressiveness and fire and stuck with UW through thick and thin.

Toughest one to leave out was Theo, but I feel like his college career was not nearly as dominant as you might think based on the length of his NBA tenure in respect to the other names on this list. Next was Josh Davis with a similar scenario. I feel like Davis really didn't consistently reach his full potential consistently, but when he was on he was amazing.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 16 times

I want Bill Garnett and Tub Bradley on my team...
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

One player that nobody ever mentions but I feel was very underrated was Jeron Roberts. Kid was a baller, just played on some crappy teams and for a crappy coach. Probably doesn't beat out anyone on these lists but should merit consideration.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Honorable Mentions (5)
Leonard Washington
Dave Lodgins
Sean Dent
Justin Williams
LaDrell Whitehead
for contributions to their teams during their time with UW
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

stymeman wrote:Honorable Mentions (5)
Leonard Washington
Dave Lodgins
Sean Dent
Justin Williams
LaDrell Whitehead
for contributions to their teams during their time with UW
LaDrell?! You can't be serious.
You want Honorable Mentions,

Brad Jones
Turk Boyd
Kenneth Ollie
Tim Breaux
Rodney Gowens
Tony Martin
Jamal Hosey

I would take any of them before LaDrell and Lodgins.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 232 times

How does Theo Ratliff go with such little mention ?!?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 232 times

I think an exciting team would be:

Theo Ratliff
Justin Williams
Josh Davis
Fennis Dembo
Mike Jackson
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

regardless the 86-88 team will always be my faves, hands down, with the 2001-02 2nd and the 81-82 a 3rd
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:How does Theo Ratliff go with such little mention ?!?
I'm thinking the same thing.

Ladrell Whitehead? Please. Haha
Kwyo
Buckaroo

http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-baskbl/sp ... 04aab.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Did no one say Jay Straight!? Come on! He was so good! At least a mention
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Can we turn this into a voting poll?