And so it begins...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Last year it was the fact that Texas didn't know who was gonna be the starting QB that got me stoked for the upset on the road and now it is this...

Nebraska coach says that the team is mentally weak and looked like a bad football team, especially on the D side.

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... tally-weak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh man...I don't need to be reading that to get me fantasizing about the upset in Lincoln, right J-Rod?

Lol... :)
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

And they are only returning 4 starters on D and lost a bunch of their D-Line.

They gave up 115 points in their final 2 games. 70 to Wisconsin and 45 to Georgia.
Wyo is not Wisconsin or Georgia. But...B-Smith can score quite a bit on that team. Here is to hoping that the Nebraska D does not improve that much by game day in Lincoln August 31st!
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

The bad news for us, is that in the Wisconsin game where they gave up 70 points, they Wisconsin had 2 RBs that had 200+ yards and another that had 100+ yards...We can not run the ball that well. At all. We have not ever had a Montee Ball. Even as good as Demo and Wynell were, they were no Montee Ball.

But the good news is that in the game to Georgia, they gave up over 400 yards in the air to Aaron Murray.

And after looking at their roster it looks like they lost quite a few members of their secondary to graduation.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Oh Beaver......head in the clouds again....we will leave you alone, have fun. :P :lol:

Trust me, the Husker' fans are not losing any sleep over the Wyo game.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 50 times

J-Rod wrote:Trust me, the Husker' fans are not losing any sleep over the Wyo game.
+1

No way we have a shot of winning this game. Maybe a squad similar in talent of our 1988 team but otherwise......FORGET IT!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:Oh Beaver......head in the clouds again....we will leave you alone, have fun. :P :lol:

Trust me, the Husker' fans are not losing any sleep over the Wyo game.
Lol I know I know haha.
But luckily for us, the fans opinion does not mean that we will lose.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Trust me, the Husker' fans are not losing any sleep over the Wyo game.
+1

No way we have a shot of winning this game. Maybe a squad similar in talent of our 1988 team but otherwise......FORGET IT!

Although you are probably right Wyokie, I just hate that mentality of that we have no shot so we should start looking forward to the next game on the schedule.
I know the players attitude is that they are going to win and they think last year was a fluke.
But yeah I do admit, mark it down now that we will probably lose by 2+ TDs at least, but right now, I don't see it as a guarantee loss.
Who knows maybe our once young promising CBs of Huff and Burns can pick Martinez off and Brett Smith plays lights out

Again, I admit our chances are slim, but it there is a chance, it isn't a for sure loss.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

You play to win the game. Plain the simple.

But overall, Nebraska is expected to win BIG. My main hope: Make sure Brett Smith emerges from this game 100% healthy. Pelini's defenses are always dirty......one nasty hit on Smith could have the season end before is started. If he emerges healthy, Wyoming is in good shape.
YankPoke
Cowpoke

I expect to have a game like against Texas last year. I think we will keep it close and might have a chance to make it a game like we did in the fourth in Texas. I don't think we will win but being the first game of the year I give us a small chance at it if everything went in our favor for the day then who knows.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:You play to win the game. Plain the simple.

But overall, Nebraska is expected to win BIG. My main hope: Make sure Brett Smith emerges from this game 100% healthy. Pelini's defenses are always dirty......one nasty hit on Smith could have the season end before is started. If he emerges healthy, Wyoming is in good shape.
I agree.
But serious question J-Rod...IF we are to win this game, we can almost guarantee it is gonna be because of Brett Smith. Not our smothering D or our punishing run game. And it is not gonna be a blowout. If we win I am guessing it will be a game in the high 20s, 30s, or even the 40s.

So if we win this game, and it is because of Brett Smiths late game heroics, what does that do for the Wyo football program?
We would be 1-0 with a Top 25 upset, then playing Idaho at home. Do we sell that game out? Get 25K+?
Does our team have the mentality to keep grinding and destroy Idaho or are they weak enough that they slip up and lose to Idaho?

People talk about having a good program and the Nebraska game could propel us.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Did I miss something...last time I checked Ohio State is a not only the favorite to win the B1G, but potentially the national championship. And don't forget Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin. Hell, Northwestern might be pretty salty next year too.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

People that want Wyo to be the next TCU and Utah, kinda expect us to pull off the type of season that Utah had, going into the Big House and beating Michigan, beating Oregon State at home, then eventually beating TCU is a close crazy game that eventually decided that MWC champion, but rarely remember the type of seasons they had to get to that point. Where they went from winning 6 games a year to 8 to 10 then happened to get everything to go their way in one lucky season.

I just want us to pull off the magic that Utah did in their year when they beat Bama in the Sugar Bowl.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote:

Did I miss something...last time I checked Ohio State is a not only the favorite to win the B1G, but potentially the national championship. And don't forget Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin. Hell, Northwestern might be pretty salty next year too.
Yeah Northwestern kinda came out of no where and is gonna be friggin good. Wisconsin is gonna be good but I donno if they will win the conference for the 4th straight year. And definintely tOSU is gonna be AWESOME.
The entire Big10 is gonna be great this season.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Did I miss something...last time I checked Ohio State is a not only the favorite to win the B1G, but potentially the national championship. And don't forget Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin. Hell, Northwestern might be pretty salty next year too.
LOL That is funny....I meant Nebraska is expected to win the game against Wyoming BIG.....not the conference. BIG...not B1G.

Nebraska has a huge advantage in the trenches.....as expected. They just get much better talent than UW does. That doomed UW last year, and it will doom them again......QBs cannot do everything. Brett Smith proved that last season. Football is a TEAM sport. And contrary to popular belief, Smith cannot superman his way through the season.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Ah, lol...that makes much more sense.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:The bad news for us, is that in the Wisconsin game where they gave up 70 points, they Wisconsin had 2 RBs that had 200+ yards and another that had 100+ yards...We can not run the ball that well. At all. We have not ever had a Montee Ball. Even as good as Demo and Wynell were, they were no Montee Ball.

But the good news is that in the game to Georgia, they gave up over 400 yards in the air to Aaron Murray.

And after looking at their roster it looks like they lost quite a few members of their secondary to graduation.

I beg to differ... We had Ryan (the Rhino) Christopherson back in the 90's. He was always good for 1,400+ yards. And that's when we were passing for close to 3,000 yards as well.

But, I do agree, I like our young backs, but, they are a few years away from being legitimate threats, I think.
Smith may bust out 100+. He is capable.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I'm hoping for a game similar to the one in 94, except no muffed punt at the end which gave Nebraska the game.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

We definitely have a chance of winning at Nebraska. To many people continue to think Wyoming isn't capable. They are capable and I honestly believe if Wyoming stays healthy they can win big games. This year we just need to shore up the defense and block up front a little better and we can be a team capable of beating a team like Nebraska. Why not? Nevada beats big programs and they're definitely on the same level as Wyoming. Even Air Force gave Michigan a game last year. We had both those teams on the ropes. Wyoming is overdue for a big year, why can't it be this year? The schedule is this year is very favorable and I see big things happening.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:
But serious question J-Rod...IF we are to win this game, we can almost guarantee it is gonna be because of Brett Smith. Not our smothering D or our punishing run game. And it is not gonna be a blowout. If we win I am guessing it will be a game in the high 20s, 30s, or even the 40s.
I actually disagree here. Our offense will score. I hope our run game opens up this year to help balance the offense. But if we are to win this game, it means our defense has finally woken up and kept Nebraska from putting up 21 or more points on us.

Here's to the defense waking up and playing tough nosed this year!
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

If our defense hasn't improved, then our overall record can't improve. That's what it all comes down to. At the end of the day it doesn't matter that you scored 56 points if the other team scored 63. Smiths a stud. He'll carry the load offensively, and HOPEFULLY will have a little more help this year with the young supporting cast having a year of experience under their belt, but it all comes down to whether or not we can apply pressure to opposing QBs, get some D-Line push, and force some 3 and outs. I would just like to see us play with more fire. An inspired and passionate team is a scary team. We could surprise some people if some of the other kids play with the heart that Smith and Ghaali play with.