Outstanding Border Wars game

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
pbpokefan
Buckaroo

OMG what a game, I want to hear what it was like being there, I was going crazy watching it at home. :lol:
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Now that was a hell of a win. We are still making a few freshman mistakes, but we are playing like we want to win. This team is peaking at the right time.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Great win, glad we pulled it out. The last camera shots of the crowd after the game was over made it look like the entire upper half of the stadium on one side was all cowboy fans. Can anyone confirm? Were there a lot of Cowboy fans there, or did I see it wrong? I could hear the cowboy fans making some noise numerous times, so great job cheering on the team for those who were there.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

This is what I think...Afam Muojeke is going to be a great player! He was absolutely clutch and even came down with some big rebounds.

And geez did Thiam ever make some boneheaded plays tonight and almost cost us the game. WTH was that long outlet pass? And the foul at the end...if you are going to foul at least make it hard enough where the shot has no chance to go in.

Overall, I think this is the biggest win of the season considering it is the first road conference win! Go Pokes!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

There were a lot of Poke fans there. Announced crowd was 5500. I'd say about 1500 were Poke fans. They sounded a lot louder than that. Great game to be at. We looked listless for much of the first 1/2. What was really great to see was how many points we scored in the paint. CSU played really hard. That was the biggest crowd in that place in a long time. They gave away free border war t-shirts to the first 500 students plus 1 dollar hot dogs. Miles went crazy at one point and should have got a T. I thought Schroyer was going to pop an artery when Thiam threw a length of court pass out bounds near the end. Thiam has improved leaps and bounds and really played quite well. Afam is improving his rebounding and defense.

Having said that, it was not nearly as noisy or exciting as when Bailey made a huge shot there for a tight win 7 0r 8 years ago. Then, the gym was packed. Not even close tonight. Still, a very well played game in the second half.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

pbpokefan wrote:OMG what a game, I want to hear what it was like being there, I was going crazy watching it at home. :lol:
It was a good atmosphere...probably 1000 - 1500 UW fans. The fart is full of dna riflehead, but there was not any friction that I saw! A ton of excitement, esp in the 2nd half. CSU looked like they couldn't miss from the 3, but the good guys still won. Man, it has to SUCK TO BE A CSU RAM!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Regarding the end of the game, how do you not foul up 3 with 8 seconds left. This isn't a slam on Schroyer because most coachs don't foul in that situation but i believe you got to foul around half court and not give them a chance to hit a desperation 3 to tie it up. Especially the way CSU was shooting free throws. I guess it all worked out because they didn't make the 3 and shows why i'm not a coach. Great win pokes. We should be able to win down at AF and come home for the final two home games with a lot of momentum. 3 down 3 more to go.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote:
pbpokefan wrote:OMG what a game, I want to hear what it was like being there, I was going crazy watching it at home. :lol:
It was a good atmosphere...probably 1000 - 1500 UW fans. The fart is full of dna riflehead, but there was not any friction that I saw! A ton of excitement, esp in the 2nd half. CSU looked like they couldn't miss from the 3, but the good guys still won. Man, it has to SUCK TO BE A CSU RAM!
McPeachy, you missed the fight with some UW and sheep students. It was in Section K at the end of the game. Some CSewe douche was flipping off the Wyoming fans and running his mouth. A UW student punched him right in the nose. Of course security jumped in and hauled out the UW student leaving the CSewe douche still popping off.
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

Game was pretty good, but we still have a long way to go. Our first half defense seemed slow to me, and CSewe got a lot of open shots on the wings and in the corners. First half offense seemed slow and uninspired, but second half was somewhat better in all aspects of the game. I do have to say though that if CSewe had made their free throws, they probably win going away. We got the W on the road, and I'm happy about that, but I'm not convinced that playing like that we win against BYU or NM at home.

As to the crowd, I'd agree that there were about 1500 Wyo fans there, but we seemed very spread out. Crowd was loud and Wyo fans were supportive. We sat in the upper section amidst a lot of green and gold, and the home fans were pretty good most of the game. End of the game was pretty exciting, and our one year old daughter gave me some "Dad, have you gone crazy?" looks.

But did anyone else notice the ticket nazi's? We got asked to show our stubs no less than 3 times, and any Wyo fan that sat near us got the same treatment. At least one current student I know got removed from the Wyo section because he bought a general admission ticket. I don't remember the "security" at the Whale ever being so tight. What was up with that?

GO POKES!
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

[quote][Regarding the end of the game, how do you not foul up 3 with 8 seconds left. This isn't a slam on Schroyer because most coachs don't foul in that situation but i believe you got to foul around half court and not give them a chance to hit a desperation 3 to tie it up. Especially the way CSU was shooting free throws. I guess it all worked out because they didn't make the 3 and shows why i'm not a coach. Great win pokes. We should be able to win down at AF and come home for the final two home games with a lot of momentum. 3 down 3 more to go.
TSpoke
WyoNation Buckaroo

E-mail /quote]

You make them earn their points..If you foul and they miss the second shot or get fouled on a tip in you have lost..They make the first miss the second and follow with a foul and hit the basket?

If you watched the final play and listened to what Miles said the play was to get Walker a look at a three.Ewing covered him baseline to baseline and wouldn't let him get the ball.CSU missed the pick to free him,,,end of game.

I agree in the first half we were slow on defense.Schroyer made a great sun because CSU's big man was knocking down threes and Waddell couldn't guard him away from the basket so Schroyer went with Djbril who can guard away from the basket. I thought he kept Liskens in to long again.

First 10 minutes offense was flat and we went down 11.Second 10 minutes of the first half out offense ws better and we ccut the lead to 2. Schroyer has to continue to drill the players in practice but when its game time let them play and get a rhythm.

Muojeke and Ewing were huge in taking over.

Some very bad foul calls in favor of CSU like the call on Tyson when he didn't move with arms straight up or the foul on Ogirri when he didn't touch the CSu rebounder.

Djbril has to think,that dumb foul almost cost the game.

Good win....one step at a time boys
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I see your point PL. By just playing defense and making them hit the 3 the worst that could happen is the game could go into overtime. From a coaching standpoint if they make the shot and go on to win in overtime its because they earned it but if you foul and end up losing because of something like you pointed out then its because of the coachs call. I still believe fouling gives you the best chance to win but i understand why they don't do it. Its easy to yell at the tv screen what i think they should do. I agree that Brandon did a great job covering Walker on that play.

I love our chances of finishing the season on a six game winning streak and being extremely dangerous in vegas.
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

winning out would be great and most certainly get us into the post season even if we don't win the MWC...

that fouling reminded me of a play brandon's freshman year in the Tourney Championship we were down three. brandon heard fisher tell his players to fpoul and not to let the cowboys get up a three...brandon is approaching the SDSU defender and he is just over half court near the hash..As the defender starts to commit the foul Brandon elevates and tries to fire a shot from the hash and his hacked across his arm and the balls flie over to leven..The ref swallowed his whistle and didn't make the call..He should have at least called it before the shot but to make no call was horrible...Bit the moral of the story was that by not playing defense and trying to foul almost got us to the FT line for 3 shots to tie and go to a second overtime and Slaughter had fouled out.

Kind of like the prevent defense in football..prevents the team from winning :D
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

Fouling when you are up by three with only seconds remaining can be a very tricky situation. If the situation presents itself to make a safe foul, I think you have to do it. I saw this executed perfectly last weekend. I think it was the Maryland vs. North Carolina game. NC was bring the ball up the floor and the player handling the ball dribbled over to make hand-off/pick for one their 3 point shooters. The guy guarding the player handing the ball off/setting the pick stepped out immediately and bumped the player receiving the handoff. Smart play on his part as he had absolutely no reason to worry about his guy rolling to the basket since NC needed a three. The NC player receiving the hand off didn't have a chance to even think about throwing up a shot before he was bumped. Sent him to the line with 1.5 seconds left. Game over. Who knows how that game turns out if tha shot is let loose...especially from a good 3 point shooting team like NC. I didn't get to see the Wyo vs. CSU game yet, so I'm not entirely sure on the specific play ran by CSU, etc. Thus, I'll hold my opinion on what the Pokes should have done until I actually see how the play was developing. I like the idea of fouling in that situation though, especially with CSU being so hot from behind the arc and it being in Fort Collins. Oh well, it all worked out for us anyway.
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

CSU was really hot in the 1st half, not so much in the 2nd half.Walker was basically scoreless after Ewing swtiched to guarding him but he did hit one with under a minute left to cut the lead to one.

The last play by CSU was supposed to be Walker inbounds the ball and they set a pick to free him up for the last shot attempt. Ewing guarded him from the baseline and shadowed him down the court't get the ball to Walker.That is why Miles was so upset with his team,the play broke down,the pick wasn't good and they didn't get Walker a shot attempt.

I don't think Schroyer trusts them to foul on purpose the way they foul when they shouldn't.Wait until you see Djbrils foul that they could have tied with if they hit the ft.He won't even let them near the lane on foul shots with the game on the line LOL :D
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Yeah this probably wasn't as good of an opportunity to use the foul as the MAryland NC game. There was still prob too much time after the foul would have happened for something to go wrong. I thought it was a good chance to discuse the pros and cons of fouling when up 3. It was good defense on that last play. PL you're probably right about HS not trusting them to foul correctly. Someone would have ended up fouling on the shot or something. :o
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

PL_Julian wrote:
Djbril has to think,that dumb foul almost cost the game.

Good win....one step at a time boys
Am I the only one that thinks this was probably the worst call all game. Thiam basically let the guy go right by, he might have bumped him very slightly, but didn't hack or grab or anything else for that matter. Usually refs swallow the whistle late in the game to make sure they don't affect the outcome. This definitely should have been a no call IMHO.

I saw over on Sheepnation that they were bitching about the reffing, but it seemed pretty even to me, minus that call on Thiam cause that could have cost the Pokes the game. I agree though, that call on Tyson was an absolute joke. How else are you supposed to defend. Are you no longer allowed to put your arms up?? Good thing Heath sat him down for a bit, he was chasing after the refs a little bit. No need for a T that late in the game.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

TSpoke wrote:Yeah this probably wasn't as good of an opportunity to use the foul as the MAryland NC game. There was still prob too much time after the foul would have happened for something to go wrong. I thought it was a good chance to discuse the pros and cons of fouling when up 3. It was good defense on that last play. PL you're probably right about HS not trusting them to foul correctly. Someone would have ended up fouling on the shot or something. :o
I think that not fouling was the way to go. Especially with the way Perry was driving through and getting put-backs. It could have ended costing us the game.
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

Am I the only one that thinks this was probably the worst call all game. Thiam basically let the guy go right by, he might have bumped him very slightly, but didn't hack or grab or anything else for that matter. Usually refs swallow the whistle late in the game to make sure they don't affect the outcome. This definitely should have been a no call IMHO

The player was already past Djbril and instead of conceding the layup he jumped behind him and although he didn't reach or attempt to block the shot he put himself in a position to havethat foul called..It almost appeared that after he jumped he realized and tried to pull back but to late..It was a foul ,a ticky tack but a foul and on the road that call won't go our way..And that wasn't the only blond momnet Djbril had..What about him trying to throw the baseball pass to Tyson? Its not like tyson was downcourt alone.

The other bad call in the crunch was the foul called on Ogirri when he had inside position on gardner and gardner was off balance and fell back and the called the foul on Sean who was in front of him.

CSU was jumping over the backs of cowboys with no calls,in one particular play the CSu player went over the back and through Waddell....

Damn good win because the cowboys could have reverted to pouting and complaining like earlier in the season.Instead they toughed up and Afam and brandon made big plays and hit big free throws down the stretch and that follow dunk by Tyson as sweet