The economy hits UW Athletics

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
youngpoke
Buckaroo

and down goes Wildfire (supposedly). Will anyone miss them?
Also, just saw highlights of a game in a progress (SDSU-BYU) on sportscenter. Since when does the MTN. get props on SC? And Wyo gets a quick mention for being the "bad loss" for SDSU on their Tournament Resume.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I hate to say that they were not as good as the dancers from other schools (UNLV - very talented and hot). I would have thought that would be a small, even tiny part of the budget. We need a hot dance team. It's good time-out entertainment.
PApokesPhan
Ranch Hand

the wildfire were absolutely awful... i felt embarrassed for them by just watching them.
cheypoke
Ranch Hand

That would be a real shame if its true? Where did this info come from? I agree they havent been very good the last couple years, but they have on and off in the past. It all depends totally on who the sponsor/coach is. This goes for the cheerleaders too. There are very qualified coaches in the area that would not need a big budget. The problem has been with the ath dept treating them like crap. I find it hard to believe that cutting Wildfire is a budget issue. Their budget is miniscule. You really need to have a dance team at a Div I college game.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

PApokesPhan wrote:the wildfire were absolutely awful... i felt embarrassed for them by just watching them.
I disagree...and thought they have been much better, and much better than their conference counterparts for several years.

Of course the source (that says they are awful) must be evaluated as well. Most "fans" that actually do watch them dance probably expect more of a Clown's Den style of dance than what they see on the floor. There is a little difference in style. :lol:

If UW fans want to see brass pole dancing, pay attention and go watch the UNLV dancers. Afterwords, you can drop a $20 on them and get a lap-dance downtown. Don't forget, we have UW blue hairs running the show in Laramie.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

cheypoke wrote:That would be a real shame if its true? Where did this info come from? I agree they havent been very good the last couple years, but they have on and off in the past. It all depends totally on who the sponsor/coach is. This goes for the cheerleaders too. There are very qualified coaches in the area that would not need a big budget. The problem has been with the ath dept treating them like crap. I find it hard to believe that cutting Wildfire is a budget issue. Their budget is miniscule. You really need to have a dance team at a Div I college game.
I don't think the rumor is true...but you never know, I guess we will see next fall. I thought they have been pretty outstanding the last few years (and would be disappointed to see them gone). The cheerleaders have been solid as well...except for the one Orca cheerleader that gained like 100 pounds as the season went on.

Here is proof again...winning cures everything...are we really bitching about cheerleaders & wildfire? Lame.
Dear Karma,

cheypoke
Ranch Hand

Agreed McPeach, we are spending our time talking cheer/dance rather than basketball. But i do feel for those kids, they try too and that is their sport. I hate to see it go down hill. I would disagree a bit about the cheerleading though. That skill level is not where it should be. There are highschool cheer programs in this state that have better skills than that. The heavy girl should never have been on the squad either. And that is another indication that the admin isn't paying any attention to the spirit squads. Also, i agree about the style of dance. You can tell which programs have poor coaches, they are the ones dancing like strippers rather than well choreagraphed dances with high skill levels. Good dance teams dont need that "shock value" to entertain. CSU ued to have top cheer/dance teams and then they fell totally apart, just now rebuilding. UNLV has always been little more than showgirls. SDSU has had some good teams.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

cheypoke wrote:Agreed McPeach, we are spending our time talking cheer/dance rather than basketball. But i do feel for those kids, they try too and that is their sport. I hate to see it go down hill. I would disagree a bit about the cheerleading though. That skill level is not where it should be. There are highschool cheer programs in this state that have better skills than that. The heavy girl should never have been on the squad either. And that is another indication that the admin isn't paying any attention to the spirit squads. Also, i agree about the style of dance. You can tell which programs have poor coaches, they are the ones dancing like strippers rather than well choreagraphed dances with high skill levels. Good dance teams dont need that "shock value" to entertain. CSU ued to have top cheer/dance teams and then they fell totally apart, just now rebuilding. UNLV has always been little more than showgirls. SDSU has had some good teams.
Very true...it is their sport, and I would bet a bunch of them are good at it (I admit to not knowing squat about cheerleading or dancing). Not sure about UW vs. high school...to be honest, I don't pay attention to any HS cheering teams, and if I did, would probably not see the guys in HS even close to being as talented as the guys in college...just like any activity or sport.

I do think though, that the wildfire group was talented, and probably performed ABOVE the head of the average UW fan...myself included. Shame if the rumor is true, really.

I do think the heavy girl gained her 100 on Christmas break or something, because I don't remember that rollie-pollie grazing at the War! She should go to CSewe...and would fit right in!

Anyway...on to more important things. We need the Pokes to trounce the Lamkins tonight at Moby Gym! Cheers Cheypoke! You going to the Mountain West tourney?
Dear Karma,

spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

I feel like I can comment a little bit on this situation. I grew up in a cheerleading home (my Mom coached HS and competitive cheerleading for 20+ years) and think I know what a talented squad looks like. I can tell you straight up that the cheerleading squad at UW (at least when I was there 2001-2006) was not even at the level of some of the better HS teams that I was able to watch. I know that in other parts of the country, cheerleading is considered an official sport and if you have the talent (especially as a guy) you can get full-ride scholarships just for cheering. I don't know what UW does scholarship-wise for its cheer teams, but I can hardly believe if they offer this kind of incentive for "recruits" to the university. Just like in any other college sport, talent follows the money. If the athletic department wants the team to improve, they need to be willing to put the money into the team, just like any other sport they offer.

On the other note, is that heavy girl you guys are referring to on the co-ed squad, or just the all-girl squad? I know when I was there they had a 120 lb weight limit for girls on the co-ed squad (I still don't think that rule is legal, but anyways...), but there wasn't a limit for the all-girl squad.
cheypoke
Ranch Hand

good info spin. I've been involved in some cheer activities for a while as well. There are actually some good highschool cheer squads here in the state and some very good dance squads as well. and that all goes to coaching. But UW has never made this a priority. Of course cheer isnt nearly has big here as in the south or east. But a really good spirit squad can really go a long way to improving your game-day experience (certainly something UW could use some help with). There is generally a 120 lb limit at the college level for girls. And its generally seen as enforceble due to safety issues. I've seen plenty of male cheerleaders injured from stunting with girls that were too big for that sort of thing. Of course she could be a base on the all girls squad and need to be bigger, but she should still be in good shape.