Starting QB job open for competition

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

BeaverPoke wrote:Seattlecowboy, you are wrong. Dead wrong.

Those QBs (Carr, Keaton, Fajita) all beat Wyoming, but was it because they are better than Brett Smith? Hell no.
How is Wyomings D giving up 63 points to Utah State show in ANY WAY that Keaton is better than brett smith? The game was over at half time. I was there. Keaton had 1 nice TD and the rest were just lil short passes and screens.

Carr and his offense put up 42 points on a deflated defense on Wyoming. So Carr is better?

Brett doesn't have the greatest arm strength but that is the ONLY thing you can say that he doesn't have going.
Like everyone is pointing out, if those QBs had to come into our situation, they would not be able to do anything that brett smith is.

Smith is the best. You are wrong. Thompson has no freakin shot at brett smith and if he honestly thinks he is gonna be the starter should be forced to take a drug test.
I am not saying Thompson is going to be the starter I just said he will compete for the position and I'm not dead wrong about Smith not being the best QB in the MWC. You have your brown and gold blinders on right now and I am not basing it on just arm strength. I just said that Keeton, Fajardo and Carr are all more accurate than Smith and Keeton and Fajardo can both run just as well as Smith can. Just like when you said Wyoming's basketball team was going to finish 28-3 or whatever ungodly prediction you posted. How is that turning out?

Unless Wyoming starts winning games I won't change my mind. I can't say a team that finished 4-8 on the season has the best QB in the conference. Sorry not going to happen. Yeah I know football is a team game and it takes more than one guy but you guys keep saying put this or that QB in Bretts situation and see how they do or if he had a running game then he would be the best.... All I keep hearing is "if, if , if" . Sorry but "ifs" don't make you the best QB in the league or win football games. I'm not going to argue about it anymore.

Here is an "if" for you.... "If" Brett Smith and Wyoming win some games next year and finish in the top half of the conference and "If" Brett outperforms all of those guys I'll be the first to come on here and say Brett is the best QB in the league. Until then my opinion stands. Like I said you don't have to like it. Either way you're welcome to your opinion.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

Haha! Wyoming needs a mediocre defense since we have a terrible one. A mediocre d would have won us how many games? I think Brett scored enough for us to win, our d just didn't stop anybody.
W-Y, Until I Die!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

seattlecowboy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:Seattlecowboy, you are wrong. Dead wrong.

Those QBs (Carr, Keaton, Fajita) all beat Wyoming, but was it because they are better than Brett Smith? Hell no.
How is Wyomings D giving up 63 points to Utah State show in ANY WAY that Keaton is better than brett smith? The game was over at half time. I was there. Keaton had 1 nice TD and the rest were just lil short passes and screens.

Carr and his offense put up 42 points on a deflated defense on Wyoming. So Carr is better?

Brett doesn't have the greatest arm strength but that is the ONLY thing you can say that he doesn't have going.
Like everyone is pointing out, if those QBs had to come into our situation, they would not be able to do anything that brett smith is.

Smith is the best. You are wrong. Thompson has no freakin shot at brett smith and if he honestly thinks he is gonna be the starter should be forced to take a drug test.
I am not saying Thompson is going to be the starter I just said he will compete for the position and I'm not dead wrong about Smith not being the best QB in the MWC. You have your brown and gold blinders on right now and I am not basing it on just arm strength. I just said that Keeton, Fajardo and Carr are all more accurate than Smith and Keeton and Fajardo can both run just as well as Smith can. Just like when you said Wyoming's basketball team was going to finish 28-3 or whatever ungodly prediction you posted. How is that turning out?

Unless Wyoming starts winning games I won't change my mind. I can't say a team that finished 4-8 on the season has the best QB in the conference. Sorry not going to happen. Yeah I know football is a team game and it takes more than one guy but you guys keep saying put this or that QB in Bretts situation and see how they do or if he had a running game then he would be the best.... All I keep hearing is "if, if , if" . Sorry but "ifs" don't make you the best QB in the league or win football games. I'm not going to argue about it anymore.

Here is an "if" for you.... "If" Brett Smith and Wyoming win some games next year and finish in the top half of the conference and "If" Brett outperforms all of those guys I'll be the first to come on here and say Brett is the best QB in the league. Until then my opinion stands. Like I said you don't have to like it. Either way you're welcome to your opinion.
Lol I never said wyo would go 28-3.
But even without the IFs of us having a good D or run game, Brett Smith is still the best QB in the MWC.
You don't have to have a good team to be the best QB.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Wyoirish wrote:Hey Seattle Cowboy-

I think you are pretty damn simplistic, and not looking at the entire picture when evaluating Brett's game, and ultimately being rather harsh. You name Carr, Fajardo, Fales, Keeton...as all being better than Brett, which is ludicrous and actually speaks volumes about your ability, or lack therof, to properly evaluate the position in the first place but lets take a look at these kids shall we?

You mention these guys...All of which have an important critical component going for them that allows them the ability to have more personal success and I would argue an overall easier path to that personal success...an effective run game. Carr had Rouse, 1000 yd rusher the past 2 years, Fajardo had Jefferson, who led the country at one point and also 1000 yd rusher. Fales had a 1000 yard rusher, and Keeton's back last year was a 1000 yd guy and is the current #2 for the Seattle Seahawks. His guy this year will also be an NFL guy and had over a 1000 yards rushing. Is this all some sort of cosmic coincidence? No. It frickin speaks to how important an effective run game is to the overall success of a team, and ultimately to QB play and Brett has never had that luxury since he has been a Wyoming Cowboy. He has earned everything he has accomplished without that luxury which is pretty amazing.

Honestly, how do you think defenses go into each week trying to defend us? I'll give you a hint... It ain't a very tough gameplan to stop Wyoming. Who do you have stop? Its no mystery. Stop Brett Smith...PERIOD. He has no 1000 yd rusher to help take the pressure off...hell, he doesnt even have a 500 yd rusher. Not only does he get ZERO help in the run game, he has to provide 50% of that as well! For these teams like FSU, BSU, TEX its an easy gameplan to only have to stop Brett, and I would argue even with that simple plan, these teams never shut him down completely. poop, he cant do it alone.

Trade QB's and see what happens. Carr cant face pressure, escape and buy time like Brett can...which is what he had to do so often this season. If you dont believe me watch the Hawaii Bowl this year... Carr's lack of courage in the face of that AWESOME and defensive stalwart SMU rush was pitiful. Fajardo is a good QB but his game is based on play action primarily and is not a progression read offense. I would love to see all the guys you mention trade spots with Brett to see what they would be able to do while being the sole threat offensively. I got a pretty good idea how that would go.

In regards to Brett's arm strength, he had a torn frickin artery in his throwing arm that caused blood clots in his passing hand last year which made gripping the ball next to impossible let alone throwing it, and he played the entire year with it before anyone knew what the hell was wrong with it. This year watch the deep ball to Robb from his own end zone against Texas, or the two 65 yard bombs to Dom vs Toledo, or the three bombs to Chris in Idaho, or the bomb to Robb vs SDSU in the face of a 35 MPH wind, or the 50 yard TD pass he threw on the run to Jalen vs Nevada then get back to me about his arm strength.

Cracks me up how tough some fans are on Brett, but mark this down, that come 5, 10, 20 years from now he'll be the the barometer foe QB play at Wyoming, the measuring stick...he will be the most prolific Wyoming QB ever and his accomplishments will be remembered for a very long time. People will definitely appreciate what they had with him...after he's gone. You better enjoy it now while you can because its going fast and very soon, he will be gone.
+100 :popcorn:
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Seattle, I don't think Peyton Manning in his prime would be able to do so much w so little help from the def side of the ball. It's unfortunate that you are giving off the impression you believe we have a mediocre starting qb. There are many variables you can look at (play calling, run game, talent, dropped passes-huge in Toledo game that would've put us up 3 tds early), and I just can't wrap my head around your argument in poor accuracy in smith. Or how j-rod said he doesn't do anything against good teams. He killed tcu his freshman campaign. He was shredding Texas then McNeil dropped big passes. This kid will be a draft pick. No goggles on here.

The only way you should be putting blame on Brett instead of the defense for any losses last year should solely lie on him getting concussed and not playing...which were sole reasons for L's by a combination of offensive and defensive ineptitude. Brett crushes Air Force's awful defense last yr.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Did he not go and compete in the upper section of an elite qb camp run by the Mannings???
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 252 times

I can't believe that there is any debate upon the starting QB position on here. It is solid. Thompson may rotate in to save Brett on some QB run plays (we don't need any more concussions) as we have seen the past two years with the semi "wildcat package".
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Yes Brett Smith and Cody Fajoro from Nevada went to the Manning QB camp. And even more impressive, Brett Smith was the ONLY underclassmen in the country to be put on the Manning Watch List for best QB in the country.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Brett isn't going to last as our QB for very long the way we use him and depend on him. His two concussions last year proved that. Thompson could be our guy not because of a competition but because of injury.

I very much hope I'm wrong but it will happen unless we are smarter with Brett.
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

Not a top 15 QB?.. He finished in the top 10-15 in multiple statistical categories last year.. He also has the greatest awareness I have ever seen in an underclassman QB. Re-watch the games, he feels the rush better than anyone I have seen in a long time, at any level. But I wouldn't expect you to pick up on that after reading your previous comments...
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyogogo wrote:Not a top 15 QB?.. He finished in the top 10-15 in multiple statistical categories last year.. He also has the greatest awareness I have ever seen in an underclassman QB. Re-watch the games, he feels the rush better than anyone I have seen in a long time, at any level. But I wouldn't expect you to pick up on that after reading your previous comments...
+1

Now that he is a junior...and if the rumors are true about DC being the OC as well....I think Brett Smith and this offense go off this year. DC wants to save his job. Even if it is for a bigger job someday...he still wants to keep this one. He will be having Brett doing big things with the ball.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I agree, this years offense will be incredible. If our offensive line can fill the spots vacated by last years seniors it will be an exciting season. With Brett, the Wick / May combo at RB and Herron, Claiborne, Rufran, Norman and the big red poop freshmen receivers it looks good. I love the pick up of the big TE. Finally we may see some power sets to help us on the 3rd down and short conversations. I love the spread but its tough to pick up 3 yards when your backs are so deep and the defense knows its coming. I think with DC calling the plays you're going to see an offense with his personality. Not that Greg Brandon wasn't good, its just that our offensive game had his personality too. I'll take DC and his kick ass and take names attitude any day. After all its what he was brought here for.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

mwc fan wrote:I agree, this years offense will be incredible. If our offensive line can fill the spots vacated by last years seniors it will be an exciting season. With Brett, the Wick / May combo at RB and Herron, Claiborne, Rufran, Norman and the big red poop freshmen receivers it looks good. I love the pick up of the big TE. Finally we may see some power sets to help us on the 3rd down and short conversations. I love the spread but its tough to pick up 3 yards when your backs are so deep and the defense knows its coming. I think with DC calling the plays you're going to see an offense with his personality. Not that Greg Brandon wasn't good, its just that our offensive game had his personality too. I'll take DC and his kick ass and take names attitude any day. After all its what he was brought here for.
I agree, if DC takes over as the OC, it will be exciting. But I think it can only go two ways. We look like Missouri from the DC days or we look like a total chaotic f-word, as our Head Coach is no longer paying attention to the entire game and every little nuance that that entails, and instead is thinking specifically at how we need to move the ball on the next series with a tunnel vision you'd expect from an assistant. But it will be exciting. I hope he does it. This way, if he succeeds, we probably get a winning team back that is competitive in most games. If he doesn't succeed, we get a new coach.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

As far as we have heard it is still rumored that he will be the OC. I hope it is true. I hope he comes out and says that he will be the OC.
WestSalemFootballFan
Buckaroo

Brett is going psycho (in a controlled, stay in the game kind of way) this year. You can count on that. If his teammates step up, they'll win. If not, it'll be a long year.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestSalemFootballFan wrote:Brett is going psycho (in a controlled, stay in the game kind of way) this year. You can count on that. If his teammates step up, they'll win. If not, it'll be a long year.
I think Brett will have an amazing year, and can get 40 passing TDs.
That is a huge number, but with a possible MWC Championship game and a possible Bowl Game, he can definintely do it.

For people to see how good he really is, we need to beat Nebraska and he needs to have a big time game, same with Boise St.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote: I think Brett will have an amazing year, and can get 40 passing TDs.
That is a huge number, but with a possible MWC Championship game and a possible Bowl Game, he can definintely do it.

For people to see how good he really is, we need to beat Nebraska and he needs to have a big time game, same with Boise St.
See Beaver, I told you! Only took one month for you to go from debbie downer to having your head up in the clouds again. :P
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote: I think Brett will have an amazing year, and can get 40 passing TDs.

See Beaver, I told you! Only took one month for you to go from debbie downer to having your head up in the clouds again. :P
Lol in all fairness, did anyone else really think I could stay away? :lol:

But on a serious note, looking at Brett Smith alone, to gain some actual credibility to his resume (other than the Idahos, CSUs, NMs, UNLV, etc.) he will have to have big games against those two teams and probably win those ones.
Does anyone know if the Nebraska game is gonna be on TV? I guess maybe the Big10 network.
This sounds kina homerish but for his NFL resume I think beating Nebraska on TV would be a good start.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote: Lol in all fairness, did anyone else really think I could stay away? :lol:

But on a serious note, looking at Brett Smith alone, to gain some actual credibility to his resume (other than the Idahos, CSUs, NMs, UNLV, etc.) he will have to have big games against those two teams and probably win those ones.
Does anyone know if the Nebraska game is gonna be on TV? I guess maybe the Big10 network.
This sounds kina homerish but for his NFL resume I think beating Nebraska on TV would be a good start.
It would help, but he needs better protection.....against the big boys, he's constantly being overwhelmed. Can't do anything when you're on your back majority of the time. The RB play is well below average too......Brett's limitations are all about those around him, nothing to do with coaching or his talents.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote: Lol in all fairness, did anyone else really think I could stay away? :lol:

It would help, but he needs better protection.....against the big boys, he's constantly being overwhelmed. Can't do anything when you're on your back majority of the time. The RB play is well below average too......Brett's limitations are all about those around him, nothing to do with coaching or his talents.
That is true, but for our help against Nebraska they did lose Rex Burkehead and a lot of their D-Line.
Hopefully they aren't ready to go quite yet when we play them.

And I just remembered we have Tedder Easton. The kid should have been playing since his freshman year. I hope he gets used a lot in short yardage situations. He is a big kid that runs hard.